Jogging Tips

My 12 yr old son would like to start jogging to build stamina. I would appreciate any tips, ideas, links and stretches on how to start a jogging program for the 2 of us to do together.

Replies

• Music, music music! That's one thing I always made sure of, was to have inspiring songs, and sometimes aggressive songs (like rock or even techno! ) to help me concentrate! Another was to keep my mind on the goal, and what I wanted to accomplish. One more thing I would do, was to pick a spot in the road or track I was using and tell myself 'I just need to make it to that spot/up that hill, then I can take a break', and when I'd reach that spot, if I wasn't pooped, I'd give myself another short goal to reach, and so on until I couldn't go any more! Eventually I gave myself further and further goals until I jogged the whole thing without stopping :) Hope it helps!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Couch 2 5k, a terrific program for beginners! Helps build up stamina! I'm using it now (though it did take me a lot longer) and I can now jog over 20 minutes straight! Just google it! I find the cool running website has the best program (for free)!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Couch 2 5k, a terrific program for beginners! Helps build up stamina! I'm using it now (though it did take me a lot longer) and I can now jog over 20 minutes straight! Just google it! I find the cool running website has the best program (for free)!

Yes this ^^^ A really good program for beginners and free. You can't beat free.
  • v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Agreed C25K is fantastic! I've finished and am now running for hour long stretches at a time. I should mention when I started, I had never run a day in my life.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    C25k (couch to 5k). That's how I got start 4 years ago.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    My 10yr old daughter is who actually got me into running....she was in a run club at school and wanted someone to "practice" with. :) I, of course, went on a "google fest"...she just asked me to sign us up for a 5k (it benefits charity). My best advice is to start out slow, and if you have to walk run walk run, thats okay! I love running with my daughter, leaves for some good quality time and laughs (we almost ran into a skunk one time).
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Make sure you don't go too far too fast. Music is nice but not necessarily safe depending on where you will be jogging at. It is also very helpful to pick a target and say "Let's jog to _____ and then we can walk", and then "Let's walk to ____ and then we can jog". Good luck and have fun :smile:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    I LOVE C25K! I never in my life thought I would be a "runner" but I get closer every time I run.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    The most important part is to call it a "Fun Run," and to have that mindset when you set out!

The reason I've been able to have a sustainable relationship with jogging is that I know that when it's no longer fun, it's not going to be worth it for me to go out there day after day. If some days you want to take it a little easier, slow your pace. The better your relationship with jogging, the more you'll like it, the more you'll run, and the stronger you'll get (which makes it even MORE fun)!
  • lucasgirl
    lucasgirl Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks everyone! I think we are going to try out the couch 2 5k.