can i lose weight but still eat rubbish?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A journalist did a programme about this a year or so ago in the UK. He had a full medical before he started, only ate junk food but stayed within his limits, then had a medical at the end of the period (I think it was one month)

Apart from all the negative effects this had on his moods and emotion etc he lost weight but the medicals showed that he was in considerably worse health at the end of the experiment compared to the start.

Wrong: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.
    Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    If you eat rubbish:

You will feel crappy
    You will look haggard and tired
    You will always be hungry
    You will continue to crave rubbish

Not sustainable for your lifetime, which will be miserable and short.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    A journalist did a programme about this a year or so ago in the UK. He had a full medical before he started, only ate junk food but stayed within his limits, then had a medical at the end of the period (I think it was one month)

Apart from all the negative effects this had on his moods and emotion etc he lost weight but the medicals showed that he was in considerably worse health at the end of the experiment compared to the start.

This... You can lose weight but you probably will still be hungry and probably less healthy but that may be your goal..who knows!
  • rml_16
    Options

This... You can lose weight but you probably will still be hungry and probably less healthy but that may be your goal..who knows!

Again:

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you eat meals of healthy, nutritious food and they contain a combination of carbs, healthy fat, quality protein and some fiber, you'll find that your blood sugar levels will even out and you won't crave it. It will allow you to make it from meal to meal without snacking. Be sure to eat each meal and be sure you get enough calories at each meal - at least 300-400. BTW, 1200 cals total is pretty low to eliminate the need for snacking. Consider upping your cals and exercising them off. Much easier on the hunger front.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Another MFP went that route, by MFP rules, I can't mention her name but she had to buy Rogain because her hair fell out out of malnutrition. Your body needs healthy foods, but you don't have to entirely deprive yourself.

You are feeding for two alter egos: your body and your sweet tooth. Make sure your body doesn't get neglected.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    No idea to why you would want to but YES in the short run.... NO in the long run! Soon enough your organs will start protesting the crap and you'll definitely not age gracefully!

My 2 cents worth...... :wink:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Technically I sapposed you can...but those foods wont keep you full and satisfied. What's the point of being skinny and unhealthy? Focus in health and preventing disease. Sugar is terrible for your body. Eat fruit!

I agree. :flowerforyou:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Yes. On 1200 calories though, junk food doesn't go very far and you will feel hungry. If you eat more fresh foods, you will have better luck changing your body composition which will look better in the end.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Sure you can, it's about portion control, however don't expect to lose weight as quick as someone who eat's healthy, you might even get stuck and can't move anymore in the weight department before you hit your goal. However not everyone should consume 1200 calories, you need to be sure your body needs just 1200 some people need more then that, if you eat too few calories your body will go into starvation mode.
  • feistyhorsegal
    feistyhorsegal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I still eat plenty of so called naughty foods but just make sure I stay under calorie target and I still lose weight. That said I balance it out with lots of good food too, I'm not just eating junk. If you only eat junk its just empty calories and not proper nutrition
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Well, before answering let me tell you something you might know already. You are what you eat! With that on mind, be careful of your choices.
    As for your answer, is simple, as long as you eat less calories than your daily limit you will loose weight.
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    I think you'll find that by eating *rubbish* foods, you'll very quickly use up your daily calorie allowance. But by eating more healthy and nutritious foods, you'll be able to eat quite a bit more.

i like this response :)
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    of course you can, but why would you want to. Why not make a choicy to eat healthy and give your body proper nutrition? I have found that cleaner eating keeps me full longer and satisfies my appetite better than rubbish.
  • merricker
    merricker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try not to think of food as bad and good. Food is not moral. I think about how nutrient dense it is. It's okay to eat things that are low in nutrition density at times, but if you do it often on a low calorie diet you won't get all the great stuff your body needs.

I think vilifying food just leads to "diet think." I can't afford to think that way.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    sounds strange yes but what i mean is as long as i eat only my 1200 calories can i eat sweets and high fat food or does it mean i have to eat 1200 calories of healthy food. see im a snacker and crave suger so im trying to figure out what i can and cannot have
    please help

Yes. In fact, some people lose weight by not eating at all. But then, usually these types do not have a fitness related goal.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 60 lbs doing that. And now I am struggling to lose the last 20lb. I have been on a plateau for about 4 months. I realized if I want to reach my goal and go all the way to a healthy body and mind, I have to start cleaning up what I eat. I have started slowly by adding more fruits and veggies and less fried and process foods. It has made a difference. Won't know if it is the final answer for a while, but it was worth a try.

Good luck!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    you could but then you would still be unhealthy if all you ate was sugar and crap.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

Again:

Mission Impossible: Portion Control on Junk Food. Haub noted he was overweight and having problems managing his weight. “I was eating healthier, but I wasn’t healthy,” he noted. “I was eating too much.” Haub, like so many Americans, has issues with portion control. Yet, mysteriously, he was able to eat his fill of junk and was able to “push away the wrapper” to keep within his calorie budget on junk food. Why couldn’t he do this with healthy fare? Science has clearly shown that when you eat a tsunami of refined sugar, insulin levels skyrocket and plummet, resulting in a raging appetite for more sugar. And don’t forget the stress and abuse you’re putting your pancreas and liver through. No one can control their appetite on a 60% junk food intake.
    http://blogs.webmd.com/pamela-peeke-md/2010/11/the-twinkie-diet-caution-toxic.html
  • rml_16
    Options

Again:

Mission Impossible: Portion Control on Junk Food. Haub noted he was overweight and having problems managing his weight. “I was eating healthier, but I wasn’t healthy,” he noted. “I was eating too much.” Haub, like so many Americans, has issues with portion control. Yet, mysteriously, he was able to eat his fill of junk and was able to “push away the wrapper” to keep within his calorie budget on junk food. Why couldn’t he do this with healthy fare? Science has clearly shown that when you eat a tsunami of refined sugar, insulin levels skyrocket and plummet, resulting in a raging appetite for more sugar. And don’t forget the stress and abuse you’re putting your pancreas and liver through. No one can control their appetite on a 60% junk food intake.
    http://blogs.webmd.com/pamela-peeke-md/2010/11/the-twinkie-diet-caution-toxic.html

Never said it was ideal. Just pointing out that even with eating a junk food diet, he lost weight and his health improved. You haven't said anything that discounts that.

I haven't forgotten that you are a card-carrying member of the MFP Food Police and have an agenda and are strangely preoccupied with how others choose to eat.