We love Whole Foods But Shop At Wal-Mart. Where do you groc

Options
CalJur
CalJur Posts: 627 Member
Interesting article out today that although we have a love/hate relationship with Wal-Mart, we still shop there for our grocery and it is now the nation's #1 grocer. Admittedly, I too shop more and more at Wal-Mart for foods and supplements such as whey protein, protein bars, vitamins, etc. The reason is simple. PRICE. PRICE. PRICE. Eating healthy is not always cheap. I still prefer traditional grocery stores such as Safeway for meats and vegetables or specialty stores such as Trader Joe's. For those interested here a link to the article:

http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/04/11005788-we-love-whole-foods-but-shop-at-wal-mart

Where do you grocery shop? Why? How does it contribute to healthy food choices or does that even matter?

Replies

• karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    the inexpensive international market that has things i can't find anywhere else
    and
    Trader Joe's .. some things are just cheaper there!
  • TooHott2Trott
    TooHott2Trott Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I normally shop at my local Asian market. The prices are good, they have an awesome variety, and it allows me to try new things. I've started ordering my suppliments online....
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    We havew Wegmans!! I think if I ever move there will have to be a Wegmans in the area LOL! My sister moved away a year ago and will drive a hour to get to a Wegmans. (the closest one to her)
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    I'm guilty of shopping there. And it's always going to be about price with me. My boyfriend and I spend about $400/month on groceries at Wal-Mart and they'll last us that whole month, if not longer, depending on what it is. He drinks Diet Coke like it's going out of style so that's a big bulk of the bill. Just like my laundry supplies (have you seen what a bottle of Tide costs?!) and household items like toilet paper, cleaning supplies, and paper towels.

Food wise, it's also cheaper for us. Everything is cheaper there and it's all the same things we buy at Winn Dixie or Publix. The other day I bought two boxes of Fiber One cereal, 3lbs of cold cuts (Boar Head products), a gallon of milk, a box of oatmeal, some snack bars, yogurt, and bread at Publix, and I spent $120!! It was like 10 things!? It's ridiculous how expensive those groceries stores are :noway:
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I am buying. Although I dislike WM with a passion, I find it easy to shop there for food and personal items (one stop shopping). If I have time to run into the city and hit up WF, I will - but it is expensive to shop there. And I end up buying a ton of other items while there. I also shop at a local Asian store for all my Jamaican goods (yes, many Asian stores carry Carib goods).

I find food shopping to be a dreadful experience most of the time. I wish I was back in DC where we had groceries delivered to the door!! Wah wah wah!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday: One trip to Costco or Sams, one trip to Central Market (like Whole Foods but better), and final trip to Walmart. I get bulk items and some produce at Costco (and all meat at Sams), almost all produce + spices + bulk foods like steel cut oats + seafood + health foods at Central Market, and all the other "stuff" at Walmart (canned foods, crackers, dairy, cereal) because Walmart is the cheapest for the most common food items.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I do love whole foods but I tend to shop at Hy-Vee to get better prices on some of the same "health market" items and organics. Everything else I am not incredibly picky about!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am a flyer shopper. I have 3 grocery stores 2 drug stores and a walmart located in a loose circle around my house. Nothing is more than a few minutes away. Whomever has what I need at the best price gets my business. There are only a few exceptions of favorites that are exclusive to one grocery store. Oh right I also have a costco in that circle for when I'm bulking up the pantry or cleaning supplies.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I REFUSE to shop at Walmart. I have a tiny bit of a grudge against them because my mom worked there several years ago and they were horrible to her. She had seven separate back surgeries that caused her to not be able to do her job as well, so instead of firing her so she could get on Disability, Walmart put her on unpaid leave of absence... for a year and a half. My dad is dead, and my brother and I weren't old enough to drive, let alone get jobs of our own. So, there we were for a year and a half, high and dry with no income other than what my mom got from Social Security from having kids, which most of that went to the rent. So that left us with very little money to buy food, which usually we just had to deal with eating cans of peas because they were $0.40 at the dollar store. Yeah, I have a lot of hate for that company.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    My grocery shopping is split in 3

PriceSmart - Meats, Basic grocery staples (brown sugar, PB, veg & Fruit, anything canned)

Nature's Fare - Specialty items (Coconut milk coffee creamer, Coconut milk yogurt, Gluten Free Soy Free Dairy Free snacks, Chocolate rice milk, Udi's bagels -they are cheaper there)

Walmart - Coffee, Cereal, Anything frozen (my hubby likes Jane's Chicken Strips)

If I can get to the farmers market on the weekend I'll grab my fruit & veg there.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I go to different stores depending on what I'm looking for, but mainly Fred Meyers (Kroger), Trader Joe's, 99 Ranch Market (asian) and Amazon Fresh (I love getting groceries delivered and their produce is top notch)
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I wish we had a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's here but alas if i'm not shopping at the Military Commissary which is very limited but great for the budget then i'm shopping at Winn-Dixie or Wal-Mart and hunting down the bargains. especially for the Lactose free things my son and i need. Wal-Mart has gotten pretty good about carrying those kind of items and here in the Pensacola area that is a rare thing.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I avoid Walmart like the plague... It's always super crowded and usually with super rude people (or maybe I'm just super sensitive in Walmart)... I do go to Target though (just not on Sunday afternoon after church... or Saturday afternoon or really any day in the afternoon) and Safeway.... I would go to Kroger, but the stores around here are always dirty and crowded... :-/
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I go to Walmart also for everything except for fruits which I go to the Best Public Market in the America..lol..Yes price does matter, and there is a difference btw Walmart and Wegmans.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I do almost all of my shopping at King Soopers (Krogers) because it's really close to where I live and convenient on the way home from work. I occasionally get produce at Sunflower Market. The Wal-Mart in my area has terrible produce even though it's cheaper than everywhere else, but I probably should shop there for other things like canned goods and oatmeal...
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I shop at Super Target and Whole Foods. I have banished WALLY WORLD about a year ago.
  • MMarvelous
    Options
    the inexpensive international market that has things i can't find anywhere else
    and
    Trader Joe's .. some things are just cheaper there!

I always forget about the international market and the farmers market which should be open.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I coupon and price match for our groceries. I do most of my shopping at Dillons (Kroger) and price match other stores sales at Wal Mart. I hit Hy Vee occasionally because their store brand is very good and they have a great produce dept. I got Butterball Turkey Bacon (my hubs loves it) for $1 a pkg and Kraft blue box Mac and Cheese for .79 a box. Good stock up prices for me!
  • MMarvelous
    Options
    Whole Foods does have coupons http://wholefoodsmarket.com/coupons/
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    for meats and produce normally publix but for everything else normally wal-mart