Strains and Sprains and still RUN?

Options
Just a question for the runners out here...

For a Half marathon or any race in reality, what kinds of injury have you run with and what kinds have kept you out of the race?

What was it and for how long did you need to "recuperate?"

I strained/sprained did something to my knee and have had to take a full week so far off, and hav a half May 6th and just want to hear others experiences... Its my first race and my first injury... :sad:

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've sprained my ankle during my last 20 miler before a marathon. I was stupid and 'powered' through it....well, I didn't KNOW it was sprained but man I really should have.

Long story short, it was stupid of me. I should have taken the time off and not raced but I didn't do either and the race was a distaster and I have resulting tendonitis from the sprain. good times!
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    WOnderful! (sarcasm oozes)

well, i am trying to rest like i should and do what i can but i am going to run this half, got a partner i can't disappoint! I have a month before the race so hoping to give it a couple good weeks rest then go slow the two weeks before and be good for the day!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I had an IT band issue last fall that forced me to walk the last 7km of a half marathon and miss 6 weeks of running afterward.

In retrospect I should have listened to my body (I rode a metric century the week before using cleats that didn't allow enough float) and not run - I got lots of warnings.

As much as I would hate the idea of losing an entry fee I'm never going to be on the podium and am way too old to worry about scholarships.

Didn't you post about an IT band injury earlier this week? Have you been to a massage therapist yet?
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I did post earlier, and saw an acupuncturist and massage therapist. Massage said everything just really tight, but figured it was hanstrings not IT band, but its all related. So i have stretches to do, Ice to apply and being careful for a full week before i try to run again for any distance. I am gonna pull my bike out though, and try to do that at least for a week or so and keep walking and doing strength dvds at home. Acupuncturist said its all inflamed and tight as well, so I am doing what i can do alleviate that and hope that being good for the next month makes me able to run May 6th.