Need advice or ideas concerning my Liquid Life (AKA Coffee)

Options
I used to be a serious coffee-drinker. I have limited myself now to two-three (max) cups of coffee in the morning only. I have given up quite a bit on this and am not willing to give up my coffee...I mean...my husband and kids' lives depend on it! :laugh:

I use powdered creamer, After running out of my sweetener, I have been using sugar (3 tsp per cup and yes, this is bad. I am still working on lowering that and have quite a bit already). The sugar keeps killing me on my food diary, my coffee takes up almost all of it and it makes me feel bloated. But I hear the sweeteners, while low on calories, are pretty bad in themselves.

Any alternatives?

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Damnnn girl... You lowered your coffee intake and you're drinking 2-3cups a day NOW? I'm impressed in a way :)

I weaned myself slowly off of sweetened coffee altogether and now I drink about 1 or 2c a day with just milk. Sometimes if you really want to make a change, you have to suffer through it and just get used to it. I would not, in good conscience, suggest artificial sweeteners. That's just me. Others here will feel differently.

You are cutting back on the sugar and that is good, but if you're looking to cut back on sugar without using artificial sweeteners, your options are really limited. I could tell you to use agave nectar or stevia (I prefer agave) but if you overuse it, you're really no better off than using granulated sugar. I think cutting back your use of sugar is really going to be the way to go. sorry :(
  • Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, well...sometimes there's nothing to do but stop complaining and looking for ways out :tongue:

I appreciate your honesty. I think I will just have to start weaning myself off of the sweet part of the coffee. Tks for responding! =)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    DON"T USE AGAVE - pure fructose sugar and no healthier than the real deal...

and the fake chemical crap....avoid that

some alternatives that will give you a hint of sweetness without high sugar (note some will have a higher fat and therefore be more calories - you have to choose...BTW full fat doesn't make you fat or create body fat...only thing it does is add more calories)

Vanilla Sweetened Almond Milk - 1 cup is 90 calories - probably don't need more than 2 tablespoons - so about 11 calories
    Lite Coconut Milk from a can
    Half and Half
    Heavy Whipping cream
    Naturals type coffee creamer -

I usually have a cup in the morning -lately I have been using flavored coffee and use half and half (if I am at home I may add a dash of cinnimon and nutmeg to my cup) - I have an afternoon cup a few times a week - for that one I use it as an afternoon treat and will use a serving of Natural Bliss Creamer since it is basically 3 ingrediates and a lot cleaner then others
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't suggest overindulging in agave, but it's sweeter than sugar so if you're concerned about calories, you will use significantly less agave nectar than you would use sugar.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Drink it black, the way coffee was meant to be drunk :) Coffee is also an easy way to add 225mg of potassium (2 cups) to your breakfast.
  • ahager88
    ahager88 Posts: 14
    Options
    Since it is getting warmer out, I am drinking some iced coffee! I made up my own lower calorie alternative to starbucks-type drinks.

2 cups strong chilled coffee (I usually brew a pot the night before and chill it in the fridge)
    1/3 cup skim milk
    1tbsp chocolate syrup

Mix & pour over ice.

It is around 84 calories and is a nice treat! For a lower calorie version, you can always try sugar free coffee syrups as a subsitute to the chocolate syrup.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back-i-dont-even-put-sugar-in-my-coffee-anymore-either-thumb.jpg
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Drink it black, the way coffee was meant to be drunk :) Coffee is also an easy way to add 225mg of potassium (2 cups) to your breakfast.
    [/quote

Second this
  • kpwatson
    kpwatson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Maybe try changing now to 1/2 CAf fiene. I mix my own with my favorite comlumbian mixed with generic decaf. I personally like Agava and it is a little more bang for your buck than real sugar. I am going to try once more to do stevia. The first time I tried it I was not interested in it from the healthy point of view. It tasted a little like sweet grass.It was definitely plant based. I do not plan to give up coffee completely, but I find I am not craving it as much since I am not using as much sweetener, and my caffiene addiction has improved. Wishing you good luck!
  • Iceylyons
    Options
    once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back-i-dont-even-put-sugar-in-my-coffee-anymore-either-thumb.jpg

ROFL...Good thing I wasn't drinking anything, I would've spit it out....I LOLed so hard :laugh:
  • Iceylyons
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and advice! I will continue to try to wean myself from the sugar but I won't be expecting results over night, lol. I think I will try the Iced Coffee and those creamer things. Tks so much for responding!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm not a coffee drinker, but my mother is pretty hardcore. She used to use creamer and sugar, but she weaned herself down to just straight black coffee and she claims to really like it that way, so maybe try using less and less until you don't need any at all.

