5' 6" Woman at 150 pounds is obese??

Replies

• heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    155 is my goal weight, and I am 5'6. It's the smallest I remember being, and I may even be overshooting it. I may have been a teenager at that weight, I can't remember.

I told my mom, who is 5'8 (works out like a crazy person and plays sports on men's teams) and who is also slender-boned with little wrists and legs up to her face that 155 was my goal weight, and she said that is how much she weighs.

I'm built like my dad, which means I'm more stocky with less legs. I highly doubt I could make it to 155 with any kind of muscle tone or maintain it healthily. I've left it as my goal, but it might need changing later.

This is why I think the BMI is crap, it just doesn't take into account how you're built. Even as a guideline, it's just pointless.
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    BMI is crap. The article is discussing changing BMI scales to account for body fat %. If the 5'6"/150lb woman has high body fat I agree she should be considered obese because body fat is a far better indicator of health than the number on the scale.
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    I agree...it does not take into account your body frame. Some of us just have larger frames than others. For instance, African-americans scientifically speaking have denser bones than Asians who have more porous bones. Personally, I am btw 5'6" and 5' 7" and have weighed 145 lbs in the past and I looked sickly. On the flip side, when I was around 170 I looked like a brickhouse i.e. Serena Williams-esque LOL. My goal now is btw 155 to 160 to achieve a healthier BMI...but I will reassess as I get closer to my goal.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Wow. If that's the case, I'm already dead.. x.x
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    I don't get this article. It states that body fat percentage is a better indicator of health problems than BMI...so as a result of that they are going to lower the BMI scale? Huh?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    24 BMI would be obese? o.O
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Oh and I also don't get lowering it such a huge amount. At 5'7 and 157 (BMI 24) you would go from being a normal weight to being obese. Are they completely eliminating the "overweight" category?
  • I'm also 5' 6" and used to be 150. I'm 156 now, but trying to work down to 135. I realize that I may not get there seeing as I do intend to build muscle, but I have yet to see how my body will take the fat reduction. Right now I'm just blasting 2 hours of cardio per day :) I think you can do it, I have the same body type, and name as you ;D
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    I'm almost 5'9" and my goal weight is 145 (which is on the lower range of my healthy weight). That is just a weight I am aiming for. I have no idea if there is a heavier weight that will satisfy me. If I like the way I look at 155, then that's where I'll stop.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    What a load of balls.
  • 155 is my goal weight, and I am 5'6. It's the smallest I remember being, and I may even be overshooting it. I may have been a teenager at that weight, I can't remember.

I told my mom, who is 5'8 (works out like a crazy person and plays sports on men's teams) and who is also slender-boned with little wrists and legs up to her face that 155 was my goal weight, and she said that is how much she weighs.

I'm built like my dad, which means I'm more stocky with less legs. I highly doubt I could make it to 155 with any kind of muscle tone or maintain it healthily. I've left it as my goal, but it might need changing later.

This is why I think the BMI is crap, it just doesn't take into account how you're built. Even as a guideline, it's just pointless.

I'm also 5' 6" and used to be 150. I'm 156 now, but trying to work down to 135. I realize that I may not get there seeing as I do intend to build muscle, but I have yet to see how my body will take the fat reduction. Right now I'm just blasting 2 hours of cardio per day :) I think you can do it, I have the same body type, and name as you ;D
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Oh and I also don't get lowering it such a huge amount. At 5'7 and 157 (BMI 24) you would go from being a normal weight to being obese. Are they completely eliminating the "overweight" category?

I was wondering this too. So the healthy range is going to be tiny now or what?
  • Oh and I also don't get lowering it such a huge amount. At 5'7 and 157 (BMI 24) you would go from being a normal weight to being obese. Are they completely eliminating the "overweight" category?

I was wondering this too. So the healthy range is going to be tiny now or what?

Wow. Then I guess Abercrombie/ Hollister/ American Eagle type clothing sizes will be more accurate if everything needs to be tinier.