Not had a weight loss in well over a month now :(

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I am going to stick with keeping my calorie intake up, I have lost inches but quite disheartening without the weight loss (my scales only show full lbs and not 1/4 or 1/2 etc...) gonna try and stay off the scales until April 30th that gives me a good month and a bit to give upping calories a go) x

Your inches have gone down, your fat % has gone down, you are doing great.

Nobody sees the scale weight except you , but everyone sees the shrinking body.

Keep it up, you'll get there.

Thank you and very true! Even though I've lost inches and BF I can't see it tho?!?! My trousers still feel the same etc... Which I think isn't helping me! But you are right! nobody can see the scales only the body! i would love somebody to say "WOW you look great, how much weight have you lost" and for me to say "NONE" lol x

*ahem* WOW! YOU LOOK GREAT! LOOK HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU LOST!

Seriously. 30lbs? You are freaking fantastic. You are a superhero. I am proud of you. Keep going and making healthy decisions. It's tough sometimes but you are doing amazing! We're here to help :)
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    if your inches are going down then you're on the right track. your body is just doing what it's designed to do and using water as a placeholder in your fat cells in case you are able to start replacing what's been lost.

eventually your body will get the hint and will release the water and your inch loss and weight loss with catch up.

I hope so :) x
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options
    I am going to stick with keeping my calorie intake up, I have lost inches but quite disheartening without the weight loss (my scales only show full lbs and not 1/4 or 1/2 etc...) gonna try and stay off the scales until April 30th that gives me a good month and a bit to give upping calories a go) x

Your inches have gone down, your fat % has gone down, you are doing great.

Nobody sees the scale weight except you , but everyone sees the shrinking body.

Keep it up, you'll get there.

Thank you and very true! Even though I've lost inches and BF I can't see it tho?!?! My trousers still feel the same etc... Which I think isn't helping me! But you are right! nobody can see the scales only the body! i would love somebody to say "WOW you look great, how much weight have you lost" and for me to say "NONE" lol x

*ahem* WOW! YOU LOOK GREAT! LOOK HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU LOST!

Seriously. 30lbs? You are freaking fantastic. You are a superhero. I am proud of you. Keep going and making healthy decisions. It's tough sometimes but you are doing amazing! We're here to help :)

Thank you :) and yes about 30lbs, I am only 5ft 3 BUT if I don't get down to 120lbs but look HOT then I won't care, Just want to see a difference! I've taken my before pics and I took some on day 8 and even though the tape measure says I am down inches I can't see it :( x
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Try joining a die-hard bootcamp class session. It did wonders for me.
    25% of one session workout kept my heart-rate in the 180 beats per minute range. Burned a crazy amount of calories and I saw the results 24 hours later.

I only do Bootcamp twice a week. The rest of the week is leisure activities like jogging, yoga or Zumba classes.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Try upping your calories to 1400, trust me, when I finally wrapped my head around it, I started losing weight. All this hype is real, it really does work.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    25% of one session workout kept my heart-rate in the 180 beats per minute range. Burned a crazy amount of calories and I saw the results 24 hours later.

I only do Bootcamp twice a week. The rest of the week is leisure activities like jogging, yoga or Zumba classes.

Great advice - a brisk workout not only raises your metabolism, but the "workout high" you get for a while afterward will keep your metabolism up for some time and feels wonderful enough that you'll want to work out more. Bootcamps are like exercise crack. LOL.

I'll only supplement it with this - if you're going to do something that gets your heartrate up above about 150 regularly - check in with your doctor first. You may need to work your way up to it.

Oh, and hydrate - especially the first few times you do it. A little while after the workout, drink water until you can't drink any more, then drink a little more (OK, not more than a few glasses, but drink at least a couple of glasses extra for the day!). The first few heavy workouts are going to build you up a lot of lactic acid, and if you don't wash that out of your system you'll be sore and it'll discourage you from wanting to try it again. And don't forget to take on a few extra calories to support your raised metabolic rate. Eat at least half the calories you've "earned" with the workout. Bootcamps can drop you into starvation mode in a hurry if you don't refuel.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options

Try upping your calories to 1400, trust me, when I finally wrapped my head around it, I started losing weight. All this hype is real, it really does work.

