Here we go again...

Options
Hello everyone!

This is not my first time trying this program, I have tried numerous times and failed. However, this will be my first time using the program and hopefully adding friends on here to give me the support and kicks I need to keep going. :-) Turns out all of my friends around here are a bad influence and always want me to eat all the wrong things.

But I guess I should introduce myself...
My name is Stephanie, I am 26 years old and I live in Nebraska. Ever since 2004 I have been on a constant weight incline. I have tried dieting and exercise and can never seem to stick with it. The one time I did lose 20 lbs it was because I had a friend pushing me and supporting me with my diet and workout routine. She has since moved away and it is hard to stay motivated when everyone around you is eating steak and potatoes :-) It seems my husband can eat whatever he wants and however much he wants everyday and not gain a single pound. I think I must gain his weight for him. Although I really want to look nice for him again (since I've put on about 60 lbs since he met me) I'm ultimately doing this for myself. I would really love to add some friends on here that can push me to accomplish my goal! Any advice is welcome!

Thanks and good luck to everyone on their own goals!!
Steph

Replies

• rdefal710
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck! I am in a similar situation at 25 years old living in Chicago. I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years and have put on weight since we first met. It is very hard and I feel the same way. I have no motivation around me to get going. What I found that helps me is right when I get home from work to try to exercise for 30 minutes. If I don't exercise immediately from coming home, I won't! I also try to limit myself to 200 calories for breakfast, 400 for lunch and dinner and eat more fruits and vegetables that way you can have a snack and maintain around 1200 calories a day.
  • spraypainter
    Options
    Hey Stephanie,

Your post is quite reflective of my situation. I joined MFP back in August of last year- and didn't quite use it. I have been consistently sad about how much weight I have gained and am now on this, tracking my calories (as of 2 days ago).

I am 24 years old, and have gained 32 lbs since I met my boyfriend (5 years ago). I am shocked at how much weight I put on but it has happened and I want to take control. Although my boyfriend has never once called me fat and says I am still as beautiful as the first day he saw me, my weight gain has been pointed out by my FRIENDS and my FAMILY (every 2-4 weeks that I go home) - and it has given me nothing but sadness lately. I wish you good luck on your goal and hope we are able to get to our goal weight!
  • acrego
    acrego Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Welcome Steph,

Good luck on your goals! This is a great place for support.

There must be something about having a boyfriend that causes weight gain! I swear! I have the same problem. My boyfriend eats whatever he wants, but I'm the one who gains. He says he can't tell the difference but... I still hate it. :(

Be sure to make your food diary public, people here are full of helpful advice. I try to keep it simple. Eliminate as much added sugar & fat as possible, no carbs unless in whole grain form, stay away from "diet" foods, just eat lots and lots of veggies, fruits, some legumes and lean proteins.

And exercise every day!

You can do this!
  • stuffsdb
    stuffsdb Posts: 165
    Options
    Hey Stephanie,

Your post is quite reflective of my situation. I joined MFP back in August of last year- and didn't quite use it. I have been consistently sad about how much weight I have gained and am now on this, tracking my calories (as of 2 days ago).

I am 24 years old, and have gained 32 lbs since I met my boyfriend (5 years ago). I am shocked at how much weight I put on but it has happened and I want to take control. Although my boyfriend has never once called me fat and says I am still as beautiful as the first day he saw me, my weight gain has been pointed out by my FRIENDS and my FAMILY (every 2-4 weeks that I go home) - and it has given me nothing but sadness lately. I wish you good luck on your goal and hope we are able to get to our goal weight!

My husband is supportive and hasn't ever called me fat. Though just like you it has been pointed out by my family on numerous occasions. My husband told me he fell in love with me and that's all that matters. However I have noticed that the "you look beautiful" comments have slowed way down and I have to say I miss them. Best of luck to you, I'm hitting my calorie goals this week (so far)!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!

My best advice to you is to log absolutely every thing you put in your mouth, no matter how small or insignificant it might seem to you. Also measure everything you eat. You'll be surprised to find out how many calories you're eating that you didn't realize you were and how small a portion of food really is.

When my husband I were first married he was a stick figure and could eat anything and everything and he did. As we've gotten older, his metabolism has changed and now he really has to watch what he eats or he puts on pounds as easily as everyone else. This will also happen to yours and it's a little sweet revenge for you when it finally happens. :devil: :laugh:
  • stuffsdb
    stuffsdb Posts: 165
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!

My best advice to you is to log absolutely every thing you put in your mouth, no matter how small or insignificant it might seem to you. Also measure everything you eat. You'll be surprised to find out how many calories you're eating that you didn't realize you were and how small a portion of food really is.

When my husband I were first married he was a stick figure and could eat anything and everything and he did. As we've gotten older, his metabolism has changed and now he really has to watch what he eats or he puts on pounds as easily as everyone else. This will also happen to yours and it's a little sweet revenge for you when it finally happens. :devil: :laugh:

Thanks for the welcome! I have been recording everything, I even scanned the bar code on the pack of my gum yesterday. :-) My biggest issue is sticking with it for more than 2 weeks. I'm the kind of person that gets unmotivated if i don't see instant results.

That might be the case with my husband someday but his parents are both super thin and fit still...so maybe he just has good genes :-)