I need help! People keep telling me I am not eating enough

Options
Good Day,

So I currently weigh 182lbs and am a Male age 26. I weighed 242lbs approx. 5 months ago :) Yes I am very happy with this outcome but now I am exercising 4-5 days a week and I kept my goal 1500 but most days I dont hit it. What am I doing wrong? I did open up my diary and will take your advice.

Cheers Everyone!

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Are you having problems other than having people tell you that you're not eating enough?

Have you stopped losing weight like you want to? Have you hit a plateau? Do you not have enough energy for your workouts?

Based purely on how I would feel, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't feel like I had nearly enough to eat, but that's me. If you're looking for ways to increase your caloric intakes, try a protein shake after dinner with some peanut butter.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The problem is that 1500 is not enough for someone your size and for your activity level. Your body NEEDS a certain amount of calories to function and to perform whatever activities you choose to do.

Your body will have those calories whether you eat them or not. So if you are not eating them where is it getting them? From your body. This is fine in small amounts to promote burning fat stores but in larger amounts it will take them from things you do not want to loose like muscles and organs. You are eating yourself and that is not healthy. Sure it looks good on the scale but you kind of need muscles and organs.

Find out what you maintenance calories should be and then subtract about 500 calories. If you work out on top of that you need to increase your calories to match the amount you are burning.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Here is a calorie calculator. They are not 100% accurate and there are lots of others but fill it out and to get a ball park on how many calories you should be eating.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Hope it helps.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Recalculate your goals here to "Lose 1/2 pound a week". That low amount you were given in the beginning isn't going to work forever, and in fact will start to work against you if it hasn't already..

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ok i went back 5 days in your log.. assume what you track is right

april 3 --- net calories 867
    april 2 --- net calories 785
    april 1 --- net calories 166
    march 31 --- net calories 1623
    march 30 --- net calories -43

like... this is really really really really un healthy.. i am same size as you.. not sure height.. i am 5'8 182 atm.. i can drop 1lb a week at 2500 calories. currently eating 2000 and drop 2 pounds a week.. will adjust when i feel i start to drop strength.. thats another story tho...

now obviously everyone is different.. but if you can't drop weight at 1500 calories net( not consumed this should be at least your net).. you need to go to your dr and get your self checked out.. your body is probably eating your muscles like they candy... and you don't want this at all..

just my advice.. the chart cmriverside linked is good. i would follow that. i also think it has a tone to do with bf.. if your over 20% bf.. 2lbs a week is fine in my book.