Ladies - Body Pump Weights

Options
I'm going to my first body pump and just was wondering about the weights, what sort of weights is common to use and do you use different amounts at different stages (from what I've gathered you do) or the same all throughout?

I have quite a bit of experience lifting before, but never for endurance / high rep, and I've never done classes. All my lifting's been high weight / low rep, and I don't want to pick up a heavier weight and not be able to handle it for that length of time! :laugh:

I usually train on 45-50kg for bench, 25-30kg shoulder pres, 50-55kg squat and 50-70kg deadlift but that's all like 4-8 reps. If anyone is at about the same level and does bodypump too it'd be great to hear what you started on, or if you use a certain % of your max? :)

Men can feel free to answer, but as much as I'd like to say otherwise, you're still a lot stronger than me, and mainly I just want to know with what weight everyone used in their first session, so I have a rough idea.

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I've never done body pump, but when a buddy of mine was chasing around this girl (she's his wife now), he used to drag me to this group power class that she taught. The one thing I will say is start off small. Like take the weight you think would be really easy, and half it. Better to go to your first couple classes too light and get used to the moves and transitions than go too heavy and die.

My $0.02, I was too big and macho to use the light weights when I first went...and got a humbling experience watching 60 year old ladies do a better job than me.
  • SBthud326
    SBthud326 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do Body Pump at home and I would agree with starting off lower than what you would think. Those are long sets with lots of reps, much better to start lower and work up than start too high and have to take them off.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Got it, really light weight :)

Do you change up the weights for the different exercises / muscle groups throughout the class or just stick to one? It would make sense to change it up as legs would obviously be a lot heavier than say shoulders, but it's unclear, and I did hear once about some classes you stick to the same weight the whole way through.
  • SBthud326
    SBthud326 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I haven't done the class in the gym, but the hour long DVDs go through a warm up, squats, chest, back, biceps, triceps, lunges/squats, shoulders, abs and a cool down/stretch. The large muscle sections are usually 5.5 minutes, the smaller muscles being 4-4.5 minutes. The barbell that came with it is really easy to change weights and I would think your instructor would make some recommendations in between sets. I usually do 30lbs for the larger groups, 15-20lbs for the smaller ones with the bar and 5lb plates for abs and shoulders. Like I said, I haven't done the gym class version but I can't imagine keeping the same weight the whole time!!
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Definitely light weights to start. Sometimes the squat tracks are 6-7 minutes long, so you don't want to go too heavy, until you figure out how much you can handle

I change my weights throughout the class, and if you're new, the instructor does a good job of letting the class know on which tracks you should have more weight, about how much you should take off for others, etc.

I do think it makes weight lifting a lot more fun and the time in class sure flies. Good luck!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I changed weights for the program I was doing.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's important to remember that this is endurace lifting, especially since I know you're weight room lifter. Form is slightly different in some respects because the moves are faster (no *kitten* to grass, dead lifts to knee or mid shin not floor), so they shorten moves to keep the pace and decrease the chances of group injury. As an instructor whose been doing this for several years my wieghts are as follows (we have 2.5, 5, and 7.5 pound plates, the weights below do not include that of the 2.5 pound bar):

Warm up: 25# (should be lightest weight of the day)
    Squat: 65# (should be heaviest weight of the day)
    Bench: 30# (should be 33% - 50% of squat weight)
    Glutes/Back/Hamis: 35# (I usually start losing my grip half way through this track so I have to keep my weight lower than I'd like)
    Tris: 25# bar, 7.5# kickbacks, 10 - 15# over head press.
    Bis: 25# (Tris & Bis should be within 5#'s and the lighter one of these should be your warm up weight)
    Lunges: 40# if off the bench, 30 - 35 if on.
    Shoulders: 7.5# free weights, 25#bar
    Abs: do the harder options first than add a 7.5# plate when instructed
    Cool down

