Too much protein

Options
I have been here for a week, and, according to the numbers, eating too much protein. Is this going to be a problem? We generally don't eat a lot of carbs except what comes from fruit and veggies.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Set your macros to Protein and Fat 30% each and carbs will adjust to 40%.

youll burn fat that way.
  • cbermom
    cbermom Posts: 5
    Options

youll burn fat that way.

I have NO idea what that means.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Click settings>goal>change goal>custom>continue...

Set calories to a reasonable amount.
    So if you are 5'5" with about 30% body fat and workout 3-5 times a week youll want to eat appx 1600-1800 cals a day.
    Set protein and Fat to 30% each.
    Click save and you are ready for burn some fat!

Check out the link on my profile page if you need any assistance.
  • cbermom
    Options
    oh - thanks. Not sure how that will help my eating habits, but I'll check it out!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    O'rly?
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The standard settings for MFP use the lowest recommended protein amount, which I believe is around 15%. It's a good idea to go in and customize your goals to a higher percentage of your calories coming from protein. Many different source that I have read suggest at least 25 to 30% of daily calories come from protein to help maintain your lean body mass while losing fat.
  • kellsma
    kellsma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am on day 100 and have lost 43 lbs eating high protein diet. I am always way over on my protein and way under on my carbs. Generally my carbs come from fruit and vegetables. I normally have one to two days a week I allow myself "free" days where I don't follow so closely but it has worked fine for me. I am pretty happy with the weight loss in that amount of time. I also exercise hard 6-7 days per week.
  • cbermom
    Options

youll burn fat that way.

Wow!! I just did this and I see what you mean about it making a huge difference. It does not HAVE to change the WAY I eat - but it counts things differently and I am now doing better with my numbers. Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the other advice, too, everyone.