Explanation please. I don't understand how this can be...

Options
I just recently signed my husband up to MFP. His daily goals are 1,730 cals, 238 carbs, 58 fat, & 65 protein. His activities are very sedentary.
Today he had cereal and coffee for breakfast, coffee, 2 oz rum and pepsi for lunch, pork stir fry & rice for dinner, tea & a hotcross bun for a snack.
His totals were 1,289 cals, 148 carbs, 16 fat & 30 protein. No exercise or water.
After I updated everything, MFP said if he ate like this everyday he would lose 10lbs in 5 weeks. How is that possible???
I exercise for 1 1/2 hrs each day for a 1lb loss each week and he can lay on the couch holding the remote and loses 2lbs a weeek???

Someone please explain this to me. He doesn't have much of an incentive here to start exercising!

Replies

• Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Because he's not eating enough. The in 5 weeks you will weigh whatever isn't necessarily true.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's simple, 1300 calories for any decent sized guy is extremely low, thus he will lose lots of weight quickly but it's going to be extremely hard to maintain that. He needs to be eating his goal at least, 1700-1800 sounds somewhat reasonable (you didn't mention any vital stats so it's impossible to say).
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Also be mindful that men, who tend to be taller and more muscular and have bigger/more dense bones are going to burn calories faster than most women. Sucks and it's unfair, but that's life.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Men have a higher metabolism than women. 1289 calories is not enough for a man. Even if he is sedentary. Tell him exercising will help build and tone his muscles, otherwise he will be soft and flabby when he loses all that weight. =)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Just because he ate so few calories and is "supposedly" going to lose X amount of weight in 5 weeks: he's a very UNHEALTHY eater and it will eventually catch up with him. Don't be too quick to be jealous of his projected weight loss. Unhealthy is still deadly even if you're skinny.

JMHO...
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be fat than eating that daily intake everyday. It just doesn't sound healthy or fresh or like "body fuel" to me. Sorry... but I'd be a little less jealous and just keep moving and eating well.

And trust me, I understand the feeling. I can't stand that my boyfriend is 6' tall and a twig and I'm 5'6" and I still feel chunky. But it's no use comparing because we'll never figure it out. :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    IHe doesn't have much of an incentive here to start exercising!

And you nor anyone else can get him to do that. It's up to the individual to want it. Doesn't sound like he's as interested in being healthy as you are. Just stick to doing what you know is right for YOU. When you're healthier, he'll more than likely want some of the same results your enjoying.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It makes sense when you do the maths - he ate 500 cals less than his MFP goal - which already include a deficit.
    That means he could well lose 2 pounds a week, ie. 10 pounds in 5 weeks.

The reality though, is that he isn't going to get healthy eating such a small amount of food and if he chooses to eat so few calories every day he definitely shouldn't be exercising.
    It would be much better to eat more (ie. eat what MFP has recommended) and do some exercise. Very low calorie diets are a recipe for failure in my opinion.
  • lynne172
    lynne172 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone. He's not losing weight just staying lumpy. Like someone said...when he starts noticing the change sin me then he'll wise up I'm sure.
  • ashley67203
    Options
    Be ready to work harder than him. I've been counting calories and exercising every day for two years just to maintain on the high side of a healthy BMI. My husband eats and drinks whatever he wants, then mows the lawn and he's down a jeans size. The weight just falls off of him if he wants it to. Stupid genetics...
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    All he had for "lunch" was rum and Pepsi and you're concerned about what MFP randomly says he'll lose in five weeks? I'd say there's a bigger picture of nutritional intake that needs to be addressed there.