Feet Go Numb While Running

Options
I went to a running store about 3wks ago to get fitted for some new shoes. They determined that I overpronate and told me to get Asics GT 2170 shoes which cost me $118. Well, I've ran about 8 or so times in them in the 1.5-3mi range for each run and everytime once I get to the 1-1.5mi mark the balls and toes on my feet go numb, kinda like the pins and needles feeling. I've tired switching to thinner socks (I now have under armor running socks) and not tying my laces as tight and so far nothing has worked.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas of what else I can do? I'm not sure if its the shoes or if something is wrong with my feet and I should make a doc appointment? I don't want to be out $118 and my Air Force PT test, which includes a 1.5mi run is in a month.

Replies

• c_hampagne
    c_hampagne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you run outside or on the treadmill? Also, do you get tingling when you're not running?
  • LBachynsky
    Options
    Tag to find out the answer. This happens to me with any cardio exercise and is quite painful, but I push through it. I've had trainers and doctors just shrug and say I must have poor circulation.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It may be due to the new foot position you are forced to use in the new running shoes, and once you've adjusted you'll be fine. But I can't say for sure! You may want to visit a podiatrist to be sure.
  • jillthemom
    jillthemom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I got new shoes, too. AfterI broke them in it went away. It probably took a week. I also loosened the laces.
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Do you run outside or on the treadmill? Also, do you get tingling when you're not running?

I run either outdoors or on an indoor track. So far, it's only happened while running and begins at the 1-1.5mi run.

I've done about 8-10 runs in them varying from 1.5-3mi each time, so I figured they would be broken in by now.
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You should definitely try different shoes right away. the store should let you exchange them.
  • broadbean01
    broadbean01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just swapped to these from my trusty Brookes and have the same thing. For me I think it was the change in shoe, I find it goes once I get past the 2 mile mark.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Was it a true running store or was it a sporting goods store?

If you were fitted properly for your shoes you should never have to break them in and you shouldn't have any problems. I'd go back to the store and return them. I get my shoes from Fleet Feet which is a running shoe store where I got fitted and I have never once had to break in new shoes.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had that happen with my left foot only in a pair of new balance once I hit over 5 miles. Never in my Brooks. My left foot is bigger than my right. I'd go back to the store and get a different pair of shoes. Make sure it's a running store!!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I had that for years... I wear a size 10 in alllll shoes, so I bought a 10 in running shoes always. Someone suggested that I get a size bigger... duh! Never, in 16 years of running did I think of this!!! It worked like a charm! I've never had numbness in my feet since!!!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had that for years... I wear a size 10 in alllll shoes, so I bought a 10 in running shoes always. Someone suggested that I get a size bigger... duh! Never, in 16 years of running did I think of this!!! It worked like a charm! I've never had numbness in my feet since!!!

I hear you!!! I'm a 10, but I now wear siz 11 running shoes. My feet also got bigger after having my 2 kids.
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me too, until I bought new shoes that were wider.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    check your lacings.

Asics tend to run quite narrow, so if you have narrow shoes and tight laces, constriction can cause numbing.
  • projectconsistency
    Options
    Bigger shoes solved that problem for me. Good luck!
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    My guess is they are too narrow. Our feet expand a lot during running/ exercise. Try something WIDE and LIGHTER WEIGHT. Also what kind of shoes were you wearing before? Are these lighter/heavier? Did they have different treads? Did they try to correct your foot or let your stride be what it is? What kind of shoes do you wear daily (like to work)? If the shoes are very similar style/function wise to the past shoes it's probably these are just too narrow. If this is a dramatic change, yikes- go back to something more like the old ones (unless you were having issues before). If you don't think it's the shoes- Do stretches/exercises to help strengthen/stretch your lower back and hips. Spine Misalignment there will make the feeties go numb (speaking from experience- not fun).
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me when I first started running. For me, it got worse and not better. I ended up going back to the running store that fitted me and told them my issues. They fitted me for different shoes and let me exchange them for a pair of Brooks. I went with a wide size because I need room for my toes. I also found if the socks were pulled really tight against my toes it would aggravate the issue. Hope you find some relief.
  • CharlottetheHarlot
    Options
    I have the very same issue however, I was involved in two motor vehicle accidents last year and suffered lower back injuries and SI joint trauma. I went to a Chiropractor for a gait analysis and I have collapsed metatarsal arches (the arch that runs from your big toe to your baby toe). I ordered insoles for my sneakers that have a built in metatarsal pad and it took some getting used to but the numbness is going away.

By the way, I have the same sneakers as you. I also purchased a pair of New Balance Runners and I love them. They are extra light-weight and wide for my duck feet.

Best of luck, I know how painful numb toes and pads can be.
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. I went to Fleet Feet for new shoes and not only did they fit the shoes to my feet, but they watched me walk for quite a while to figure out what shoe would be best. They gave me a larger shoe than I usually wear, and I have not had a problem since! I was told by the salesperson at Fleet Feet that shoes that are too small cause the numbness. I hope this helps.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My toes were hurting me when I hit the 4.5 mile mark... While I am not a wide foot person, I am a little wider than normal. I also needed to get a whole size bigger than I normally wear. I had originally bought half a size bigger. Once I got a different size, I have been fine.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. Although it doesn't start as soon as it used to, but inevitably it does set in after prolonged running. I've always looked for ways to fix that.