Need chip suggestions for salsa

Options
My husband makes the most wonderful, awesome, perfect homemade salsa on the planet... it is my absolute favorite! He is going to make some this weekend, and while the salsa itself is very healthy, the chips that we usually put with it are not. What is a good low fat preferably healthy chip? (I have heard of veggie chips and such, just never tried them.)

Replies

• oildemon
    oildemon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to use cucumber slices when I have salsa.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    That is a great idea! Or maybe celery sticks.
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I used to make tortilla chips from lasagne sheets baked in the oven, were delicious.

pre-soak the lasagne sheets then cut them up into triangular pieces, spray them with oil and put spices on them, place them on baking parchment on a tray in the oven and bake for about 15-20 mins - keep an eye on them and when they crisp up they are ready - very delicious and worth a try
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the "veggie" chips really aren't as healthy as they may sound. I would stay with baked somethings for sure. I like the baked multi grain pita chips. They are super crunchy and good with anything. Measure them out and leave the bag somewhere else so you aren't mindlessly eating them. That helps me not to overdue it. Hope this helps!
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Cucumber and celery sounds good too! And you still get the crunch!
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I read somewhere that the "veggie" chips really aren't as healthy as they may sound. I would stay with baked somethings for sure. I like the baked multi grain pita chips. They are super crunchy and good with anything. Measure them out and leave the bag somewhere else so you aren't mindlessly eating them. That helps me not to overdue it. Hope this helps!

Thanks! I will check them out!
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    chop up tortillas (the healthy kind :wink: ) spray them with a lil oil and bake them in the oven for as long as you need them to be crispy. and voila!
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I love baby carrots and salsa. You may also want to make your own tortilla chips as you can control what type of oil, salt as well as the type of tortilla you make them from. I use a wok to make tortilla chips because I need far less oil.
  • bbturbofiregirl
    Options
    Cucumbers or Wasa crackers....
  • Ddubs22
    Ddubs22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Can you share the recipe for the salsa?!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    MMMMmm, I love salsa!! Could you make a taco salad minus the chips...lettuce, beans, veggies, avacado, sour cream, and salsa! :)
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I recently had Mediterranean Snack Food Co - Baked Lentil Chips and thought they were pretty good. They were significantly lower in fat and calories than any corn or potato chips i've found. Also, i like Humbles baked humus chips.

I also have a great very very simple crock pot recipe that calls for a jar of salsa, but after discovering the crazy sodium level in a jar of salsa, i never make it anymore. Since you have such nice, healthy salsa, i'll include it here in case you want to try:

1 can black beans
    1 bag frozen corn
    4 chicken breasts (can be whole, chopped up, or even frozen, but adjust cooking time to suit)
    1 jar salsa

Dump it all in the crock pot and let it cook. Yummy! If you're short on calories for the day, sprinkle some grated cheese (even parmesan is tasty) or a spoonful of low fat sour cream to jazz it up even more.
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    mini breadsticks are only something like 7 calories each, you could have some of those, some carrots, peppers etc. If you've got a selection of things it's more interesting I think
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Ive heard of something called popchips?