Favorite home cardio-not running or walking

Options
2»

Replies

• Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope - Punk Rope has a fun DVD if you can find it. (might not be good for the knees though....)

Burpees, push ups, squats, planks - gets the heart going and works on strength as well.

Cycling

Belly dancing
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Zumba. There are a few jumps, squats and lunges included but if that hurts your knees just skip those. For the most part it's just fitness dancing. Very good for your core and burns a good amount of calories.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Since you can't walk outside because of the hills. You can try "Walk at home" dvds by Leslie Sansone (2 mile or 5 mile fat burn intervals). It should be low impact but with a calorie burn that won't aggravate your knees.

These are Excellent dvd's I do them myself when I can't get any other exercise in......she is very easy on knees......also a kettlebell if you have one.............good luck
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Try out an elliptical machine. No knee impact and a great cardio workout. My right knee is problematic but I have no problems on the elliptical.

I was also going to say an elliptical machine. If you have craigslist in your area, I see all sorts of cardio equipment on there all the time.

Also, maybe the boxing (or air boxing) that others are suggesting, or some sort of upper body workout that gets the heart rate up.
  • Nightingale77
    Nightingale77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Boxing is a great upper body work out and it's fun too! I have a bag and gloves at home, just need to do it more often!
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would invest in some low impact workout DVD's. I do Turbo Fire everyday and they have a girl "Alley" who does modified moves. Good Luck Hope this helped.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all these great suggestions! Y'all rock! I don't have an elliptical at home and no space for one. Believe you me, if there was a place to put it I would so have one! I love the boxing suggestions. My hubby would thank me profusely if I got us an outdoor heavy bag, so I'm thinking it might be time to invest finally. Until then, I'll check out the Wii boxing. Gonna check out the Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire dvds too.

Thanks so much!
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I was a gymnast in my early years through high school. So, now my knees ache especially after exercising with this much weight on me and when it's going to rain. So I had a recumbent exercise bike given to me. I put it in the living room and instead of sitting and snacking in front of the tele, I ride my bike. It also burns the most calories than most exercises I have done. If you ride at least 17mph up and downhill program, you can burn 550 calories in 30 min and over a 1000 in 60. It also takes a lot of pressure off of my knees till I drop some more weight. I strongly suggest investing in one. You can get one dirt cheap on Craigslist most of the time. Just make sure it's one with programs.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    punches.

How old are your kids? Can you take them to the pool with you? You can do pool jogging relay style with your kids or see if you can run in the pool faster than they can swim of course letting them win. They can have cannon ball contests and you can do pool exercises.

What's the spring weather like where you are? Get a book and start a herb garden or tomato garden with your kids. Or plant typical spring flowers like pansies or prim roses or something. I know my friends kids love having veggies out of their garden that they grew. And they will tell you if it came off THEIR plant or one of their siblings plants.

Alternatively, eat healthy and clean and enjoy your time home with your kids. Do some push-ups and sit-ups and leg lifts or whatever and go back to your work out when you are healed.