Lose 1 or 2 lbs per week?

Options
I'm just a little confused on what goals to set. For me to lose 1 pound per week, it says to consume 1720 Net cals/day. That just seems like A LOT. I suppose it's because I weigh 196, and I have a higher BMR, right? (my BMR is 1642) I just think it's weird the Cals/Day is more than the BMR.

I set my daily activity to Slightly Active, since I'm at home, and doing dishes, laundry, playing, and half sitting too.

What do you think? Should I set it for 2lbs week, and 1220 cals? Or set my own goal, an aim for around 1500?

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Your net calories should be more than your BMR. Your BMR is what you need just for your organs to function properly - not added fuel for your activity. I guess I would say, try it this way for 3 - 4 weeks and see what happens. If it works well - great. If it's not working in that time frame then start tweaking. Good luck!
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    try 1.5 pounds a week, that should be somewhere in the middle :flowerforyou:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I agree with the 1.5 lbs per week - should set you around 1400-1500 ish or so.

It took me a few weeks to figure out what is best for me. I started out with 1200 cals per week and didn't lose much. I changed it to 1400 per week and the pounds started melting off. I think everybody is different so you'll have to see what works for you. It won't hurt you to try more or less cals...just make sure you don't go below 1000 net cals to keep you from going into starvation mode. (you can read more of that here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition )
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I would set your activity level to sedentary and use what ever calorie amount that gives you at one pound of weight loss or put it to 1 1/2 lb at slightly active because it should give you a nice medium and you won't have to worry about over eating on the days you aren't doing as much.