I need your opinion

Options
Jay_83
Jay_83 Posts: 446
Hey everyone!!!
I am needing some opinions on a career venture. I have been stuck in a housekeeping position for two years now and I'm sick of it. :grumble: :grumble: I do have a degree in Geography and am able to make maps. This is not an advertisement for myself what-so-ever!!!! I had an idea to design maps for wedding invitations, graduations, family reunions, sports events etc. I like the idea, but this is just me. I dont know if there is a market for it out there. I thought maybe i should do some research first before I even start anything. So I thought I would ask all of you that have been supporting me through this weight loss journey, your opinions on this idea. Do you think people would use this service??? Is this a good or bad idea???

I'm so confused with my career path, I think I just need a little incite. Please help!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmm maybe?

what would your maps offer that would be better than a (free) printed mapquest? I'm not being funny, would they be prettier/unique in a way that would get brides to pay for them?

maybe you could teach geography?
  • thewolfman
    thewolfman Posts: 21
    Options
    I think it's a cool idea, I think you'd probably need to make it a part of the whole deal though. Meaning you'd probably be best off and secure the most customers if you offered the whole package, invitation etc design and customized map. Not sure if you'd get a lot of calls for just the maps, maybe you could partner with someone who could take care of the layout and design stuff if that's not your forte. Buy your own printers and supplies and you could be golden!

I have a buddy who is a Cartographer in WPG, any chance of you getting a job like that?
  • Jay_83
    Options
    Ya I saw mapquest, google, yahoo map as some choices . . . I would definately personalize them more than just a map printed off from Google. Just having the appropriate roads, none of the N/A ones. Images and photos. There would be some definate design in the map.
    to teach geography, id have to go back to school and get my education degree as well . . .

I was searching on kijiji and found some home based invitation makers . . . maybe team up with them. I also know a wedding decorator (that actually did my husband and my wedding) and maybe ask her if she would offer my services to her clients. Contract me out or something.

I have been searching for a job here in Saskatoon since I have graduated(May 2008) and no one will hire someone without experience. So I want to take matters into my own hands. I would have to move out of province to get a GIS/mapping job and this is where we want to be. soooo i'm trying my best to use my degree with what i have.:happy: Cartography would be my dream job . . . :love:

Thanks for your thoughts!!!:bigsmile:
  • Jay_83
    Options
    Any other opinions??:bigsmile: