Beginner deadlift question (less than 95#)

2»

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    My deadlift is at 65# now, and I can't wait to be able to use the 45 plates instead of the 25s so I can get the proper set up. For now, I'm just putting the bar on the floor and risking the bad form. It sucks. I shouldn't do it.

I should probably put the bar on a small box (they have those jump box things at my gym) or a few risers like for aerobic step ups. I can see it rolling off of plates, I understand how that is frustrating for you.

Try setting it on a short box or step up risers?

I'm so glad someone understands what I'm talking about! I will try 2 risers vertically next time and see if that helps, good idea. I'm did 75# at the last workout -- it's a long way to 135# :)
  • sleepytexan
    I understand what your saying but unless your gym has boxes or training plates you will need to use a rack. Just lower the pins to the lowest level and do your lifts from there. You wont be able to lower it all the way to the ground but it will have to work until you get up to a high enough weight.

Thank you. Unfortunately, lowest level on the rack is practically at my knees. (I'm short). Oh well. I'll try some risers vertically next time.
  • sleepytexan
    R u doing Zerchers squats as well? You can buy foam squares that arent expensive and cut a pcs out of the center to create a groove for your weight till you get heavier weight which shouldnt take a long time at all.... Friend me if you need any questions...
    Brian

Now that is an excellent idea!! Thank you!!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    My deadlift is at 65# now, and I can't wait to be able to use the 45 plates instead of the 25s so I can get the proper set up. For now, I'm just putting the bar on the floor and risking the bad form. It sucks. I shouldn't do it.

I should probably put the bar on a small box (they have those jump box things at my gym) or a few risers like for aerobic step ups. I can see it rolling off of plates, I understand how that is frustrating for you.

I'm so glad someone understands what I'm talking about! I will try 2 risers vertically next time and see if that helps, good idea. I'm did 75# at the last workout -- it's a long way to 135# :)

Try this with a couple rolled up towels on each side so they cant roll off.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Sometimes I will have a towel on top of the plates to help cushion when I set them down, maybe this would help to some degree? Worth a shot anyhow.
  • sleepytexan
    Sometimes I will have a towel on top of the plates to help cushion when I set them down, maybe this would help to some degree? Worth a shot anyhow.

Thank you. Now the ideas are coming!! That sounds perfect! :drinker:
  • sleepytexan

Try this with a couple rolled up towels on each side so they cant roll off.

awesome! thank you! :drinker:
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    The only reason to stack plates under the bar weights is to get it to the bar the right height off the floor for you. Doesn't have to be plates, but that's generally convenient in an area where you're doing deadlifts.

You can also try the square riser blocks that are put under step aerobics boards, provided your gym as that. One or two blocks per side will have you in the right height range, but you'll have to see for yourself.
  • sleepytexan
    The only reason to stack plates under the bar weights is to get it to the bar the right height off the floor for you. Doesn't have to be plates, but that's generally convenient in an area where you're doing deadlifts.

You can also try the square riser blocks that are put under step aerobics boards, provided your gym as that. One or two blocks per side will have you in the right height range, but you'll have to see for yourself.

another great idea. thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Hi,

You do have to start out deadlifting less than 95#, right?

My gym does not have all plates at 17", so I'm currently deadlifting 75# using small 10 and 5# plates. (just finished 5th workout using NROL4W).

So, how do you deadlift using plates smaller than 17"? Do you stack 1 or 2 plates flat on the floor on each side and rest the barbell on them? I stacked plates flat on the floor, but it is so awkward putting the bar back down; it rolls and sometimes falls off the stacked plates.

Is there a secret to this, or am I underestimating what I could do? Do I go right up to using 2 25# plates on the bar?

thanks.
    Use two steppers (from step classes) on both sides to support the weights up high enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    I used stacked plates or those little aerobic steps to Deadlift off of? Now my gym has bumper plates so I use those though. :)