Recovery drink?

Options
kyunda
kyunda Posts: 340 Member
What type of recovery drink are you using? I've started lifting weights and have read a couple of places that you should have a recovery formula after your workouts so just want to get an idea of what others are drinking.

What do you have have before your workouts (if you workout first thing in the morning)?

Thanks!

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    A lot of people swear by chocolate milk. Mine is whiskey, but I wouldn't say that's really a good option at all, it's just my reqard.
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lol to the whiskey. I like a good ol protein drink..but one with amino acids in it or a 'recovery' property. Right now I drink Dymatize Elite XT in Banana Nut :smile:
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was told not to take your Protein shake right after a hard workout, that it is not the proper time and should be taken later. And that taking that glass of chocolate milk is perfect to take after a hard workout, all with in an hour after finishing. Many Olympic athletes have been using chocolate milk for years. Plus it is cheap!!
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I was told not to take your Protein shake right after a hard workout, that it is not the proper time and should be taken later. And that taking that glass of chocolate milk is perfect to take after a hard workout, all with in an hour after finishing. Many Olympic athletes have been using chocolate milk for years. Plus it is cheap!!

dont know who told you about the timing but not true. within 30 min of a workout is the best time to get a protein shake becuase it absorbs quickly in the body and your muscles are broken down after the workout.. chocolate milk is good too, becuase it has proetin and carbs and absorbs quickly , thats what your body needs after a workout,

that said, i use Scivation Xtend during my workout and Optimum Hydrobuilder right after , got everything you need
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cytosports Monster Milk made with a cup of skim milk and 3/4 cup of pasteurized egg whites.
  • kyunda
    Options
    Lol to the whiskey. I like a good ol protein drink..but one with amino acids in it or a 'recovery' property. Right now I drink Dymatize Elite XT in Banana Nut :smile:

yumm that sounds good!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I second the chocolate milk. It has the necessary protein and some extra carbs for your body to start rebuilding. Anything with protein will help you body rebuild.
  • kyunda
    Options
    thanks i guess there is no need for expensive drinks then!
  • spoulsen82
    spoulsen82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    choc milk... but i recently realized how much added sugar choc milk has (thanks to MFP). i don't really like the fake sugar thing so much anymore.

so maybe some plain milk and fruit? should still get the right combo of sugar and protein, right? thoughts?
  • spoulsen82
    spoulsen82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thanks i guess there is no need for expensive drinks then!

definitely agree with this!