Hungry Horrors

Options
Every once in a while I get the "Hungry Horrors". This is when I am extremely hungry and no matter what I eat I am still hungry. Doesn't happen often, but you can see how it can throw off your calorie count. Does this ever happen to you and how do you deal with it?

Replies

• RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If I was still feeling hungry after a planned out meal, I'd drink more water. Sometimes your body is thirsty but the feeling is hunger.

If that didn't help, usually a work out or doing something that involved both hands, like painting my nails, would help.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time. I actually have over-eating issues. When this strikes, I usually make myself something huge that I can eat myself sick on without eating a billion calories:

Salad with simple vinegar dressing

Kale chips

Air popped pop corn

sugar-free jello

Sugar-free popcicles
  • warrenvalley
    warrenvalley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I try to get some protein in along with something that takes a while to eat. A glass of lowfat chocolate milk is great for a sweets craving plus it has protien and will slow down the hunger. I shake up the jug first to make it more like a shake. Grapes are good for mindless snacking that has some nutritional value but not a ton of calories.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    YES!!! This happens frequently. If I've been avoiding treats for a while it's not as bad, and I can work through it by keeping busy, but if it's been a long weekend, or a vacation, watch out! It takes me weeks sometimes to get back in control.
    That said, I found that herbal tea helps. The time it takes to drink it seems to have an impact on the craving. Maybe the warm comfort food feel of it too. I allow myself a half spoon of sugar, and keep teas I like handy. Berry and cherry are my favs. Eating veggies or fruit does absolutely nothing, I still want all the other stuff anyway. That big salad might work, however! I have switched to the odd salad for supper, and they do fill me up.
    I also find that evenings where I'm busy exercising I have less trouble. (The 'busy' factor again). Then, when I do sit down, I find it easier to resist because I've worked so hard to be healthy. And, if I fail, I've burned some of those calories already. (Unfortunately, it's actually impossible to burn enough to make up for chips, ice cream and cookies all in one night!!. I know, I've tracked it.)
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I try to get some protein in along with something that takes a while to eat. A glass of lowfat chocolate milk is great for a sweets craving plus it has protien and will slow down the hunger. I shake up the jug first to make it more like a shake. Grapes are good for mindless snacking that has some nutritional value but not a ton of calories.

Grapes actually have a lot of calories compared to other fruits! Over 100 calories in a cup, which it can be very easy to do when just eating them out of their bag. Raspberries are a good option since they're fairly low in calories and very sweet and filling.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I stole a term from the Hunger Games books for this - Hollow Days.

For me, I typically have a hollow day exactly one week before my TOM starts, so that one I plan for. Tons of small snacks, all low in cal but can keep me basically eating all day. I don't go over on cals/macros and I feel more mentally satiated because of the number of times I ate throughout the day.

On unexpected days, I just face it and deal with it best I can. I consume breakfast, lunch and all snacks for the day during work, so if I didn't pack something in my bag the night before, it's not there to eat. So I try to just focus on work, drink plenty of water and keep my snacks spaced evenly through the day. Usually once I get home and eat dinner I'm fine. Because my brain is more tuned in to that being it's main shut down trigger of last meal of the day since I'll be working out later and can't do that successfully on too much food in my gut.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all