Still not enough protein!!!!??

Options
Please take a look at my diary for today and tell me how the hell i can get some more protein in? Argh, I am SO full!! I didn't get up till late so to be fair i could have gotten in some protein at breakfast. I have some cashew nuts.. will they be any good?

I don't eat meat.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    For the kind of protein you need, I would go with a protein shake. They make soy protein shakes.
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Definitely protein shake is your best best.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Tofu, peas/beans? Just off the top of my head
  • LeniceH
    LeniceH Posts: 17
    Options
    I agree, a protein shake is a great way to get the protein.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, peanut butter, whey?

I love makin protein smoothies as dessert. Although I think 75grams of protein is already more than the average person. Do what works best for you!
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I've had a protein shake already! Along with chickpeas, peanut butter, houmous, milk, veg, and tofu...
  • missfancy1980
    Options

I love makin protein smoothies as dessert. Although I think 75grams of protein is already more than the average person. Do what works best for you!

Really? How do you find out how much you need?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Well, you can eat the almonds, but you won't make it to 100g.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

According to US & Canadian Dietary Reference Intake guidelines, women aged 19–70 need to consume 46 grams of protein per day, while men aged 19–70 need to consume 56 grams of protein per day to avoid a deficiency.[19] The American and Canadian guidelines recommend a daily protein dietary allowance, measured as intake per kilogram body weight, is 0.8 g/kg.[15] However, this recommendation is based on structural requirements, but disregards use of protein for energy metabolism.[15] This requirement is for a normal sedentary person.[17]

Although I think it all depends on what works best for you :)
  • spadina86
    Options
    Have a couple of eggs, a glass of milk, some low fat cottage cheese, laughing cow cheese triangles are a great wee source of protein - 5g and only 25 calories...there's loads of options...you seriously shouldn't skip breakfast. You've missed an opportunity for some protein and the chance to kick start your metabolism today :)
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    After looking at it, you have a very high protein goal for the day. Is there a reason for that? Do you do a lot of weight training? The general rule is that if you are doing weight training, you want to do about a gram of protein for ever pound of lean muscle. With the amount of protein you are trying to eat for your size if you aren't lifting, and drinking lots and lots of water, you could be doing lots of damage to your kidneys.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Protein needs if working out: 1 to 1.5g per lb of Lean Body Mass.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

According to US & Canadian Dietary Reference Intake guidelines, women aged 19–70 need to consume 46 grams of protein per day, while men aged 19–70 need to consume 56 grams of protein per day to avoid a deficiency.[19] The American and Canadian guidelines recommend a daily protein dietary allowance, measured as intake per kilogram body weight, is 0.8 g/kg.[15] However, this recommendation is based on structural requirements, but disregards use of protein for energy metabolism.[15] This requirement is for a normal sedentary person.[17]

Although I think it all depends on what works best for you :)

That seems very broad, don't you think; ages 19 to 70. From my understanding, to create muscle you need more than the RDA.
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I thought the protein goal was high too... I eat qorn chicken fillets- lovely and hight in protein :)
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    How about refried beans?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    After looking at it, you have a very high protein goal for the day. Is there a reason for that? Do you do a lot of weight training? The general rule is that if you are doing weight training, you want to do about a gram of protein for ever pound of lean muscle. With the amount of protein you are trying to eat for your size if you aren't lifting, and drinking lots and lots of water, you could be doing lots of damage to your kidneys.

You have to balance carbs with a high protein diet. Which the OP is doing just fine with. I could be wrong, but a high protein diet is the standard for anyone looking to increase muscle mass and decrease body fat.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    LEAN MEAT is the answer!
    I see you eat too much snacks and also few of your meals are really protein sources. Include lean meat into your diary such as Tuna cans, Chicken breast, also protein veggies such as black beans. They all are very low in cals and some of the highest protein foods!
  • spadina86
    Options
    This is a great tool to use! Definitely better to up your protein when you're exercising too!

http://health.herbalife.com/a-balanced-diet/nutrition-tools/lean-protein-estimator
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    She doesn't eat meat.

Eggs/egg whites?
  • mrdoc79
    mrdoc79 Posts: 2
    Options
    what do you have for breakfast. A little tip is i have oats for breakfast and mix in casein whey to the oats, slow release protein, easy way of getting extra protein without having to consume extra