Gait Analysis - Running

Have you ever had a gait analysis to figure out which running shoes you need?

What does it entail? I'm not sure what to prepare for when I go in. Do I need to be prepared to run?

Also, if you had one, did it help?

Replies

• ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    I have. It is really simple and only takes a few minutes. They set you up on a treadmill, let you set the speed and then record you running for a munite or two. Then they play it back in slow motion and explain your gait. Then they show you shoes that are best for your specific gait.
  • spinitoff
    spinitoff Posts: 33
    Is this being done at a running store or at a sports clinic? If the former, you're going to be told the following: "As you can see here, you are over-pronating. You would probably be best served by these $100 motion-control shoes." If the latter, you'll probably hear a lot about hip positioning, overstriding, and upper body posture (just based on common running form issues). Either way, you should be ready to run for a short while (~2-5min) at the running store and longer at the sports clinic. You don't need to come decked out in a full workout gear, but something you can run in comfortably would be wise! :smile:
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    I have. It is really simple and only takes a few minutes. They set you up on a treadmill, let you set the speed and then record you running for a munite or two. Then they play it back in slow motion and explain your gait. Then they show you shoes that are best for your specific gait.

Where do they do this?
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    ah..gait analysis - true gait analysis takes more like 30 min or so and you'll most likely have to pay additional for it.

There will be some evaluation of how you run and then it is trial and error on getting you in the proper shoe / insert. Yes, be prepared to run. I normally get in about a half mile