Not meeting the count

Options
I hope all are well, having a great week, and avoiding negative self-talk....

I know this will sound silly, especially because I'm trying to lose weight. I kept going under the calorie count. by easily 10 % of my weekly amount. Do I have my days when I go over? Absolutely, but not often and the week falls short nonetheless. I know it's important to not eat too few calories. So how do I consume more without turning to the donut?

I am losing weight, but that will stop if I continue with under-consumption. (I plateau easily...) I'm concerned as I know summer is coming and the salad days will arrive, which have even less calories. If I can modify things now, they will become habit before the heat arrives in force. Recipes, ideas, or general discussion.....??

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• kelzpop
    kelzpop Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have been wondering as well. I just recently increased my calorie goal to try and break a plateau, but I am finding it hard to get that many calories. I'm just not hungry. Sorry, wish I could help. Maybe adding some veggies and dip as a snack?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Scan back through the forums and you will find countless topics on this issue, with lots of great lists of foods to help you reach your calories goal each day.

Well done for realising that eating too little isn't a good plan for long term health.

In general, I think the best way to go is to look at WHAT you are eating and add some extra calorie dense foods - avocado, cheese, olive oil dressing, full fat yoghurt, nuts, brown rice, red meat etc to each meal. This way you aren't eating a lot more volume of food but you are getting more energy (ie. calories) and good nutirtion too.

Don't eat "diet" foods - many of them are overprocessed and have unnecessary additives (chemicals, starches, sodium etc) to replace the fat and sugar they have removed.

PS. It's nearly Easter, can't believe I left dark chocolate (in moderation!) off my list.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Find your healthy vices... high calorie but reasonably healthy items that you can use to bring up your calories when needed.

Nuts work great..
    Avacado
    Olive oil
    Apple / grapes / banana other sweet fruits
    Milk
    Granola / trail mix
    you get the idea...
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    noodles
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? Mine is 1500 so I can go under and it's not a problem unless it's more than 300 bringing me below 1200 (that has NEVER happened). I am under most days, but I'm on the 1 pound a week program.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    In general, I think the best way to go is to look at WHAT you are eating and add some extra calorie dense foods - avocado, cheese, olive oil dressing, full fat yoghurt, nuts, brown rice, red meat etc to each meal. This way you aren't eating a lot more volume of food but you are getting more energy (ie. calories) and good nutirtion too.

Don't eat "diet" foods - many of them are overprocessed and have unnecessary additives (chemicals, starches, sodium etc) to replace the fat and sugar they have removed.

^^^ This

I use REAL olive oil and vinegar on my salads, avacado on my wraps, walnuts on my oatmeal, flaxseeds in my protein shakes. It's really easy to get it done. You don't have to add another meal to get there. Really gets old seeing people say "but I can't eat all my calories, because I can't eat that much food".... well, then you're eating the WRONG foods! ;)
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I agree with finding healthy, higher calorie alternatives like nuts and oils. I also try to eat more of my calories during the day so I'm not stuck at 8-9 pm with 500-600 calories to consume. Also helps to fuel the workout when I eat them earlier. :) Good luck to ya...
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My favorites are:

1. Unsalted pistachios
    2. Mashed avocado on pita bread
    3. A tablespoonful of peanut butter (I like Fifty 50) mixed with 1 tsp honey (alone or on something yummy like celery)
    4. Protein shakes (there is a recipe thread of some really great whey protein shake recipes)
    5. Hard boiled eggs

:flowerforyou:
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You can do this, eating more is going to be better for you in the long run. We wouldn't be needing to lose weight if we couldn't eat more. Do alittle research, stick with full fat foods like cheese, nuts, oils etc. I love avocados, and olives in my salads or just to snack. Peanut butter on apples or in oatmeal etc. Regular milk instead of fat free or low fat.
    O and my favorite... an occasional treat. Everything in moderation. I try to remember that this is my new life.
    Good luck and you can do this.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have this problem often as well. The best way for me to still hit my calories is what people have said - add healthy things to what you're eating.

Like if I have eggs for breakfast, I'll use olive oil to cook to add a nice, healthy fat and some calories.
    Salad? Throw in some avocados, nuts, or use full fat dressing instead of light, etc.

Or if I'm still short but I've hit my protein, I'll give myself a snack like a 120 cal fruit bar or skinny cow ice cream.
  • Mosaic67
    Mosaic67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Suggestions I really like that work with all the above "problems" are avocados, yoghurt, eggs, and peanut butter for now.

I'm not really on the internet site much and didn't know how to search forums on the phone app. I'd begun cooking and eating vegetables more. For some strange reason it's more bulk and less calories. And meat I'd eat too. Then I had to go an shatter a molar so eating has gone back to soft foods and junk today.

For those that mentioned it, I'm on the 1#/week guide at 1,750 calories. I can overeat but get a bit sick because of medical problems when I do it. My big issue was eating the wrong things. My goal is fitness over weight loss, although I've quite a few to lose. I was 270 right before my last fusion and lost some. When I joined MFP I was down to 246 and in less than a month have lost 10 pounds (definitely the wrong foods!) I like the calorie tracking aspect because I am learning to be aware that I'm eating and what I eat, rather than just eating... My target weight is 185, but I care much more about how I look and feel than a number on a scale.

I've always found moderation is vital in everything, including moderation itself. I don't believe in eating "diet" foods because I'm changing a lifestyle. I know people who've lost a lot of pounds by strictly calorie counting, shakes (V diet), and programs such as Nutrisystem. At some point they have to go back to normal life and that's when pounds add up.

Thanks again!!! Best wishes to everyone - some incredible success stories!