300 cal meals

Options
REB89
REB89 Posts: 493 Member
I never realised how filling a 300 calorie meal could be if you choose the right things! If you aren't careful, you can end up with half of your calories in a dressing for a salad (i did that hahaha) but now i've discovered that by making better choices I can have a salad with tuna, tomoaotoes and beans (and a low fat dressing!) some baked chips and some fruit, all under 300 calories! Does anyone else have good suggestions of easy lunches which are filling but have around 200-300 calories? thanks!

Replies

• REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I never realised how filling a 300 calorie meal could be if you choose the right things! If you aren't careful, you can end up with half of your calories in a dressing for a salad (i did that hahaha) but now i've discovered that by making better choices I can have a salad with tuna, tomoaotoes and beans (and a low fat dressing!) some baked chips and some fruit, all under 300 calories! Does anyone else have good suggestions of easy lunches which are filling but have around 200-300 calories? thanks!
  • cjsm1cat
    Options
    I love the smart ones and the weight watcher meals that are preportioned out. Most are under 300 calories. I'm also a big fan of the 100-calorie popcorn bags. I would eat a whole bag at one time and the regulars usually contain at least 2 servings which is almost over 300 calories alone! Right now I'm stuck on the steamer bags. Eating steamed chicken and yellow squash. It's not that bad for a person who would only eat squash when it was fried. Try steamed chicken and carrots with a little garlic added or just a few potato pieces. Quick meals, low calorie and you can get your veggies in.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    The pre made meals are great and easy I take them to school. Just be careful with the sodium intake...tehy run high. And also withstand eating them before a weigh in....the sodium will make you retain water and the scale could go up.

dd
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I always do a whole grain wrap turkey with lettuce, onions, pickles, and mustard. It's pretty filling and about 300 calories. You can do the same thing with tuna and lowfat mayo or grilled chicken too. Very tasty. If you have lowcal cheese you should even be able to throw 1 or 2 pieces of that in as well.
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have alot of meals in mind that are low cal. But the one thing that I really enjoy is stuffed green peppers. You can have two halves (a whole pepper) with all the meat (ground turkey) whole grain rice, spaghetti sauce, and cheese for way under 300 cal. When I saw the recipe it called for ground beef, but I substituted for ground turkey, and the cal intake with ground beef was 300 cal for two halves. So I am figuring around 200-250cal.
  • mbaker1169
    mbaker1169 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have alot of meals in mind that are low cal. But the one thing that I really enjoy is stuffed green peppers. You can have two halves (a whole pepper) with all the meat (ground turkey) whole grain rice, spaghetti sauce, and cheese for way under 300 cal. When I saw the recipe it called for ground beef, but I substituted for ground turkey, and the cal intake with ground beef was 300 cal for two halves. So I am figuring around 200-250cal.

Hey! Would you mind posting your recipe? That sounds yummy!!
    Melissa
  • lshutt
    lshutt Posts: 11
    Options

that sounds great...mind sharing the recipe
    Lisa
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    shrimp and apple salad

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon water
    48 tiny frozen shrimp, thawed (about 1 cup)
    2 tablespoons chopped red onion
    3 apples, cored and cubed
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley
    1 teaspoon dried dill
    4 teaspoons horseradish
    1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    Ground black pepper, to taste
    4 tomatoes, cored

Directions
    In a nonstick frying pan, heat the water over medium heat. Add the shrimp and onion, and saute until the shrimp is opaque and the onions are translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until well chilled.

In a small bowl, add the apples and lemon juice. Toss to coat evenly and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the celery, parsley, dill, horseradish and mayonnaise. Add the black pepper to taste. Stir in the shrimp mixture and the apples. Refrigerate until well chilled, 45 to 60 minutes.

Just before serving, stuff the shrimp salad into the cored tomatoes. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Analysis(per serving)Serving size: 1 stuffed tomato
    Calories 140 Cholesterol 48 mg
    Protein 8 g Sodium 322 mg
    Carbohydrate 26 g Fiber 5 g
    Total fat 1 g Potassium 563 mg
    Saturated fat trace Calcium 47 mg
    Monounsaturated fat trace
  • trishkizer
    Options
    That green pepper recipies sound delicious! I have been looking for a good recipie that is low in cals. Thanks can't wait to try it! =)