How to eat more healthy fat?

Options
OK, I think fat is lacking in my diet....I am trying to make 90 g of fat a day (2,450 cal daily diet)...of course I know it is easy to just eat mcdonalds one meal and get all my fat, but that's not the fat I am wanting....

I am wanting the fat, but I currently eat a LOT of nuts......below is typically what I eat each day

Breakfast- protein & water, 3 eggs (boiled or scrambled), small bagel....approx fat 21 g

mid morning- balance bar & grapes & flaxseed pills....approx fat 11 g

lunch- planters nuts heart healthy mix (pre-packed), 5 oz chicken breast, brown rice (1 cup)...approx fat 30 g

mid afternoon- mixed vegetables, shrimp, bannana....approx fat 5 g

dinner- baked potato, 5 oz chicken breast, mixed vegetables...approx 8 g of fat

after dinner-- peanuts and cottage cheese .....approx fat 12 g of fat

so 87 g of fat...and a LOT of nuts

what can I use to substitute for so many nuts?

thanks

Replies

• MNHoliday
    MNHoliday Posts: 20
    Options
    Avocado.
    Olive oil.
    Coconut oil.
    Bacon :)
    Grass-fed butter if ur doing dairy.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Avocado.
    Olive oil.
    Coconut oil.

All I saw here was Bacon. Everything else was a blur.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, it doesn't look like a LOT of nuts to me...at least lately I've been eating oodles of almonds. Yummm.....

But yes, avocado, oils of various forms, butter, nut butters, and really, your diet is very low in sugar...how about a dessert? Or cream cheese on your bagel?
  • jenlatham
    jenlatham Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes to everything else listed. Also, Earth Balance spread tastes close to butter but is much better for you -- add to potatoes or veggies. Canola oil is also a "good" fat.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    mmmm...I have an ongoing love affair with pork fat!

But seriously, one thing that bumps my fat intake is Balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I like the newman's own and it's a healthy infurion of good olive oil in salad form.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to eat lean meat (poultry) as every meat source... there's no reason you shouldn't dig into a nice high quality steak sometimes!

I know a lot of people who swear by a tablespoon or two of coconut oil a day.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Houmous...

90g of fat seems like quite a lot though. I wouldn't worry to much if you weren't eating 90g of fat every day. It looks like a good well balanced day though!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just started adding safflower oil to my fish. Healthy fat, and it doesn't alter the taste.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Avocado.
    Olive oil.
    Coconut oil.

This.

Hormel makes a yummy uncured bacon. And I have to go with steak, too. Go pastured if you can afford it. If you can't then buy lean meat and add fat to it. The fat on grain-fed cattle is also very high in Omega-6. Not to mention how sick the grain makes them (it's not their natural diet. They are grass eaters and can't digest the grains properly. It makes them sick and that's why they are given antibiotics. That and the fact that they wallow in their own waste in those feedlots)
    Fish Oil Pills are just fat pills - they count as fat intake.
    And nuts are great but they are very, very high in Omega-6 and very low in Omega-3. Nuts are very inflammatory (macadamia nuts are the best ones out there). Eat plenty of fatty fish like wild salmon, mackerel, etc. Pastured eggs are also much higher in Omega-3 than regulary store bought eggs.

Stay far away from Earth Balance "buttery spread": http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/
    It has all the commercially processed high PUFA oils (canola, soy, "natural flavor derived from corn", pea protein (?)). Sorry, this isn't healthier than pastured butter. It's and edible food like substance. Franken food. I don't care how many times the company says "natural". There's nothing natural about it. Replacing a real food with a fake food is not healthier.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/ (this is a great site for nutrition content. Very detailed.)

the MCTs in butter and coconut oil are more likely to be used as energy rather than stored as fat. Very high-quality fats (SATURATED FAT IS GOOD FOR YOU!!!)
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Oily fish?

So maybe substitute your afternoon shrimp for some tasty smoked mackerel?
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Avocado.
    Olive oil.
    Coconut oil.