Ok the last week my actual calories eaten are as follows (in brackets are the net):
    Tues: 1366 (1101)
    Wed: 1565 (1126)
    Thurs: 1327 (1107)
    Fri: 1323 (1323)
    Sat: 1296 (1296)
    Sun: 1666 (1337)
    Mon: 1844 (1496)
    Tue: 1502 (1221)

Oh dear?!?! I'm not eating enough am I? That works out on average I am netting 1255 cals a day!! My BMR is 1363 (according to Katch Macardle) I just struggle to eat anymore than I do without eating pure JUNK!! Any ideas? x
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options

Unfortunately money means I can't pay to workout along with lack of childcare, so I workout from home instead x
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    The point is to get your heart rate up and get a good solid sweat going. You don't have to pay someone else to tell you how to do that. A formalized structure helps, but the lack of one doesn't prevent you from getting a workout in.

Walk briskly (in place if necessary). Do jumping jacks. Jump rope. Put on some silly music and dance really hard with the kids. Go outside with the kids and run around. It's good for you AND them. Kill your television and spend that time moving.

If you're sweating, it's great.

If you're not sitting, it's good.

I got some 3-pound weights and started just idly lifting them while watching TV before I finally got rid of the idiot box once and for all. Hey, it's not a lot, but calories were being burned, and it kept my arms busy so I wasn't snacking.
  • radradradradrad
    radradradradrad Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i'm right there with ya.
    5' 3" started at 150lbs.
    i've been doing p90x for 7.5 weeks now and have only seen a 1lb loss, but have lost 16.5" as of last Friday (that's when I do my check-in). although i was super proud of my inches progress, i was also super discouraged about my lack of real weight loss. not to mention my stupid, evil scale has yet to register a body fat% loss either. i was at a loss. i posted my results in a topic and got some good advice that i'm working to incorporate. since, i've changed my macros in 'goals' to 30%f- 30%c- 40%p. i heard a lot of people tell me that i wasn't getting enough protein since i was doing such an intense workout program. i don't eat a lot of meat, so i was barely meeting my original MFP goal of like 45g protein. now that i've changed my macro goals i have to get something like 160g, which is HARD, but i'm giving it a whirl. additionally, i am going to start incorporating a 1-3 mile run after my strength training days to see if the extra cardio will give me the push i need for the scale to actually move.

in short, i say stick with the upped calories for at least a month and see what happens, and maybe try changing your macros too. i'm no expert, but i'm sincerely hoping it works!

we're all in this together!
    keep up the great work! you've done awesome and as long as you keep addressing your plateau you will break through it---one way or another.

friend me for support if you like!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    Ok the last week my actual calories eaten are as follows (in brackets are the net):

Oh dear?!?! I'm not eating enough am I? That works out on average I am netting 1255 cals a day!! My BMR is 1363 (according to Katch Macardle) I just struggle to eat anymore than I do without eating pure JUNK!! Any ideas? x

I'm thinking your eating is not that bad, calorie-wise. In fact, if your BMR is 1363 and you're netting 1255 a day, you're at a net loss of 100 calories a day, which means your going to take 30 days to lose a pound (about 3000 calories in a pound).

I don't have access to your diary, but I'd say two things in general:

1. Proteins are what help build muscle the best. Muscle burns calories even when it isn't being used all the time. Focus on those where you can. Don't deprive yourself of healthy carbs, but make sure lean proteins are well-represented.

2. Your "earned" calories seem a tad low most days. Exercise builds muscle (which, as already stated, burns extra calories). See if you can "buy" 100 more calories per day with exercise (which drops your one-pound loss time to 15 days from your current 30)
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options
    i'm right there with ya.
    5' 3" started at 150lbs.
    i've been doing p90x for 7.5 weeks now and have only seen a 1lb loss, but have lost 16.5" as of last Friday (that's when I do my check-in). although i was super proud of my inches progress, i was also super discouraged about my lack of real weight loss. not to mention my stupid, evil scale has yet to register a body fat% loss either. i was at a loss. i posted my results in a topic and got some good advice that i'm working to incorporate. since, i've changed my macros in 'goals' to 30%f- 30%c- 40%p. i heard a lot of people tell me that i wasn't getting enough protein since i was doing such an intense workout program. i don't eat a lot of meat, so i was barely meeting my original MFP goal of like 45g protein. now that i've changed my macro goals i have to get something like 160g, which is HARD, but i'm giving it a whirl. additionally, i am going to start incorporating a 1-3 mile run after my strength training days to see if the extra cardio will give me the push i need for the scale to actually move.

