Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to stop from overeating

I know it prolly just sounds sad...but really..I think that is one of the main problems I have..I cant seem to control myself...I eat when im depressed as well, which is often.

I dont understand what my body needs me to do to control myself..its almost liek I dont have the mindset for it..

Replies

• crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    I was a big freaking over eater!!! But one day, I just said no. I quit carrying my wallet and debit card with me as well, so of I was out, I couldn't eat. I also started giving any sweets and fatty foods away.

And now, I eat properly. Yah, I have a treat when I want, but I PLAN for it.

Eventually, your stomach will adjust and you will feel full with less food :)
  • hannahbanana0480
    hannahbanana0480 Posts: 46 Member
    It is a total mental thing. You just have to decide. It has nothing to do with what your body wants, it's what your mind wants.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Self control and discipline must be learned. If you don't have the right mindset, you're not going to be able to control your eating. Planning your meals beforehand would probably help a bit. Find something you enjoy doing in place of eating.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    I wish I knew. I stopped drinking and stopped using snuff, but food is the one thing that is controlling me. I guess I have issues.
  • petes287
    petes287 Posts: 11 Member
    It is a total mental thing. You just have to decide.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Portion out any snack food into single serving bags. Weigh or measure everything. Best investments you can make is a food scale, measuring cups and measuring spoons.

Get enough to eat! Fill up on high fiber and high protein foods earlier in the day to minimize cravings later. It does wonders to help you maintain control. Starving yourself will only make the tendency to overeat worse!

Break away from emotional eating. Stop yourself before you eat and ask, am I really hungry or am I looking for something else to alleviate other symptoms? Eating due to depression is a major problem for me. It's why I keep gaining weight back. It's a very hard thing to break. Emotions have to be felt to be dealt with. Eating will never help them, and you'll never be satisfied.

Start out by always leaving 1 bite of food on your plate. No matter how much you want it. Leave it behind. It will help you break the emotional ties to food, and will help you when you start eating smaller portions. You'll learn to be satisfied with less over time. It's a life-long project! But it can be done!
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    I am a big eater when I get bored. Now, I try to keep myself really busy doing anything and everything I can around the house. Usually that helps burn calories, cleaning, raking the lawn, taking the dog for a walk, then I don't realize that I am craving something I shouldn't be eating.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Understand how your body works. When you feel hunger and/or have cravings, it's your body's signal that it is lacking nutrition it needs for fuel. By eating the right foods - whole, natural foods, and getting a variety of colors in your diet, you fuel your body with the nutrients it needs and hunger or cravings go away.

Fuel your body with junk food, empty calories or food the is lacking decent nutrition - think fast food, prepackaged/preprocessed foods, and your body doesn't get what it needs even tho your stomach is full so it keeps sending the signal that you're hungry.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    I have the same problem as you. Its all in the mind, and how bad you want it, eat when hungry or have several small meals with lots of water and when your tempted to eat something bad , clean or stay busy. If you really feel you are hungry eat veggies or fruit , I know it is hard. You will get used to it.
  • dlaw216
    dlaw216 Posts: 14
    If snuff is anything like smoking your appetite will raise when you quit, mine did after I quit smoking two years ago (after smoking for 18), it is part of the reason I gained the weight I did. The other part was just being stupid with what I ate.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    If snuff is anything like smoking your appetite will raise when you quit, mine did after I quit smoking two years ago (after smoking for 18), it is part of the reason I gained the weight I did. The other part was just being stupid with what I ate.
    I used shuff for 20 years, and stopped 20 years ago.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    What works for one may not work for another. I firmly believe it comes down to a personal conviction or revelation to CHANGE. There isn't a magic trick or switch to make your bad habits disappear.

I got fed up with my bad habits and had enough. I was motivated and convinced that I needed to change. I stopped all my drinking, and that eliminated a LOT of overeating and late-night snacking. Drinking made me HUNGRY.

I also signed up for an online meal and recipe planner. I was able to cook meals with specific portions and that has helped me practice healthy portion control. It works like a charm for me, but that doesn't mean it will work for everyone else.

I got my husband on board with me. He eats what I eat (it's good stuff anyway), he knows my struggles, and he helps me make wiser decisions because I want him to. I asked for his help.

I motivate myself with short-term goals and rewards for progress.

I keep bad foods out of my house, for the most part. I don't believe in an "all-or-nothing" mentality. I fail when I eliminate everything I love to eat.

Like crazytreelady said: It's true! Eventually you will adjust and adapt and feel full with smaller portions.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    what everyone said!!! But when it's a trigger food for me ( like pizza!!!) What works for me is eating some broccoli before the pizza comes so that I can still enjoy the pizza, but eat about half of what I would before (and the broc is healthy, filling and like 30 calories!!)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    I have an article on this topic from Time, I'll post it here when I find it.

Found it! I hope this helps some!

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/19/5-tips-to-overcome-emotional-eating/#emotional-eating
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    If you are using food to cope with feelings of depression, it might not be as simple as just stopping. I don't know anything about you or your situation but sometimes people will use food to self medicate. It can sometimes be helpful for some people to think about seeing a counselor.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    I'm having this problem RIGHT NOW, as I speak. I'm at work so I don't have a lot of options to eat, besides...I just ate my lunch.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Drink alot of water. It will give you that full feeling. If you are an emotional eater try stepping outside when you get the urge to
    binge. Confront it with a physical activity and in time as the inches come off, your confidence will build and hopefully eliminate that depression. Just a suggestion so good luck!
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    I have the same problem, an emotional eater. The day after my binge is over, I get back to my diet...I feel like sometimes my body needs the junk to keep me sane! Most of the time I am good, but there are days where I'll have 3 rice krispie treats in a row and/or Cheetos and/or Domino's Brooklyn Style pizza....it's all mental for me! You just gotta get right back on it!!
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Put up a sign on the fridge or the cabinet asking if you are really hungry or if you are just bored etc. Just a lil note to yourself because you don't want to overeat and you know it. In my experience, when you realize that you are doing something then you can change it. You read that note over and over, you will know something is up. Also, you could also chew some gum or eat a sucker. I'd say gum because it lasts longer.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Eat more protein (0.5 gram per pound of weight) and fiber. Both have you feel full, and eat them at every meal.

Cut back on the simple carbs, your body absorbs them quickly and you get hungry again.