This.

Hormel makes a yummy uncured bacon. And I have to go with steak, too. Go pastured if you can afford it. If you can't then buy lean meat and add fat to it. The fat on grain-fed cattle is also very high in Omega-6. Not to mention how sick the grain makes them (it's not their natural diet. They are grass eaters and can't digest the grains properly. It makes them sick and that's why they are given antibiotics. That and the fact that they wallow in their own waste in those feedlots)
    Fish Oil Pills are just fat pills - they count as fat intake.
    And nuts are great but they are very, very high in Omega-6 and very low in Omega-3. Nuts are very inflammatory (macadamia nuts are the best ones out there). Eat plenty of fatty fish like wild salmon, mackerel, etc. Pastured eggs are also much higher in Omega-3 than regulary store bought eggs.

Stay far away from Earth Balance "buttery spread": http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/
    It has all the commercially processed high PUFA oils (canola, soy, "natural flavor derived from corn", pea protein (?)). Sorry, this isn't healthier than pastured butter. It's and edible food like substance. Franken food. I don't care how many times the company says "natural". There's nothing natural about it. Replacing a real food with a fake food is not healthier.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/ (this is a great site for nutrition content. Very detailed.)

the MCTs in butter and coconut oil are more likely to be used as energy rather than stored as fat. Very high-quality fats (SATURATED FAT IS GOOD FOR YOU!!!)

Second the uncured Hormel Bacon. I will NEVER eat cured bacon again. If you want a spread that has healthy fat, use Land-O-Lakes spreadable butter with Olive Oil. It has 3 ingredients: Sweet Cream, Olive Oil, Salt.
  • rob_base
    rob_base Posts: 97
    Options
    thanks all...my problem with some of the stuff, like the avacado only has about 5 g of fat...but I guess every bit helps, and maybe I should do more smaller food wiht fat (just more frequently)
  • rob_base
    Options
    Well, it doesn't look like a LOT of nuts to me...at least lately I've been eating oodles of almonds. Yummm.....

But yes, avocado, oils of various forms, butter, nut butters, and really, your diet is very low in sugar...how about a dessert? Or cream cheese on your bagel?

my diet is low in sugar? aren't there natural sugars in fruits?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

All you listed was banana and grapes. Two servings of natural sugar per day (I didn't look farther than what your post stated). I do consider that very low sugar. Maybe that's just me LOL.
  • rob_base
    Options

All you listed was banana and grapes. Two servings of natural sugar per day (I didn't look farther than what your post stated). I do consider that very low sugar. Maybe that's just me LOL.

hmm, I never thought about that....does the balance bar have sugar? usually I eat 3 fruits a day though......maybe my sugar is off? something I should consider, I think...thanks
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    olives
    olive oil
    peanut butter
    avocado
    guacamole
    ^^all healthy fats^^
  • BrayneZ
    BrayneZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a similar daily caloric intake to you - what works best for me is to have a lunch rota of good fats:

Avocado
    200g Smoked Salmon
    Olives/Feta combo salad of sorts

Also, Add natural PB to your shakes, and find excuses to use a bit more olive oil (eggs in the morning, meats, salads etc)

Do this and 90g of a beautiful mixture of healthy fats will be achieved (with moderate sat fats and NO trans fats. BOOM)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Yes to everything else listed. Also, Earth Balance spread tastes close to butter but is much better for you -- add to potatoes or veggies. Canola oil is also a "good" fat.

The jury is out on margarines (even earth balance) actually being better for you. Grassfed butter has a better omega 3/omega 6 ratio and more antioxidants. I recommend Earth Balance if you are vegan (it is very tasty) and butter if you can have dairy.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Pork loin chop. lamb chop?

I eat them every day and eat the fat too!!
  • BrayneZ
    BrayneZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh yeh and fish oils. There will be days when I will literally pop like 5-10 Omega3 pills