Eggs

Options
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times on here already but how many eggs is 'safe' to consume in a week? I'm a little obssesed with them at the moment!!

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    According to this ABC News article you should eat the equivalent cholesterol of one egg yolk per day. So, per week you should have seven eggs.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartDiseaseRisks/story?id=4218454#.T3x3CjHy-8A

I'm not saying this is true or if there is even a limit. Perhaps a guideline?
  • bbturbofiregirl
    Options
    Not to sure about that. However I would switch to egg whites, and you can eat them as much as you like. I will throw in a hard boiled egg one or twice a week, but mostly stick to egg whites.
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    Mmmmm better not have anymore eggs this week then.....ooops!! Thanks for your help!!
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    Not to sure about that. However I would switch to egg whites, and you can eat them as much as you like. I will throw in a hard boiled egg one or twice a week, but mostly stick to egg whites.

I hear so much about egg whites but I live in the UK and I have never seen them in my local supermarket :sad:

Anyone know where to get them from?
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I don't think you should put a cap on it, eat as many as you want. Yes, there is cholesterol in the yolk, but the whites have anti-cholesterol properties, so it essentially evens out, from what I've read over the years.

The yolk has a ton of nutrients.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    How many eggs do you have a week? I have about 6 and have no ill effects from them. You end up losing most of the nutrients when you get rid of the egg yolk. I refuse to just have egg whites because I need the nutrients from the yolk. So long as you don't suffer from high cholesterol, I can't imagine why eating the whole egg is bad for you. If you just want egg whites, you can just separate the egg yourself with your hands instead of buying just egg whites.
  • chadacre
    chadacre Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Waitrose stock them. They are called Two Chicks and usually found near the butter. They are good for a week once opened.
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    Non, separate them from the eggs you have. You can do this by slipping the yolk from shell half to shell half. the whites go into the bowl below and the yolk stays in the shell.

We can get them here in the states near the eggs in a cartons that look a little like cardboard milk cartons too....I don' t know the brands, cuz I always do it like I said above. It's pretty easy to separate.
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    Non, separate them from the eggs you have. You can do this by slipping the yolk from shell half to shell half. the whites go into the bowl below and the yolk stays in the shell.

We can get them here in the states near the eggs in a cartons that look a little like cardboard milk cartons too....I don' t know the brands, cuz I always do it like I said above. It's pretty easy to separate.

I know but then I'm wasting the good bit of the egg :-( at the moment it keeps my cravings at bay to have a couple of boiled eggs as an afternoon snack, then I don't usually get hungry til about 8pm when my other half gets home!!

Thanks guys for all your help, think I'll just continue to eat my 10 per week!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this question has been asked a million times on here already but how many eggs is 'safe' to consume in a week? I'm a little obssesed with them at the moment!!

I usually eat two per day, today I will have three.

Eggs are a brilliant food, don't let anybody tell you any different.
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    are you serious? haha you dont buy egg whites, u separate the yolk from the whole egg!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I hear so much about egg whites but I live in the UK and I have never seen them in my local supermarket :sad:

Anyone know where to get them from?

It is cheaper just to buy whole eggs and separate them yourself. I have heard that 1-2 full eggs/day is fine, but I'm sure getting more would be too.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I eat about 3 eggs a day. I've been eating eggs for as long as I can remember and I've not had any problems at all.

If I were to get rid of egg yolks, I would be getting rid of like half of the protein in my breakfasts from eggs. It would be a waste of money because I would have to find other foods to give me that extra protein.

If I had to keep track of my cholesterol levels, I would have to stop eating egg yolks, certain fish, certain meats, etc. Why should I give up like 3/4 of my protein sources because of cholesterol O.o

You have two different types of cholesterol, good and bad. The bad is known as Low-Density Lipoprotein and the good is known as the High-Density Lipoprotein, or LDL and HDL, respectively. HDL helps remove excess cholesterol from circulation whereas LDL will obviously do the opposite and stick to the walls of your blood vessels. So the only way to lower it, is to increase your HDL levels.

You can increase your HDL levels through exercise, weight loss, Vitamin B3 Supplements, lower trans fatty acids in your diet, increased dietary fiber, more omega 3 fatty acids and an increase of cis-unsaturated fats and cholesterol.

So if you are exercising regularly, eat foods with vitamin b3, intake dietary cholesterol and eat plenty of fish, I think you can eat as many eggs as you want, just don't go overboard in case eggs are expensive lol.
  • lmroessler
    lmroessler Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    New research has shown that the cholesterol in eggs does not equal in increase to cholesterol in our bodies. Eggs are a perfectly safe food - yes, the whole egg - and are actually very good for us, so eat as many as you want!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your own liver makes more cholesterol than what you get eating eggs. Eat 'em and enjoy em.

barring underlying health issues of course that if you have it you know it.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options

what s/he said
  • yocaitygee
    Options
    I eat at least two hard-boiled eggs a day on the weekdays, but I don't eat the yolk!
  • jer_v
    jer_v Posts: 2
    Options
    There isn't a cap. As long as you're not going over your macro targets (fat, protein, carbs) and, thus, not going over your calorie targets, eat as many as you want. Period.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I had a 3 egg mushroom omelette for breakfast today and found it filled me for far longer than my usual porridge and fruit breakfast.

Could you alternate your hard boiled eggs with other afternoon snacks?
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options

what s/he said

Ditto! I eat two a day - the whole egg. Tons of nutrients in the yolk and I refuse to waste good food for no reason.:smile: