Okay, how the heck did that happen???

Options
I have been dieting with myfitnesspal for 5 weeks now,during the first 2 weeks I lost 9 pounds - excellent if I do say so myself. Then for the next 3 weeks I lost nothing, very frustrating!!! I kept telling myself that I was gaining muscle since I was going to the gym often but I have been a gym member before and the weight came off easier. Anyways, my husband and I went away for a long weekend where I did not workout and cheated on my diet. I did not go crazy but I was certainly over my calories and enjoyed a very fattening and delicious dessert. This morning I was determined to get back onto the diet train and when I weighted myself I had actually lost 2 pounds???? How did that happen??? I am wondering if my calorie allotment is too small therefore causing my body to go into "starvation" mode and hold onto the fat? Has this happened to anyone else? Please let me know what you thing.

Replies

• mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would assume that would mean that you weren't eating enough calories especially on your work out days...do you eat any of your exercise calories on a regular basis?
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I feel for you on this one..I always thought my body was just "messed up" looks like i'm not alone. I'm in the gym everyday 2-3 hours a day, (averaging 1100 calories i'm burning) hardcore, I keep my calories at around 1400 total for the day, i'm on maintenance right now, but really wouldn't mind dropping another 2-3 pounds, I went on vacation to Florida, totally freaked out about not being able to work out the same, in fact , ever other day for only maybe an hour. I was a little more then lenient on the calories I ate, I had ice cream every single day......fast forward 16 days later, i'm back at work in the gym, down 5.5lbs?? i'm still confused over how that happened.
  • xmissxshelx
    xmissxshelx Posts: 21
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes - when I REALLY diet, not just cut back my food intake but actually diet, I usually maintain my weight or gain weight. When I eat what I want (within reason, of course. Not pigging out), I maintain a lower weight. It's really kind of retarded but... working out and burning it off is the biggest factor in weight loss I've found - and cutting out bad habits like drinking soda daily! Luckily I never had that problem but I know people that do and when they stop drinking soda, they lose about 10 lbs real fast.
  • soon2bemrsott
    Options
    How did that happen??? I am wondering if my calorie allotment is too small therefore causing my body to go into "starvation" mode and hold onto the fat? Has this happened to anyone else? Please let me know what you thing.

very possible, 1200 calories per day is really not alot, and it seems like Everyone is given 1200 calories per day. Even at weight watchers the amount of points you can have per day is based on your weight, so I would assume the same should go for calories. Maybe try giving yourself an allotment of say 1400 per day for a week and see if that does anything for you
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I got stuck for several weeks and even went up 2 lbs. I kept reading on here that you have to eat your calories and possibly even your exercise calories. I wasn't sure about that but I decided to try it and sure enough...I am losing weight, eating more, and exercising the same. Go figure but man is it awsome! lol Good job!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    How wonderful for all of you, I think it's great that you can actually eat something and have some fun and still lose weight. Awesome.
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    yea, I get confused sometimes too. I tend to lax on my calorie watching during the weekend. but I still try to stay somewhat on track with being busy doing something that wil hopefully help me to loose weight. and then when I weigh on Wensday I still tend to be loosing weight.

I believe that we need to overall listen to our bodies and if it wants to eat, then eat, but try to make it something healthy. some days you will be more hungry than other days.

:heart:
  • kickle88
    kickle88 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, it is nice to know that the same thing happens to others. I do always eat my exercise calories but sometimes feel guilty about eating more after working so hard at the gym. I think I will try adding 100 extra calories to my daily goal and see what happens. Also I bought a Wii this weekend and bought some workout type games - does anyone have any suggestions on the best games to lose weight? I did not buy the Wii fit balance board. Thanks again and happy dieting all.
  • nebulas
    nebulas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    hey, i found that reading the following links (that are actually here in this forum) answered a lot of my questions and i think they might help you too:

This one for sure:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

You can find other good links in the Newbie post here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • alaskancoppertop
    Options
    Don't forget, you can "shock" your system into losing weight again. I have been reading about it on here, that if you pleatu, you can shock your system by changing your workout for a few days, changing your diet, even go over your calories once in a while just to surprise your system. But do make sure you are getting enough calories.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You do not see results immediately from your eating. So if you have a 1000 calorie deficit today, you will not see a 1/3 pound weight loss tomorrow. It takes a while for your body to catch up. Sometimes a couple weeks, at least. Additionally, water weight fluctuates a lot. One day will not make or break a diet. So, I would assume that you have been doing all the right things, and that your body finally caught up. I wouldn't change anything yet. Stay the course and be patient.

Good luck.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    very possible, 1200 calories per day is really not alot, and it seems like Everyone is given 1200 calories per day. Even at weight watchers the amount of points you can have per day is based on your weight, so I would assume the same should go for calories. Maybe try giving yourself an allotment of say 1400 per day for a week and see if that does anything for you

Not everyone is given 1200. It is based on weight. Mine is 1540
  • soon2bemrsott
    Options

Not everyone is given 1200. It is based on weight. Mine is 1540

Thank you, I wasn't positive, but it is nice to know that they are using some kind of system.