Do you eat after the gym?

Options
lh12xx
lh12xx Posts: 111 Member
Looking for a bit of help guys, I know you're supposed to eat after the gym to replenish etc, but I don't tend to eat after my dinner and it's posing a bit of a problem.

I usually have dinner about 5.30pm-6pm, then go to the gym at about 7.30pm. But when I arrive home at about 9-9.30pm I feel its too late to eat! I don't want to stall my weight loss, although I find I'm hungry when I get in!

Help :(

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. At the very least, a protein shake. Sometimes some peanut butter on whole wheat. Recovery food is a good idea.

Don't worry about 'too late to eat.'
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I used to do it that way and still lost weight, I did switch it up to Gym at 5:30 and dinner at 7:30 and then eat again before bed at 9:30-10pm, I find that better for me. It's all about what works for you!
  • lh12xx
    Options
    what do you reccommend for post-gym eating/snacks then?
    ive heard protein shakes will put on weight though? I really dont know a lot about it if im honest! educate me lol!!!
    remember, my main goal is weight loss.
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes eat something! A greek yogurt maybe or something with protein. I personally wouldn't want to sit down to a full meal at that time but a 100-200+ calorie snack with protein in it is what I would do.
  • lh12xx
    Options
    see i considered protein shakes but i was told these represent a meal? and i wouldnt eat a meal after the gym!
  • UpAgainstTheBackBurner
    Options
    I usually have some green tea and some raspberries :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I always eat something, but my schedule is different. I lift around 430, and then eat dinner around 7. That being said I always have a shake or snack after the gym.

With you lifting later, you should at least down a protein shake before bed. A 200 calorie shake should fit into your day easily, and gives your body something overnight.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Why is it too late to eat? So long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight, doesn't matter what time of day you consume said calories. You say you wouldn't eat a meal after the gym, why not? I often eat the bulk of my cals in the evening after a workout...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Protein doesn't make you heavy. Excess calories makes you heavy.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Protein drink after, always.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I eat before and after. I'll only have a protein shake if its been a more liberating day.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I grab a protein shake (usually Muscle Milk Light or EAS Carb Advantage) after EVERY workout. Like immediately after, even before I shower or anything. Then once I'm showered and changed and what not is when I'll eat dinner or whatever meal is around that time. Your body NEEDS to replenish and needs protein after a workout!!!

Also, why wouldn't you eat a meal after the gym? Just curious...

My goal is weight loss as well, I've successfully lost 16 lbs (2 before MFP) and 2 pants sizes, and consistently losing :)
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    bump
  • lh12xx
    Options
    sooo protein shake after the gym ... like this?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=100&MCatID=5&prodid=563&cid=47&sid=0

and, im going to sound stupid here, but is it alright made with water? and if so, therefore one shake has about 100 calories?
  • beezerphd
    beezerphd Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It depends really what your net calories are after you've added the exercise. Usually I would have maybe a Peanut butter sandwich.

Protein shakes are definitely a good one to have after a workout. Cottage cheese, tuna, turkey slices are also good for just before bed after your workout as it will stop your body from eating the muscle in order to provide energy to perform natural body processes.

Some can taste pretty bad with water, some taste good. It depends really. I mix mine with skimmed milk if I can to make it slightly creamier. It's all personal preference really, but usually if I mix with just water I need to down it pretty quick.
  • sarafyna
    sarafyna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A glass of milk or maybe half a shake is what I normally do. The thing is that it doesn't really do all that much as far as your weight loss is concerned HOWEVER you damage your muscles when you work out. That's how they become stronger. Your body then has to recover those muscles and knit them back together. It needs protein to do this. Anything you have eaten before you workout was used as energy throughout the day. So don't worry about it being considered a full meal, look for something low in sugar and high on the protein end. Most protein shakes are under 200 cals...
  • coop220
    coop220 Posts: 7
    Options
    I usually eat an apple and some cottage cheese. The apple brings my sugars back up from a tough workout and the cottage cheese has the protein to rebuild muscle tissue :o)
  • lh12xx
    Options
    ps thanks for all the help guys :flowerforyou:
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    After every intense workout, there is a window of 30 to 45 min where body goes into an increase of anabolic state. Eating during this time is the best thing, since body will absorb all the nutrition much faster and recover.

After every workout, just as I finish, I drink a protein shake then I eat my regular meal a bit later. Use that window of opportunity and never loose it.
  • philco41
    philco41 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your schedule for gym is similar to mine. I always have a snack after workout and before bed. I worried initially about the hour, but I'm diabetic and I have found that it has no effect on my AM fasting blood glucose.