in short, i say stick with the upped calories for at least a month and see what happens, and maybe try changing your macros too. i'm no expert, but i'm sincerely hoping it works!

we're all in this together!
    keep up the great work! you've done awesome and as long as you keep addressing your plateau you will break through it---one way or another.

friend me for support if you like!

I have 40/30/30 but my carbs at 40% the other 2 are at 30% I only changed it earlier this week. I am still learning and trying to get my head around it all I have my calorie goal as 1470 (which is 100 above my BMR and a calorie deficit of 500 cals a week) and then try and eat my exercise calories I will friend you now. x
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options
    The point is to get your heart rate up and get a good solid sweat going. You don't have to pay someone else to tell you how to do that. A formalized structure helps, but the lack of one doesn't prevent you from getting a workout in.

Walk briskly (in place if necessary). Do jumping jacks. Jump rope. Put on some silly music and dance really hard with the kids. Go outside with the kids and run around. It's good for you AND them. Kill your television and spend that time moving.

If you're sweating, it's great.

If you're not sitting, it's good.

I got some 3-pound weights and started just idly lifting them while watching TV before I finally got rid of the idiot box once and for all. Hey, it's not a lot, but calories were being burned, and it kept my arms busy so I wasn't snacking.

I'm doing 30 day shred every day at the moment using 3 and 5lbs weights, which gets my heart rate up and burn between 220 and 250 cals, I try and do zumba twice a week which burn 179-400 cals, also use my weight s a few nights a week doing bicep curls etc... etc... didn't work out this weekend as I was away at a funeral x
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options

I'm thinking your eating is not that bad, calorie-wise. In fact, if your BMR is 1363 and you're netting 1255 a day, you're at a net loss of 100 calories a day, which means your going to take 30 days to lose a pound (about 3000 calories in a pound).

I don't have access to your diary, but I'd say two things in general:

1. Proteins are what help build muscle the best. Muscle burns calories even when it isn't being used all the time. Focus on those where you can. Don't deprive yourself of healthy carbs, but make sure lean proteins are well-represented.

2. Your "earned" calories seem a tad low most days. Exercise builds muscle (which, as already stated, burns extra calories). See if you can "buy" 100 more calories per day with exercise (which drops your one-pound loss time to 15 days from your current 30)

I changed my macros to P 30%, carbs 30% fat 30%

Every day I burn off 220-250cals doing 30DS, if I do zumba I burn between 179-400 cals. I also try to use my weights a few evenings a week, The weekend just gone (Thursday to saturday) wasn't the norm as I was away at a funeral so didn't get a chance to workout. So if I was to do my 30DS every morning and then add in something every evening too? x
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    Every day I burn off 220-250cals doing 30DS, if I do zumba I burn between 179-400 cals. I also try to use my weights a few evenings a week, The weekend just gone (Thursday to saturday) wasn't the norm as I was away at a funeral so didn't get a chance to workout. So if I was to do my 30DS every morning and then add in something every evening too? x

If you're maintaining an average of about 400 calories a day of workout, that's a good operational minimum.

But as far as exercise goes, "add in something" is always good unless you're burning yourself out. ;)

You may be doing everything right and just plateauing. I've had months like that. Stressing out over it is counterproductive - just keep on keepin' on, don't do anything foolish like starving yourself, and punch the exercise up a bit.

Remember that a pound is 3000 calories. If you're eating a net deficit of 300 calories a day, then in ten days you should be losing a pound. If you try to crank that deficit up too high, your body will reduce its metabolism.

