I don't see my results fast enough... :(

Options
Hi there, I am 46.4kgs and about 153cm tall. I know this is healthy for my height but I would like to get down to about 40 kgs. I started off working out about a month ago, I weighed 47.8kgs. I can definitely feel my shorts getting looser. Now that the month is almost ending, I am getting frustrated as the scale is not going down...

I eat clean and work out 5-6 times a week. Each workout sesh comprises of a 4 min tabata workout, weights, cardio/strength circuit, abs and then about 30 minutes on the treadmill.

My intensity on the treadmill isn't that low either. I do intervals - Sprint at 10mph (1 minute) and jog at 6.7mph (2 minutes). I can def feel my stamina increasing but it isn't translated to my physical appearance! This has gotten me very very frustrated and I'm even on the verge of deciding if I should just starve.... :(

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Don't do Tabata everyday. IMO, it shouldn't be done more than 3 times max a week because of the stress on the nervous system.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    slow and steady wins the race
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Starving is no good, you might lose but as soon as you go back to normal habits you'll gain it all back if not more. I say just keep doing what your doing, do not let the scale guide you...let it be everything you've mentioned, the loose shorts, the increased stamina. Sounds like you are doing great!! :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Have to have reasonable expectations! I have only lost about 3 pounds in the last 2 months,. but measurements are going down.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Starving yourself won't get you anywhere. Please don't do that.

And, you have to give it some time. You're going to see results, but you have to be patient. Do you have a tape measure so you can take your measurements? You may see more results with that than the scale.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you're a healthy weight, why are you going to starve yourself to lose more? The big secret is this; most men find overly skinny women repulsive. Most of us like women with some meat on their bones - either fit and trim or softer and curvy. 40kgs at 153 will put you very much into the Underweight category in BMI and as you work out regularly, that is not a healthy goal AT ALL.

Reconsider. Is a number on a scale more important than how you look? Is it more important than your long term health? Because, I don't know about anyone else, but I've never weighed someone to decide if I find them attractive.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    get that measuring tape out... do NOT starve. That is going to make you feel awful and slow your metabolism down and not help you in the long run! you will find you gain...
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    I've tried taking measurements before. Is there a good diagram/picture to show exactly WHERE you should measure?
  • carlywifeybrown
    carlywifeybrown Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Also remember that working out produces muscle, and musle is heavier than fat - so don't get too hung up on the scales, you sound like you are doing fantastically well!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hey there! It took me a whole year of REALLY hitting they gym to see results.

If you are like me, in your 30's then it's soooooo hard to lose what you've put on....And sometimes all the muscle gain doesn't make you LOOK as small as you want to...but your heart is loving all the healthy choices you are making. And get a flexible measuring tape, I bet you are losing inches! Inches are what matters when you are "gymming it".

I felt the same way you do right now. It takes so damn long....but remember that you are changing from the inside, and your body will actually reject this new lifestyle for the first few months. DON'T give up! (If you do you will gain it all back plus more - take it from one who knows)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I hear your pain! Starving myself only made me gain, so not an option! You are doing wonderful things for your body, and be proud of yourself for that. You can't see increased stamina on your body, it's only something you feel. But it's great for your overall health. Patience is the key. You will get there eventually!
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    why do you want to be 40 kg?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    @ 5' tall you are already on the lower end of healthy weight. 40kgs would put you under "healthy". You may want to focus on BF% instead of scale weight. take up strength training and build some lean muscle.
  • isazzzz
    Options
    If you're a healthy weight, why are you going to starve yourself to lose more? The big secret is this; most men find overly skinny women repulsive. Most of us like women with some meat on their bones - either fit and trim or softer and curvy. 40kgs at 153 will put you very much into the Underweight category in BMI and as you work out regularly, that is not a healthy goal AT ALL.

Reconsider. Is a number on a scale more important than how you look? Is it more important than your long term health? Because, I don't know about anyone else, but I've never weighed someone to decide if I find them attractive.

40 kgs is just something I am working towards to but if I hit 42kgs, I'd be really happy already :) It's like.. shooting for the stars, if I miss at least I'm in the clouds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Also remember that working out produces muscle, and musle is heavier than fat - so don't get too hung up on the scales, you sound like you are doing fantastically well!
    Not if you're on calorie deficit. It's practically impossible to build muscle on calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jodycoady
    Options
    I've tried taking measurements before. Is there a good diagram/picture to show exactly WHERE you should measure?

neck, waist (where your ribs are), hips, thighs
  • isazzzz
    Options
    @ 5' tall you are already on the lower end of healthy weight. 40kgs would put you under "healthy". You may want to focus on BF% instead of scale weight. take up strength training and build some lean muscle.

Yep exactly. I just want to lose body fat and tone up. But I can't 'really' tone up until the layer of fat is gone.
  • isazzzz
    Options
    I hear your pain! Starving myself only made me gain, so not an option! You are doing wonderful things for your body, and be proud of yourself for that. You can't see increased stamina on your body, it's only something you feel. But it's great for your overall health. Patience is the key. You will get there eventually!

I hope so too dear!
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Very well put....
  • jodycoady
    Options
    slow and steady wins the race

Darn right! Simple but true.