Question on Calories

Options
I posted this on another thread, but figure this way it may get more of a response.

Does anyone set their calorie intake lower (in a healthy range still) and then eat ALL of their exercise calories? It's more of a mental game.

For example... To lose 1 lb a week I need to eat 1610, not a bad number.
BUT with my workouts I can burn between 300-550 calories. On top of the original 1610 that's 2160.
My weight loss has come to a stand still.

However, if I lower my calorie intake to 1300 (about a 1.6 lb loss a week) and eat back ALL of my workout calories... that would give me a max of about 1850.

For me, this isn't all about weight loss, I am doing a lot of strength training. However, when I see all those additional calories from exercise... I eat stuff I shouldn't (mainly carbs... even healthy ones do not good things for me). Which is defeating the LOOK I am going for. I figure with a smaller minimum number I will be more... cautious about what I eat and really "earn" those exercise calories.

Anyone else use this mind-set? I've tried the set at 1200 (starving) and at 1610 (pigging out)... I figure if I manipulate it (staying within a healthy boundries) I will see more overall success.

Thoughts... ideas.... advice...

**I hope what I was trying to say came across...

Replies

• DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers for you, but I just wanted to say Thank You for bringing this up. I'm in the same boat as you are and i'm not quite sure what to do either.
  • kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    Options
    Wow I thought I was the only one doing this and actually felt bad about it. I started doing it because I joined 3 & 1/2 weeks ago and was eating all of my MFP suggested calories plus exercise calories and went my 1st 2 weeks and lost nothing.....but in the last 9 days I have lost 2 lbs and I think it comes from me eating 200 calories less than MFP suggest but still eating all of my exercise calories. I know some members "may" disgaree with doing this but I think it works (at least for me).......thanks for posting, it's nice to know I'm not the only one :bigsmile:
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make the calculation easier by just saving 200 of your exercise calories.

1610 daily cal.
    400 exercise (picked a #)
    Total would be 2010....just eat 1810.

I don't think you need to mess with your 'base' , just don't eat all the exercise calories back and see what happens. Same difference, just an easier way to look at it. There is no way I can eat all of my exercise cals. But I do eat some of them, usually about 1/2.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My base is set at 1200, then I eat more than half of my exercise calories back.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who have had great success here eat about 1/2 of their exercise calories - which is essentially what you are doing. If it helps the mental aspect to manipulate the actual numbers - go for it!! We all have to work the system a little to find out what works best for us - it's the ones who think it's stupid to eat any exercise calories that get the flack! Some can eat all of them, some only a portion but keeping your numbers in a healthy range and properly fueling your body is the main idea.

Good job - I hope it works well for you! :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all my exercise calories and it's working just fine so far.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo?hl=confused+and+questioning&page=1#posts-76797

I think this post is sticky somewhere, but its the best overall discussion about eating your exercise calories.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yeah, I don't see anything wrong with this. I mean, as long as you are reasonable about your deficit, (which it seems that you are) there's no set way to create that deficit, what ever makes it easier for you should work.

I would agree with you on they types of calories though, especially if you are trying to do weight training. Less carbs and more protein and healthy fats is always good when you're weight training. Don't go overboard, but yeah, try to keep the carbs in the 45 to 55% range and you should do ok.
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    Awesome, thanks everyone!