Has anyone tried Intermittent Fasting??

Options
13»

Replies

• Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I already do this technically because m-f I only have a protein shake first thing in the morning and don't eat again until after work at 6. As long as I follow calories in vs.out I have been doing great. I didn't read any articles but only followed the basics of deficit and macros.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried intermittent cutting off of major limb?

What does this even mean?

I am trying to figure this one out!
    Don't ...probably put us in the same category of juicing, HCG and other fad

It means she doesn't know what IF is,and can't be bothered to express an informed opinion so she likens an intermittent fast to cutting off a limb. The thing is, I eat my food, but take time to fast as well. If I cut off a limb, well, its gone. I was waiting for this sort of reply, glad I was not disappointed.

You learn something new each day! :D
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Ouch...that one hurt!...we're totally routed...your battle is won...you can go troll somewhere else now.
    I've been doing it for a year now. it totally transformed me. I'm a lot more defined and actually gained muscle size. I even find that I have more energy when working out fasted.

I started off with one 36 hours fast but switched to two 24 hour fasts per week. I love it. I just have to make sure I eat enough on my non fasted days. I usually go like 300-500 cals over what MFP says to make up for the fast days.

I also have one cheat day per week. I think more people should seriously give it a try. It also really helps you realize the difference between actual hunger and bored snacking.

On what days do you usually do your fasts? Do work out on those days? Do a lighter workout?

I started out by just fasting on sundays and wednesdays which are my off days. But I realized that I actually work out well fasted. Everyone is different though. One of the fasted days I only do cardio. The other fasted day I do heavy strength training (i'm doing the 5 3 1 program) and I feel fine.

When I was doing ESE, I did it Mon/Wed/Fri...the same days as my workouts. I found out I was stronger, more motivated, and had more energy if I worked out fasted (I didn't eat till around 7:30pm). I strength train only...no cardio. On Tues/Thurs...I did something of a form of Leangains, where I only ate between 4:30 and 8:30pm or so. Weekends were free days...I ate when I pleased, as much as I pleased, what I pleased, and didn't worry about it at all.

Now I'm doing a looser form of Leangains I suppose. That's the beauty of it though...it's extremely flexible, and can be adapted to most any lifestyle.
  • carrollel
    carrollel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ok, so just let m eknow if i understand this correctly....i should still eat the recommended calores MFP suggests (1200) plus you suggested adding 500 calories to that (1700) then 2 times per week fast for 24 hr periods and then on top of that you usually give yourself one cheat day?

i dont think i undetsand that correctly cuz the math doesnt make sense this way.ahhh wait...think i got it now, eat 1200 calories 3 days out of the week, 1700 two days out of the week (before fasting days) then thatll make sense that ill be oabout 17% less caloric intake for the week opposed to the daily 1200....

i need to read more articles that were posted to see if theres a way to "ease" into this or during which week will my hunger pains subside, etc.

Thanks for eveyrones responses!! its makes me more excited to try and forgive me that i didnt even notice the IF group. im now a member so hopefully ill learn much more now.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to adjust, it's like anything, just give it some time. I was hungry and irritable for the first ten days, but suddenly I felt really calm and good... do your reading, you will find out lots. Look up Precision Nutrition, he's got a pretty good overview of a few of them. And look up Fast 5, it's a free ebook. Good luck, feel free to ask questions... and join the IF group too... though we don't eat often, we don't bite!!
  • carrollel
    carrollel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    lol :D thanks, im inspired :)
  • acrego
    acrego Posts: 84 Member
    Options

What does this even mean?

I am trying to figure this one out!
    Don't ...probably put us in the same category of juicing, HCG and other fad

I took it as a joke... I also have a very dry sense of humor, it doesn't always come across well in writing! :ohwell:
  • giveMEbeauty
    Options
    ????
    If u stop eating at 10pm at night and don't eat til 12 midday the following day us this intermittent fasting?
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yes and my weight is still going down.
  • I love 'IF' I really did lose weight quick/steadily, I either give myself a 6 hour eating window (if I'm at a social function) or usually stick with a 4 hour eating window and eat my 1200 calories within that time frame post work out, then let the 20 or 18 hours pass by, you do regain a sense of what actual hunger is. Also I find that kind of what I eat (if I eat a little dirty) with my 1200 calories or even if I got up to 1500 it doesn't really effect the progress I've managed to get.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Since April this year and I agree it's no magic bullet.... what ACG said on page 1.