I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners, personally -- even Stevia and Truvia taste awful to me. But if you like those, I don't think it's a terrible alternative in moderation.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Do you like the flavored coffee or just the sugar? If it is flavor you like buy coffee in your favorite flavor and mix with your regular coffee in brewing. Like for me its I use 1/2 cup grounds for a 12 cup pot. I started out 1/4 reg coffee 1/4 flavor. Ive gotten down to less then 1/4 flavor and rest regular. But I understand I'm an odd one. I love the taste of just coffee. Don't get me wrong I used to love my frappe and latte and the like. French Vanilla Creamer used to me my go to thing. I started out drinking a pot black before left the kitchen table every morning. Then another in the day. To cold turkey no coffee. Then back up to 8-12 double shot expresso a day. So in my mind downing the coffee a regular pot with lots of creamer and such was an improvement. Fast forward to today. And my new brew once or twice a week (1 or two cups only) with only 2 of my home made frappe at the max a week. So I totally understand the love of coffee and the need to have it for not only your sake but those around you. :smile:
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...I love it "liquid life"! I was in the same boat, I would drink 64oz of coffee a day...now I'm down to 12oz a day. Try flavored coffee black, like hazelnut or pumpkin spice. :) I do really enjoy the Bailey's Coffee Creamer, you get the cream and sweet all in one, it is like my one daily treat! :)
  • everytree
    everytree Posts: 127
    Options
    I do coffee with just a small splash of 1% milk. I prefer it black but it's too hard on my tummy.

Just slowly reduce the amount of sugar you put in yours and soon you won't need it at all
  • mermaidNpink
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, used to be a 3 mocha per day addict. I had to totally quit coffee for a while to discover the source of the problem, found out it wasn't so much the coffee I needed but the excuse to get away from my desk for a while, just a moment of "me time". So now when I start craving the mocha I take small breaks throughout the day first, if I find that I still want it afterwards I put one tablespoon of cocoa mix in it, which makes it sweet enough but took some adjusting. Good luck to you, this was a hard one to kick.
  • NickPineault
    Options
    Please, throw away the creamers and artifical sweetners. Nothing will impair your fat loss ability more than these chemicals.

Now, if you want to "spice it up" a little big, here's what I suggest:

1) Cinnamon, which helps you control your blood sugars and metabolism
    2) Coconut milk or cream (in moderation, because of the high calorie content)
    3) sugar-free almond milk
    4) a little bit of honey (which is still sugar, but a teaspoon won't kill you)

I hope that helps!

Nick
    Nutrition and Weight loss coach
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    make your coffee to be your snacks and put some chocolate protein powder in it... it tastessss soooooo gooooood - I just now finished having some "Power Coffee" <--- that is what I call it
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

I weaned myself slowly off of sweetened coffee altogether and now I drink about 1 or 2c a day with just milk. Sometimes if you really want to make a change, you have to suffer through it and just get used to it.

Same. I'm a huge coffee hound, too. I used to always use sweetened coffee creamers-- and the calories aren't even that bad if you use measured amounts, it just seemed silly to be drinking so much sugar. I started diluting the sweetened creamer with milk or FF half & half until I didn't mind not having the sweetened at all. Now I love my coffee with just some non-dairy creamer (about 10 cals per TB)! You can do it.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I use regular sugar and regular creamer (usually creme brulee). I drink 1-2 cups a day so not a lot. Now, I've gotten flack for it before and probably will again, but I don't log the creamer, sugar, or coffee!

It hasn't affected my progress at all. I use like 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and probably the serving of creamer (I just dump in the cup) so I'm not going overboard...but maybe it's something you shouldn't log unless you're using huge amounts. And it may not work for you not to log it but it's something to try/consider.

However, if I go out and actually get a latte or mocha or something...then I do log it but normal brewed stuff...nope not at all..I don't even consider it!

So something for you to think about.