The GOOD Carb...

Options
Maybe y'all can provide some insight. What is the difference between a Good Carb and a Bad Carb? Can you explain and also provide examples? Thanks! :)

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are carbohydrates,
    Where did you see some carbs were bad ? - by bad you mean not tasty, or dangerous for your body ?
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I suppose white sugar for example is considered a bad carb, as is alcohol and refined carbs like white bread, pasta etc.
    I would imagine that carbs such as sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, fruits and such like are considered good carbs.
    I'm not a nutritionist but this is the way I see it. I do of course love bad carbs, I just have to make sure I go easy on them and don't consume too many!
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    That's the thing -
    There is not "good" and "bad" carbs - she meant by a furthest extension "what carbs should I avoid if I don't want to gain weight" ?"
    But I could be wrong
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    the goods carbs are the carbs that your body knows how to break down and have the protein and fiber that your body needs which is whole grains ( such as quinoa, whole grain oats, and couscous), beans and raw nuts.
  • adaplas
    adaplas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A bad carbohydrate is basically a simple carbohydrate. They are simple because their molecular structure is simple and thus easy to digest. For example, table sugar is composed of 2 molecules of glucose only. If a carbohydrate is easy to digest, then all the calories are released immediately to your bloodstream, causing peaks or highs in your blood sugar level.

A bad carbohydrate also does not contain anything else (no fiber, no vitamins, etc).

A good carbohydrate contains other nutrients besides sugar. (That's why fruits are considered good carbohydrates although they are mainly fructose (a simple sugar) because they have fiber and other good nutrients as well).

A good carbohydrate is also a complex carbohydrate, that is, their molecular structure is more complicated and is harder for your body to digest. A difficult-to-digest carbohydrate will release its calories more slowly to your bloodstream which eliminates the sugar high.

One measure of differentiating good from bad carbohydrates is the glycemic index.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Simple & complex, not 'bad' and 'good' :smile:

There are lists all over the internet if you do some research! x
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    That's the thing -
    There is not "good" and "bad" carbs - she meant by a furthest extension "what carbs should I avoid if I don't want to gain weight" ?"
    But I could be wrong

No, you're right... I've just heard there are certain carbs you should avoid and rather replace them with other types of carbs... I wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask. :)
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    A bad carbohydrate is basically a simple carbohydrate. They are simple because their molecular structure is simple and thus easy to digest. For example, table sugar is composed of 2 molecules of glucose only. If a carbohydrate is easy to digest, then all the calories are released immediately to your bloodstream, causing peaks or highs in your blood sugar level.

A bad carbohydrate also does not contain anything else (no fiber, no vitamins, etc).

A good carbohydrate contains other nutrients besides sugar. (That's why fruits are considered good carbohydrates although they are mainly fructose (a simple sugar) because they have fiber and other good nutrients as well).

A good carbohydrate is also a complex carbohydrate, that is, their molecular structure is more complicated and is harder for your body to digest. A difficult-to-digest carbohydrate will release its calories more slowly to your bloodstream which eliminates the sugar high.

One measure of differentiating good from bad carbohydrates is the glycemic index.

This is what I was looking for! Thanks! :)
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    Simple & complex, not 'bad' and 'good' :smile:

There are lists all over the internet if you do some research! x

LOL. Oops. ;)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

^^ this
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Fruits and dairy are simple carbs. White bread is a complex carb. You cannot say simple carbs are bad and complex are good.

@ OP: Carbs are carbs. There are no good carbs or bad carbs. Carbs are important for our body. I try to eat carbs that are more natural. So, I don't eat a lot of white bread, cookies or cake. But, you can still lose weight and be healthy eating those things as long as you do so in moderation. Everything should be done in moderation on a journey to weight loss and good health.
  • adaplas
    adaplas Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Fruits and dairy are simple carbs. White bread is a complex carb. You cannot say simple carbs are bad and complex are good.

@ OP: Carbs are carbs. There are no good carbs or bad carbs. Carbs are important for our body. I try to eat carbs that are more natural. So, I don't eat a lot of white bread, cookies or cake. But, you can still lose weight and be healthy eating those things as long as you do so in moderation. Everything should be done in moderation on a journey to weight loss and good health.

See second and third paragraph.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    The bad carb may be fructose. Otherwise, they're fine unless you have certain conditions. Glucose is the primary fuel for your body, and it's a simple carb.

Fructose is in table sugar and high fructose corn syrup in combination with glucose.

Alcohol is not a carb.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Not to be a jerk, just wanted to gently set a few things straight in this reply.

While I get the meaning of it, and it's meaning is correct, one correction is needed.

Sucrose (table sugar) is not two glucose molecules, it's 1 glucose and 1 fructose molecule. It makes a big difference, 2 glucose molecules would digest differently as fructose digests more in the intestines where glucose begins digestion in the mouth and usually doesn't even make it to the intestines, which means faster digestion, and a larger spike in blood sugar for the same amount of saccharide.

I know this may sound nit picky, but it's an important concept.

Also, a clarification, while most fruit is "high" in fructose, different fruits offer different percentages, and in most fruits, the split is still somewhere around 50% fructose or less and 50% other sugars. Some are higher, some are lower. Generally, because of how fructose is digested, it takes longer and doesn't spike the blood sugar like sucrose and glucose will.
    for instance, grapes are notoriously high in glucose and not the best choice when watching sugar (this is important for those with type 2 diabetes).

here's a good chart of common fruits and how they stack up sugar wise.

http://www.enzafoods.co.nz/the-company/technology/fruit-sugar-chart
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use Glycemic Index to indicate which are good & bad. Those foods that give you a quick spike in blood sugar levels then drop quick are bad. The good carbs will spike slower, keep you full long and drop slow. And of course refined sugars (cookies, ice cream, white breads,etc) are "bad".
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    You should watch the glycemic load instead the glycemic index (thinking about watermelons here)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Good carb is one which the food is in its natural state, usually with accompanying fiber and other nutrients. A bad carb is when the food is refined where fiber and other nutrients are removed, so it essentially becomes 'emtpy calories'.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I use Glycemic Index to indicate which are good & bad. Those foods that give you a quick spike in blood sugar levels then drop quick are bad. The good carbs will spike slower, keep you full long and drop slow. And of course refined sugars (cookies, ice cream, white breads,etc) are "bad".

What exactly is the Glycemic Index? I'm sorry, I'm just new to all of this. :)
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    You should watch the glycemic load instead the glycemic index (thinking about watermelons here)

and what is the Glycemic Load? :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

and what is the Glycemic Load? :)

glycemic load is similar to glycemic index but measures the actual amount it will raise the blood sugar. Glycemic index is more of an academic number, glycemic load is a more "real world" number. In other words, if you eat 2 lbs of apples, even though the glycemic index of an apple is low, the load is still going to be high.

the formula is (GI (glycemic index) /100 ) X Grams of Carbohydrates consumed

20 or above is usually considered high in most circles.

for instance, an apple has a GI of 40 (not bad)
    but
    if you eat 6 servings of apple
    that's

(40/100) X 74

or a Glycemic load of 29.6
    even though apples are a good GI the load of having 6 servings would be bad (all at once, not so bad if you spaced it out over the day)