Will protein shakes accelerate weight loss, increase metabol

Options
I have been working out consistently and logging my calories for about 3 weeks now and have been researching various protein shakes. I would love to try Shakeology, but I cannnot afford it. I have a couple others in mind that have received great reviews and can be purchased at walmart for less than $20. What I am wondering is, if I drank a shake once a day (maybe as a meal replacement for lunch) would it aid in helping me lose weight, gain muscle and accelerate my metabolism? I know that I must continue to work out and watch my calories while eating a protein-rich diet. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As your food diary is locked it's hard to say if you'd derive any benefit from the increased protein.

My personal opinion is that unless you need the extra protein the best alternative is always just eating well (and you can always eat a little more lean protein without worrying about going over on calories). The sakes, in and of themselves, are just another form of nutrition. Your ticker shows 2lbs to go, I wouldn't waste the money, just focus on eating well and continuing to workout, you'll be hitting maintenance soon and will probably start to see gains in lean muscle mass.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I just updated my ticker. I have 7lbs to go. I don't feel comfortable yet making my diary public because I was eating a lot of fast food and carbs. In a few weeks I am going to make it public.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, if you replace a 500 calorie cheeseburger with a 200 calorie protein shake, you will lose weight. But if you are replacing a 200 calorie bowl of cereal with a 200 calorie shake, it probably won't make a difference.
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    Protein shakes by themselves will not make you lose weight, gain muscle, or boost metabolism. It's all the other pieces combined that will get you those three things. Don't buy into the weight lost shake marketing. I have a hard time eating breakfast, so I go with a 14 oz Muscle Milk(220 calories) and Apple slices.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, if you replace a 500 calorie cheeseburger with a 200 calorie protein shake, you will lose weight. But if you are replacing a 200 calorie bowl of cereal with a 200 calorie shake, it probably won't make a difference.

This
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What I am wondering is, if I drank a shake once a day (maybe as a meal replacement for lunch) would it aid in helping me lose weight, gain muscle and accelerate my metabolism?

Nope. It's no different than eating, say, chicken breast once a day.
  • csricci
    csricci Posts: 6
    Options
    I am wondering what kind of working out you are doing and what your goals are - I use a protein/meal replacement shake daily but I am looking to build muscle and I do a lot of weight training. I find it's an easy solution a lot of times as a meal replacement as well because I have a crazy schedule, but if you are not weight training I'm not sure you need the extra protein.

You may already be getting enough for what you do. Although you said you were eating a lot of carbs so maybe just cleaning up your diet a little - getting rid of the fast food and bringing more balance btw carbs and protein intake is all you need to do.

I think there is this idea out there that we need way more protein than we actually do - even with weight lifting we don't need these huge extreme amounts. We can only digest so much at one time, the rest gets wasted anyway. I try to eat several small meals a day that have a decent amount of protein and that seems to work well for me. Since your diet is not public it's hard to say what you could or should change up. I don't believe protein in and of itself will increase metabolism or accelerate weight loss.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    nope, calories are calories
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am wondering what kind of working out you are doing and what your goals are - I use a protein/meal replacement shake daily but I am looking to build muscle and I do a lot of weight training. I find it's an easy solution a lot of times as a meal replacement as well because I have a crazy schedule, but if you are not weight training I'm not sure you need the extra protein.

You may already be getting enough for what you do. Although you said you were eating a lot of carbs so maybe just cleaning up your diet a little - getting rid of the fast food and bringing more balance btw carbs and protein intake is all you need to do.

I think there is this idea out there that we need way more protein than we actually do - even with weight lifting we don't need these huge extreme amounts. We can only digest so much at one time, the rest gets wasted anyway. I try to eat several small meals a day that have a decent amount of protein and that seems to work well for me. Since your diet is not public it's hard to say what you could or should change up. I don't believe protein in and of itself will increase metabolism or accelerate weight loss.

This!
  • Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options
    I heard that muscles need protein to repair, so you should drink a protein shake after you do strength training as it get through your body quicker than protein in food...

Don't know for sure, but it's what I've heard a lot of people saying :)
  • wiscyproblems
    Options
    It depends on the amount of protein that you're already getting in your diet. There was a very interesting study that just came out in about February in which three groups of people were each fed 1000 calories a day over their maintenance calorie budget. One group was very low protein and high in carbohydrates and the second group received a medium amount of protein and carbs, and the third group received a large amount of protein and few carbs. At the end of the study all of the subjects had gained weight (as is expected from a daily 1000 calorie overage) but the groups consuming medium and high amounts of protein gained more weight. When they looked at the body compositions of the subjects those in the high carb low protein group had gained fat and actually lost lean muscle, however both the medium protein and high protein groups gained significantly more lean muscle. Its actually a fascinating and well-executed experiment, and it's made me rethink my the composition of the calories I eat! I eat protein shakes every day now to try and reach a higher amount of protein in my diet and I've noticed improvements :)

Here's the study in case any one cares enough to read it.

http://www.foodpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/ProteinWeight.pdf
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    What I am wondering is, if I drank a shake once a day (maybe as a meal replacement for lunch) would it aid in helping me lose weight, gain muscle and accelerate my metabolism?

Nope. Protein (regardless of the form it comes in) will not affect your metabolism, one way or another. Nor is it an effective weight loss tool for its sake alone. Protein is just protein. Protein will add needed amino acids to your diet and can help you feel more full, since protein is highly satiating, and that might make it easier for you to lose weight if it keeps you from cheating on your diet. Otherwise, protein shakes are simply a convenience. Some are fortified with vitamins and minerals, which is nice. For those trying for a higher protein diet, they make it a little bit easier to hit that "macro". Beyond that, there is no real advantage to drinking or not drinking a protein shake.

Regarding muscle gain specifically... you really can't accomplish that very well on a calorie deficit. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight, so you are just not going to see a substantial muscle gain on a diet. BUT protein can help you retain the muscle you already have, provided you are exercising.

Protein is not magic though. Your body will use the protein it needs to repair your muscle tissue and the worn-out proteins in your body. Once that's been accomplished, you'll convert the surplus protein to energy.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Nope. It's no different than eating, say, chicken breast once a day.

^^^This.
    chew your food.
  • nateraemom
    Options
    I use protein shakes as meal replacements for 1-2 meals per day. The kind I use have more nutrition than a lot of people eat with their regular meals. It is working very well for me. It does greatly depend though on the protein shake you are using. Some are better than others. Also, some are designed to be used as a supplement and others are designed as a replacement. For me, its a great meal on the go and I can tell a HUGE difference in my day when I have not had my shake.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    Thanks for all of your feedback. I think I will just stick with eating healthy food. I do have this awesome protein shake mix that I was using after workouts. It's Myofusion Peanutbutter and Chocolate. IT's only 150 calories and tasts delicious. I might drink it after workouts a few days a week when I find I am not reaching my net calorie goal of 1200.
  • thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was hoping the answer was yes :(
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I was hoping the answer was yes :(

I'd much prefer real, healthy food compared to just a shake. It's definitely more satisfying :)
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Protein powder wiill not accelerate weightloss however it will help your muscles get the nutrients they need to become leaner. So it still is a goo way to incorperate at least 2 a day. I have 2 a day as my 2/3 snacks for the day.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yes protein will help you burn more fat. Protein is the hottest buring food source there is and the more protein you eat the hotter and for a longer period of time your metabolism will burn fat.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out, yes. BUT, you're better off eating 500 calories worth of protein than it is to eat 500 calories of carbs. Why? Blood sugar and insulin spikes. So what? It's the difference between your body burning the fuel you ate or drank versus stored fat. IMO, based on my personal results.