Seared Sea Scallops with Lemongrass Sauce and Basil, Mint, C

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Seared Sea Scallops With Lemongrass Sauce and Basil, Mint and Cilantro Salad
(SELF MAGAZINE)

From the July 2008 Issue

Scallops are rich in iodine, essential to a healthy thyroid and metabolism.

Serves 8

INGREDIENTS
Sauce

* 2 teaspoons canola oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 6 stalks lemongrass, dry leaves removed, stems pounded; cut into 3-inch lengths
* 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 3 red Thai bird chiles, finely chopped (found in grocery stores' Asian section)
* 2 cups dry white wine
* 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, plus juice

Salad

* 1/2 cup Thai basil
* 1/2 cup fresh mint
* 1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
* juice from 1/2 lime
* 2 teaspoons canola oil

Scallops

* 24 jumbo sea scallops
* 1 tablespoon canola oil

PREPARATION

Heat oil in a large, nonstick pan over low heat. Cook onion with a pinch of salt until translucent, about 12 minutes. Stir in lemongrass, garlic and chiles. Add wine. Raise heat to high, then simmer 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice; break apart tomatoes. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Force sauce through a colander and discard solids. Season with salt and pepper.

Salad:
Toss all ingredients in a bowl; season with salt and pepper.

Scallops:
Season with salt and pepper. Heat a large nonstick pan over high heat 1 minute; add oil. Cook 8 scallops 1 minute; reduce heat to medium-high; cook undisturbed until golden, about 4 minutes. Turn scallops over; cook 3 minutes more. Remove from heat. Repeat twice. Divide scallops and sauce among 8 bowls and top with salad.

The skinny

295 calories per serving, 5.8 g fat (0.6 g saturated), 17.1 g carbs, 2.6 g fiber, 33.2 g protein

Replies

• hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    That sounds great! You could add some shrimp in there as well - I love eating the fresh herbs in SE Asia - it adds so much flavor to everything.:glasses:
  • onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, scallops. I love scallops. What a wonderful recipe, thanx for sharing. One can never have to many recipes. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, scallops. I love scallops. What a wonderful recipe, thanx for sharing. One can never have to many recipes. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    You're welcome! This type of food looks so good to me this time of year!! :tongue:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: