Low carb recipes

Options
I'm looking for low carb/ low sugar recipes. I'm tired of eating the same things over and over again. Any suggestions?

Replies

• meggers127
    Options
    How low carb are you thinking? I'm on a low carb diet (50-75g/day). I keep my breakfast and lunch low and then have more for dinner. Oh and what are you eating over and over? I don't want to suggest something you're already eating :)
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Im eating eggs every morning for breakfast. For lunch I have tuna or ground turkey patty with a green vegetable (broccoli, green beans, or salad) and the same for supper. I'm trying to go without pasta, bread, white flour, rice, etc. Thanks. :)
  • sharonwitten
    Options
    I am also on a low carb diet. I find that lunch is the hardest. There is not much out there that doesn't take up a lot of time to prepare. If any one has any suggestions please post.
  • kohn1
    kohn1 Posts: 2
    Options
    This multi-ingredient soup recipe requires a little pre-prep, but after that it's pretty much throwing things together and 2-3 minutes to heat. Prepared items: finely shredded head of nappa cabbage and some other dark leafy greens (bok choy, kale), a 1/4 cup of diced tomatoes and any other low-carb items like a 1/4 cup of chick peas or lentils, 1/4 cup chopped squash (spaghetti squash is wonderful) onion, garlic, or anything else that you'd like to have in your soup. When you pack the greens in, it might seem like a lot, but they soon soften and reduce.

Start with bringing two cups of chicken or beef broth to a boil and then pack in a bunch of these prepared items. You can add hot sauce or a teaspoon of tahini or pureed pumpkin.

Eat it with a chinese porcelain spoon and it feels downright exotic. I've added shrimp or tofu chunks and a drizzle of sesame oil. All kinds of variations are possible and you can bring all the dry ingredients in a tupperware type bowl, add the water and put it into the microwave. Very filling.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Theres a Lowcarb MFP group. Seen it? It has tons of good recipies :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
  • meggers127
    Options
    I got sick of eggs the first two days of my diet...I've actually been drinking protein shakes for breakfast or cottage cheese, which isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Lunch is always different for me. I don't know where you live, but we have Albertson's here and they make the BEST chicken caesar salad in the deli section. I either get a 1/2lb or a pound depending on how hungry I am. They keep the croutons off to the side, so I don't have to have them if I'm saving my carbs. Seriously, I could eat that salad all the time. I also am not the person to make food. Lean Cuisine makes these garlic chicken spring rolls, which I am eating at this very moment and they are delicious! 22 carbs for 3 rolls and there's two servings in a box.

I know you're trying to go without bread, but I found some low carb wheat bread from Sara Lee. The slices are smaller than normal bread but I don't really mind. I think its only 14g of carbs for two slices. So I'll usually make a turkey and cheese sandwich that's much lower in carbs! I love that bread and it doesn't taste like cardboard or anything.

Dinner is tough. My mom is boring and makes the same thing a lot. She usually cuts up chicken breasts and cooks them in a pan with some butter and garlic. Butter actually doesn't have carbs, so we can still cook with it. But it still has calories, fat, etc. so it would be better to use less. Last night we had shrimp for dinner. Garlic and butter again in the pan. Had a salad with that. So really just simple things like that. When it's nice enough to barbeque, we like to throw veggies on the grill. Yum! My favorites are mushrooms and zucchini. Keep the mushrooms whole and slice the zucchini. And sprinkle your favorite seasoning on them!

One more. In case you need a sweet treat, there are low carb ice cream bars, that taste exactly like normal ones. They're like 6g of carbs. It's amazing what you can find! Also theres low carb plain old vanilla ice cream, maybe some other flavors, thats really low too. We also got hershey's sugar free chocolate syrup, which is a minimal amount of carbs. It's much bitter than the normal chocolate sauce, but I'm okay with it. I hope this helps and sorry it's so long!
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for low carb/ low sugar recipes. I'm tired of eating the same things over and over again. Any suggestions?
    Try this. Pintrist has lots of low carb ideas aside from this one.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options

Duh.... forgot to put the link. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options

Duh.... forgot to put the link. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
    I'm doing the Atkins induction plan for now. 20 grams or less a day. I love the low carb. I don't worry about the calories.
  • thin4good
    Options
    I need more low carb recipes too. I have a few good ones though. I like to make meat roll -ups. I get deli-type sliced meat (be sure to check the fat content) add broccoli slaw, tomatoes, slice of avacado and bell bepper, bruchetta or honey mustard to flavor. I've also made leaf lettuce rollups- with canned tuna or chicken or crab salad. I also like to eat turkey jerky with raw veggies like cucumbers, celery, green beans and hummus. I have a similar recipe to kohn1. steam shredded cabbage/greens and carrots. add ground turkey, beef boullion and a can of stewed tomatoes-you can get in italian and mexican flavors to change things up. Its very low in calories and freezes well. good luck
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!! I have a pinterest account so I will look those up too. All of these sound yummy, definitely some variety. Thanks! :)
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!! I have a pinterest account so I will look those up too. All of these sound yummy, definitely some variety. Thanks! :)
    I'm low carbing too. Keeping mine in Atkins induction range of 20 or less a day. Friend me if you like.
  • DianaDoughty
    Options
    Have you ever made bread with flaxseed meal? I have made it sweet and savory depending on what I was using it for. This site has some amazing recipes...try the peanut butter cookies!:happy:
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/recipes/u/lowcarbrecipes.htm#s3