Plantar Fascitis. HELP!

Options
I have begun training for a January marathon. I have registered for races throughout the summer. Last week after my run, the bottoms of my feet were tingley and there was a pain shooting up behind my ankle bone. I took the week off. I went and bought new sneakers ASICS. The lady at ****s said they are very good.

I waitressed all day yesterday in a 9 hour shift. I am exhausted. My feet are tingly on the bottom...

If I stay off my feet this week will it heal up?
I think I need a different shaped shoe?

The podiatrist was so non concerned. Sold me a $35 arch support that does nothing.
I am so FRUSTRATED.

What to do????????????????:sad:

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    This is such a painful thing - I too am having problems - the doc put me on a med for it - like a anti - inflammatory but it's not done too much. You can get cotizone shots - thats what they did for me the first time this happened - I am going to ask for another....I can't hardly walk but at least it's only one foot most of the time for me.

Try icing it too - it helps some.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat, the runner's world website has some good stretches for that. I laid off my feet for about a week after a half marathon in April. It was so painful. Another good tip is to stretch your feet in the morning before you get out of bed. In summary though, it went away and has yet to come back and I've run another half and a handful of 10 and 8ks. It's not permanent!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I co-worker is a runner and has this problem. She was told to do yoga and calf stretches. Tight hamstrings and calf muscels make it worse. Since runners aren't known for their flexibility, it is suggested to not stretch before a run but to do yoga at other times in the week.

Sorry it is so painful. Good Luck.
  • leshawnturner
    Options
    I completely understand what you are going through. My podiatrist sold me the same $35 arch supports that have helped a little but not a whole lot. Now he wants me to invest in a $300 pair of custom orthodics:grumble: :noway: . He says that will help a lot more. He also mentioned that I could do physical therapy. They have a "ultrasound" like machine that they run over your feet that's supposed to help that muscle. I have yet to try that because I am battling my insurance right now over it. Try icing and heating your feet. (Although when I did it it made my feet cramp, but it might work for you.) Also, periodically through out the day stretch your feet.

My pain is still there, but I am told that it can go away. Good luck to you!!!
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    Thank you:)
    I will try stretches and icing etc...

I also have a lde light therapy machine i will try...

there was an article in the paper on friday about running. it said to beware of podiatrists -- they make their money selling orthoditcs and arch supports...

NO MORE HIGH HEELS FOR THIS LITTLE LADY!
  • michele73
    michele73 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have had this and it's so painful at times. Especially, when I would use the treadmill or long walks. It took me a while to get rid of. I think more than a year. I had lost some weight and that helped for me specifically. I also would have to wear shoes even while at home. I usually walk around barefoot but those days are gone. It is so much better since I just kept my sneakers or a certain shoe on while at home. I go back and forth between something with a wedge and complete flat shoes. Because if I used only one over the other I would have pain again. Good Luck to you!

Michele
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I've never had it before, however my 14yo son plays competitive travel soccer and always has problems with his feet and knees. After reading up on several sports medicine and soccer sites I have found that you can take 2 water bottles and freeze them. After walking or running or when your feet hurt you can put the bottles under your feet and roll them to relieve some of the pain and pressure. Hope that helps :happy: