Starting over....again

Options
mwitt07
mwitt07 Posts: 77 Member
Hi to everyone out there. I have dieted so many times I wouldn't even venture a guess at how much weight I have gained and lost over the last 10 years. I was always skinny up until I became pregnant with my daughter. She is now 16. I lost most of the baby weight and kept it off but when she was about 5 I gradually got bigger and bigger. I was a single mom for a long time and I turned to food as my stress relief I suppose. I married a wonderful man almost 5 years ago and we have a soon to be 4 year old little boy. I am now at my heaviest of 242 lbs. My healthy weight is 165 lbs. It seems almost impossible to be able to reach that goal. I lost weight with WW but quickly put the weight back on. I tried it again but the weight just didn't seem to come off as quickly as before plus I'm not crazy about the new WW Plus system. Anyway, I got tired of spending the $19.00 per month since I wasn't seeing any results. I'm hoping that by using MFP, I'll be able to stick with it this time for good. I lost 2 lbs this week and am very pleased but it's a long way from the 77 more lbs I need to reach my healthy weight.

I walk on the treadmill here at work for 20 minutes a day and at our walking track near home 30 minutes a day at least 2 times per week. What I would love more than anything is to get fit enough to be able to run. So to those of you who have taken up running, how did you start? It's a task to walk a mile without being winded and I can't even imagine being able to run right now but that is my goal. Any suggestions?

Replies

• docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The heart is like any other muscle. You can gain strength in it by pushing it a little at a time. So on your walks home, try jogging as far as you can or do a 10 second sprint. Then walk a minute and try another sprint. On another walk, jog further or sprint further or more often. You will find that over time, you build up endurance and can work harder. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • mwitt07
    mwitt07 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think the scaries part is getting started.
  • lilredhottamale
    Options
    Yeah...me too...starting over...again. I lost a lot of weight during my divorce 10 years ago and said I'd never gain it back. Wellll...was I wrong!! I can't believe I allowed myself to put it back on, but it seems to creep up on you, doesn't it? I've been on the weight rollercoaster for too long now, and I WANT OFF! I just joined today, on the advice of my 22 year old daughter, who uses MFP to maintain her weight, after losing 20-30 lbs herself. I'm looking forward to regular jogging, which I know I'll crave, after I've been doing it for a while....the hardest part is getting started! So....that's where I'm at. :smile: