So how long have you "kept it off"

Options
kimmyj74
kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
Ok I love reading all the motivational stories and pictures. But how long has everyone maintained?
If you all could share how much weight you have lost total and how long you have kept it off?

Replies

• MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Well I just about hit goal last week, so only a week so far...My total loss was about 23 lbs! :)

I'm so nervous about slipping up and putting 5 lbs back on! Eek!!!

Anyone have any good tips?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 pounds from December 2010 to July 2011, and I've been around the same weight since July.

My weight has gone down a little, up a little, down a little... and I found it's a lot more satisfying to take photos in my bathing suit regularly to check my progress instead of going by what the scale says. The scale sucks.
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Agreed...the scale is a biotch ;-)

I would go by how your clothes fit...I've heard maintenance is hard than losing, but my trainer swears that once you get where you want to be, it's easy...
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've been 125 or under (I'm 121.6 right now) since October 2010. I started out at about 145lbs in March 2010.
  • ksiverts
    ksiverts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs in 2002 and got down to a great weight for me and I kept the weight off for about 4 years. However, I just kept losing weight slowly and I started to get too thin...I was getting a lot of pressure from my family to put some weight back on, but I took that as a free pass to just eat whatever I wanted to put some weight back on and before I knew it I was hooked back on all the sugary junk that had put the weight on in the first place. Not to mention, I had an "excuse" not to get my needed exercise. I just got back into my healthy lifestyle at the end of January and have lost 11 lbs so far - but this time when I get to my goal weight I'm going to increase my calories to a maintenance level with more protein and healthy fats and not with cake and ice cream...and keep tracking my calories. I know its cliche...but this has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I lost around 45 lbs in 2008 and have maintained that weight +-15 lbs since then. So I started at 265 in April of 2008 and dropped down to 220 since then I have been as high as 235 and as low as 205.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I finally got to my goal weight at around maybe August-ish, maybe September. Can't remember exactly but I kept it up for that long. I'm gaining right now, but that's on purpose.
  • amy_marlene
    amy_marlene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    4 years ago i've lost 17 lbs and kept it off for 2 years
  • kheather72
    kheather72 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It has been about 6 yrs since I lost 75lbs. I was 184 when I had my daughter (I only gained 12lbs though, I was 172 when I got pregnant) and got down to 110 roughly. I have kept it within 10lbs. It is certainly harder to maintain than lose. It is certainly a challenge that I will have to keep a close eye for the rest of my life, as I gain weight REALLY easy.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 15 lbs (before i joined MFP) since 2010 and i have not gained those 15 lbs back. Since joining MFP i have set a goal to lose another 15-20 lbs.
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lost ten pounds 2 years ago and have maintained that
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I got to my original goal weight of 175 pounds last August and I was in maintenance until mid-November last year. I decided to lose 15 more to try to get my body fat down and am about 6 pounds away from my new goal. I basically reset my goals for zero pounds lost and allowed a +/- 3 pound variation. If I dipped to 172, I would eat a little more. If I got up to 178, I went into 1/2 pound a week lost mode until I was under 175. I mostly stayed under 175. I continued to work out and log. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. Just don't get complacent.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Something like 1.5 years so far. Maybe 2? Hard to say, I'm bad with keeping track of time. About 35 lbs.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Well, I hit 120.4 April 2011 (from 130+) after 6 months of logging and counting and weighing and forcing myself to exercise. (And eating a bunch of processed crap). I went Primal may 2011 (Primal Blueprint). I dropped another 7lbs the first six weeks and have been maintaining/dropping slowly since then. I was 113 in August 2011. I hit 109.6 at that beginnig of March 2012. I now hover between 110-113 and have no problem maintaining this weight - the number depends on carbs - they bloat me right up - yes even whole grains. I don't count calories or worry about portions. I exercise when I feel like it (I do my best to be active more than anything).

My main macronutrient is fat in the form of eggs, animal fats, pastured butter, coconut oil, olive oil and avocado oil sparingly. My main fat is saturated. Interesting that eating fat isn't making me fat. In fact, it is what is keeping me slim and trim.
  • gogogo53
    gogogo53 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lost 64 lbs back in 1997 , gained 27 lbs over 14 years, this included, two major surgeries, and quitting smoking in between.

Now in my mid fifties and still at it. Everyday I think of my eating habits and exercising. It is now a lifestyle and will always be. Although I did gain some back I'm still very satisfied with the results.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 25-30 lbs and I've kept it off for about a year now. I have 5 vanity pounds I'd like to lose, or to slim down and be just a bit more defined in my ab area, but that's about it :)
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Lost 80 lbs and have kept it off for 14 years now. 32 ... size 6 ... happy :love:
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I was 165 in h.s. I'm about 167 lbs now I think...since I'm 44 years old that would be a long time!!

But my secret is eating well, water and running....lots and lots of running.....ran track in high school and still run a lot on the weekends...just did a marathon but I've done 5ks, 10ks, a half, the Warrior Dash, anything to challenge myself.

Of course now that I've found MFP I throw a little Jillian in there, too, for exercise.

Best way to keep it off is to stay active! :)
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    From 270 in June 2010, I reached Onederland last March and about 180 (my current weight) last October... so you can say a year, or you could say 6 months.
  • MandieMarieF
    MandieMarieF Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 85 lbs. Started when I was 15 and dropped the first 40 within months. Been a long weight loss journey since then, but never went back to my former body. I've continued to keep it off for going on 12 years now. I set a goal of 155lbs (I'm 6'1) when I first started losing and finally hit that about 6 weeks ago. I am happy where I am, but still wanting to lose 10 or so more lbs. Just never happy! lol.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!