Lower Back Pain While Running...

Options
There are aspects about running that I love! Largely the sense of accomplishment after finishing something I've set out to do. However, I always end the run with back pain. I've tried inserts for my shoes (the fancy kind you get measured for), motion control shoes, stability shoes, running more on my heel, running more on my toe, running in between. I'm not sure how to alleviate this pain. It's not crippling and it does eventually subside but I have to wait 10 minutes after my cool down to even be able to sit or I get shooting pains.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Some people have eliminated back pain by going to barefoot or minimal running.
    You have tried almost everything else.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think this probably has more to do with a weak core than your shoes. Especially as you get more tired your form tends to deteriorate and your back/abs/core will have trouble holding you upright. Try throwin in some planks and other core work into your workouts. You might find that increased core strength and balance helps you improve your running posture and helps with the pain.

Side note, if you do jump on the barefoot/minimal train do it slooooooowwwwllllyyyy and with caution.
  • serhanilker
    Options
    I had same problem, I have lost weight and no more. I suggest you don't run incline or decline, that helps.
  • fletchbo
    fletchbo Posts: 4
    Options
    How long have you been running? When I first started running (~8 years ago) I had back pain but I just kept running and eventually it completely went away. Some of it was just time, but some of it was getting better shoes as they really made a difference for me. Good luck!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think this probably has more to do with a weak core than your shoes. Especially as you get more tired your form tends to deteriorate and your back/abs/core will have trouble holding you upright. Try throwin in some planks and other core work into your workouts. You might find that increased core strength and balance helps you improve your running posture and helps with the pain.

Side note, if you do jump on the barefoot/minimal train do it slooooooowwwwllllyyyy and with caution.

This. It's your core. Do 2-3 days of good core exercise and I'd put money on your back issues disappearing. And a weak core can contribute to all sorts of running injuries as your mileage increases, since your form starts to suffer.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It could be poor form, it could be a weak core. As you get used to running more and more it's easier to find the right way for you. If you have a stronger core (abs and back, by the way) your form is better too. They kinda go together well. Try some weight lifting or yoga/pilates to help!

As for the pain now, I find resting with my feet elevated helps lower back pain. I'm suffering today due to a tough couple of workout videos from yesterday! Both abs and lower back! Sucks!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have two suggestions....

I have a history of back issues. Back in August I fell and misaligned my hips BADLY. After 5 weeks of chiropractic adjustments, I was finally pretty much back to *normal*. 6 months after my injury I started running on the treadmill. After about 15 minutes my lower back and hips would hurt like crazy. First, I went to my chiropractor and got adjusted. Then I went to the weight area and started using the back extension machine. After a week or so of using the machine, my lower back pain went away!

so I if I were you, I would check out chiropractic to make sure you don't have an anatomical issue causing the back pain. Then, if you go to a gym, check out the weight machines and see about doing back extensions to stretch the muscles in your back.
  • Rissyroo513
    Rissyroo513 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! A lot of good suggestions (especially about core strengthening). I have been doing some ab exercises but I think I will be doing more. Best of luck to you all!
  • nsdjogger
    nsdjogger Posts: 39
    Options
    I notice that I tend to tense up when I run. Try tipping your hips under just a teeny tiny bit while on your run. I learned that little trick from a book called The Chi of Running by Danny Dreyer.
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    Yoga and stretch. Good luck!
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    If you've eliminated shoes as a problem, it could be a weak core, poor form, or as simple as the extra weight you're carrying around. or could be a combo. Work on core exercises, watch your running form, and keep running!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you're working on your abs don't forget about your back! That needs strengthening as well.
  • petitchef
    Options
    can you reccomend some shoes? i have tried barefoot, with sandals and with shoes. no luck.