If you're running a calorie deficit as per the calculations on this site and you haven't lost any weight, then something is incorrect - your BMR has reduced due to lowered caloric intake, the calorie content of your foods has changed, or you're retaining water due to dehydration (you ARE drinking a lot of water, right?) or sodium intake.

But, the bottom line is, you will not lose weight every day, week, or even month. And you shouldn't change too many things at once to force it to happen.

Increased exercise is always good. Reduced empty sugary calories is always good. Increased veggies and fruits and nutrition is always good. Decreased "healthy" calories is only good if there's no other way to get your intake below your BMR + exercise "credits", and you don't appear to have that problem.

I'd say try out some more intense workouts, however and wherever you can fit them in. That's going to kick your BMR up. Target at least a 150 heart rate for at least 15-20 minutes (translation if you lack a heart rate monitor: you should be seriously winded during the workout, but still able to speak to someone, and sweating pretty profusely, but if you start feeling sick to your stomach or crampy or dizzy slow it down - it should be tiring, not painful). Just remember to check in with the doc first, and replace that sweat with lots of water. And a 5-minute warmup and 5-minute cooldown are critical. Also do some stretches afterward on the muscles you worked to squeeze out some of the lactic acid and help avoid achiness.

My personal favorite is the elliptical. We have one at work with a heart-rate monitor. Set the timer to 40 minutes, get my heart rate to 150 as quickly as I can without pushing it to pain (usually about 10 minutes), adjust the resistance as necessary to maintain a heart rate of 150-ish until the 5-minute cool-down, and I've usually toasted off just under 700 calories. This leaves me just enough time for a fast shower and a dash back to my desk. Every other day, I do 20 on the elliptical and some planks/situps/dumbell work for 20-25 minutes just to mix it up a little and build more calorie-burning muscle.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I added quinoa, kale and sweet potatoes to up my net. I found that the quinoa was too expensive to buy in the market but I found it at Costco for 9 bucks for 4 lbs. If you have access to either Costco or Sams, you may be able to find it at a decent price.

Feel free to look at my diary. I eat lots and with the exception of a special k granola bar and a weight watchers chocolate bar, none of it is junk.
  • VaysNan
    VaysNan Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, you are doing great!

My husband has been following the nutrition guide that came with Insanity workout (mind you, he's not doing the workout yet lol) and another one he found online. From what he has been reading, you have to keep lowering your caloric intake and eat 5 small meals a day, 1every 3 hours. Now, his problem is that he hit a plateau. So he researched, and figured out that your body will adapt and eventually slow your metabolism down. So to confuse it and kick start his metabolism again, he has a "cheat day" every 8th day or so and consumes more than his recommended intake.

Also, if you are excercising you have to change your routine as well. Your body will plateau because it gets used to the 'routine'. After 30 days, change it up. I am a huge fan of circuit training. It's mostly cardio, but you can feel it in your muscles as well. You will lose weight and get toned. Good examples are P90X and Insanity. They really do work!
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    First, like everyone else I think you have done a fantastic job!!!!! You have said it would be nice if it was noticed..why not buy a new outfit that shows off the lost inches....when I lost weight [ one of the many yoyo diets] I still wore baggy clothes as I wanted to wait till exactly the weight I had aimed for....think that was a mistake for me...
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Adding tons more veggies and fruits into my diet helped me to lose the first 7 of my last 10 pounds very easily. If you are not already eating mostly whole foods you might consider that versus more pre-packaged, salty, sugary, or additives in your foods. Refined grains, sugar, and salt, and also red meat for that matter will stall my progress. Good luck! Just for sure do not give up. It will break! It has to if you are eating less than you are putting out.
  • amilani1
    amilani1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    (NAUGHTY) so it could be my muscles holding onto the water to help repair them (I have heard that somewhere, so I could be worng there?!?!)

Your muscle fibers do contain water. Muscle also weighs more than fat, so you can gain weight without a noticeable gain in size. I read where you mentioned that you were increasing the amount of resistance training you were doing with weights. Some of the reason that you are tapering off in your weight loss could be added muscle. See how there are many factors affecting scale weight? Thus making it deceptive. It should be one of the ways you keep track of your progress, but not the only way. Stay strong. 8)