Gps HRM watch??

Options
I was wondering if any of you have any opinions On the Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS-Enabled Sport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor?
What I want it for:
I'm training to run a half marathon (far from it but getting better each time) I'm up to a bit over a 5k

Currently I can track my GPS mile ran etc on my iPhone BUT I live in Washington.... It rains here ALOT and I don't always run outside because I don't want my phone wet

I want to track my heart rate so I can ACCURATELY track my calories burnt... Right now my Nike+GPS app say I burn 450 calories on a 5k run but I only eat 200 or so calories back because I know it overestimates it.

Does anyone know If I could use the watch I track my heart rate when lifting weights? On he treadmill? Obviously I wouldn't need he GPS feature for this

Thanks in advance!
Ps feel free to add me- female 5'7 lost 32.5 lbs so far looking to lose about 45.5 more :)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Garmin for sure (I use a Forerunner 610 - I like the touch screen and smaller form factor but it is more $$). There is an indoor setting for the Garmins for when you're on the treadmill etc but I seem to recall that the calorie calculations during weight sessions were questionable.

Depending on your weight & heart rate etc you could well be burning 450 cal in a 5K run. I know Runners World magazine will ballpark 125 cal per mile which would mean 375 for 3 miles - 75 more cal isn't a huge variance.

Good luck on your half marathon, I've got one coming up in 8 weeks. (if you're looking for a training plan check out runnerworld.com - they have plans for beginners through to advanced runners)
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    The main difference between the 110 and 210 is that the 210 can use a footpod for indoor track or treadmill distance calculation. I, personally would probably end up with a 210 or 310XT if I was getting a new Garmin.

Also, there is a chart at the bottom of this article about calories: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
  • rockyluv88
    Options
    Thanks!!!