Can't get high heartrate

Options
Hey, I have used heart rate monitors off and on, usually I stop when they break somehow, but I recently purchased a polar FT7 and for some reason I can't get my heart rate to go over 150bpm no matter how hard I work. I'm doing the second month of insanity and I did see 160bpm for a brief second when I was skipping breaks and pushing past my max but it went back down so quickly even when I continued. I feel like I'm not working hard enough with that number so I attempt to push harder to get it up there but I just can't go any harder, I'm moving as fast as I can go. My base heart rate is around 55bpm and moderate workout stays around 120 - 135bpm until I rest then it zips back down to 90bpm right away.

Is this normal? Should I be happy with this heart rate or is there something I can do to increase it?

Thank you for your opinions :)

Replies

• hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this as well. I have trouble getting my heart rate up, even though I work out at high intensities. My RHR is 60 bpm.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My BF has the exact same issue! He just has a wicked low resting rate and great endurance. So he has to work way harder than I do to get his heart rate up. Some of my meds also elevated my heart rate, so I max out too easily. Working on that issue...

But yeah, it's not unheard of to have trouble getting your heart rate up! Especially if you're more physically fit. It's a good thing! Means you have a strong heart!

Edit - My BF's RHR is around 60 as well.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and there are some days I just cannot get my heart rate up there and other days that I am maxed out. I have noticed that if I work out within a few hours of waking I can get it to max out whereas if I work out after work, i'm lucky to hit 161. No answer as to why you aren't maxing out but maybe push harder?
  • ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    hI

That heart rate seems low for your age and doing the Max Insanity Workouts. In my opinion, that means either you are super fit or there is some problem with your HRM (some calibration issue probably) I am 38 and I finished Insanity 3 days ago and during the 2nd month I was averaging about 140 hbmp and peaking around 162.

During my final fit test my highest was 220, I was so scared when I saw that, I thought I was dead and floating over my room seeing my dead body on the floor LOL. But in that final test I gave all my energy and stamina I had left.

Try moving your chest strap or tighten it, or recalibrating your HRM. If that does not work, congratulations, you are super fit :D
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Your max heartrate could be lower than average. If that is the case it is neither good nor bad. It is simply genetic.

Google max heart rate test and do one of those to find out. To get valid results you have to be fully rested before you do the test because fatigue from previous workouts will prevent you from working hard enough, particularly if you are in good shape.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try increasing resistance? Max out the incline or whatever resistance it's using. If you're not using a machine, try running faster. If you're feeling really beat at 160 then you should probably just let it be then.
  • Luc245
    Luc245 Posts: 73
    Options
    Thank you! I will take that advise and do one of those tests. I have tried different positions for my chest strap but they all give me the same information and it's tight enough that it doesn't fall off when I jump but it doesn't hurt to wear.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Why do you want such a high heart rate?