I would never ever suggest to a first timer to go this heavy, most of my guys can't even imagine squatting my weight.
  • foxyhotgal
    foxyhotgal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    hey hun, in my class we use dumbbells 1kg 2kg 3kg or 4kg, i normally take the 1kg and the 2kg ones and start with the 2kgs and if it gets too hard i swap to the 1kgs. when we do squats and other leg exercises we use weighted bars but again not very heavy. just go with what you think, maybe grab two pairs of weights and dont be afraid to change if its too hard or too easy, at the start i was always running back for diff weights xxxx
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love BodyPump! You should def start out with lighter weights. It is really not the same as just lifting. I would say you could probably add a little for the squats and lunges, but not too much more. Hope this helps! :) Have fun!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) All replies have been really helpful! I can't wait now! :happy:
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Hi mate, i usually do:

squats: 25kg
    chest: 14kg
    back: 12-14kg
    triceps: 10kg
    biceps 5-6kg
    lunges: 10kg
    shoulders: 6kg
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You sound strong to me!

I do:
    Warmup - 5kg
    Squats - 15kg
    Chest - 10kg
    Back - 12.5kg
    Triceps - 7.5kg
    Biceps - 5kg
    Lunges - 12.5kg
    Shoulders - 5kg
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hey Heidi,
    OK in pump I usually do

Warmup - Barbell 10kg (5 on each side)
    Squats - barbell - 20kg (10 on each side)
    Chest - barbell, 12kg
    Back, - 12kg, sometimes 14kg
    Triceps - 10kg
    Biceps - 8kg (this one kills me dont know why)
    Lunges - 12kg
    Shoulders - I use the 6kg dumbells.

You're very strong so I would say try something lighter than you think so next time you have a better gauge, the reps are a lot more than doing weights your used to, so pick something you could do for 3 minutes continuous!

Have fun. x
  • mae1020
    mae1020 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Definitely start out with lower weights. I do lighter weights for arms and a bit heavier for legs and clean and press. After a few classes I was able to increase the weight. Enjoy the class. It's alot of fun and a great workout!!
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I agree you sould definitely start off light, especially for your first time, to at least gauge whether the weight is too little, too much, or just right depending on the area of the body you're focusing on. I use

5# warmup
    10# squats, chest, back/clean & press tracks
    7.5# biceps, triceps, lunges tracks
    5# shoulder track
    10# core track

Sometimes I can push myself to use 12.5# for the back track.

Body Pump rocks!!!
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first body pump class tomorrow. Can't wait :-)
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've never done body pump, but when a buddy of mine was chasing around this girl (she's his wife now), he used to drag me to this group power class that she taught. The one thing I will say is start off small. Like take the weight you think would be really easy, and half it. Better to go to your first couple classes too light and get used to the moves and transitions than go too heavy and die.

My $0.02, I was too big and macho to use the light weights when I first went...and got a humbling experience watching 60 year old ladies do a better job than me.
    you are so correct, start small!
  • shabbychick81
    Options
    I am doing my first body pump class tomorrow. Can't wait :-)
    how do like t?
  • shabbychick81
    Options
    what do you all think of the at home version? i have only done the gym version
  • Eagle233
    Options
    Definitely go light for your first session but you'll be surprised how quickly you can build up your weights. Do the class a couple of times with light weights until you get the hang of the format then start adding weight on 1-2 tracks at a time Eg: up your squat and back weights, then the next week try increasing your chest and bicep weights and so on...

My current weights are:
    Warm up: 10kg total (+ bar)
    Squats: 37.5kg total, have trouble getting much more than that over my head! (+ bar)
    Chest: 27.5 kg total (+ bar)
    Back: 30kg total (+ bar)
    Triceps: 20kg total (+ bar)
    Biceps: 15kg total (+ bar) Can't seem to improve on this.
    Lunges: Usually just hold plates, don't really like doing lunges with a bar, if the track is mostly squats will go with about chest weight.
    Shoulders: 5+2.5 kg plates in each hand for rear delt raises and 5kg plates in each hand for side raises, mac raises etc. 17.5kg on the bar.

I tend to focus my energy on the big tracks, (squats, chest and back) then just finish off the muscles with light weights in the isolation tracks (biceps, triceps, shoulders) and don't seem to worry about increasing the weights on the smaller tracks as often but that's just personal preference.

Main advice is you are stronger than you might think, so start light till you get the hang of it then have fun challenging yourself, and kick the guys butts! I love watching big guys come in and try to keep up with my weights only to find they can't keep it up for the number of reps done in bodypump!