Swimming burns this many calories?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    wait net calories at your goal? what does that mean? my goal is 1,200 and I usually eat around that...

well if you look on your home page, you will see the list of calories allowed, food eaten, exersise done, and net. The net is the total calories you have eaten for the day after exersise is added in. So at the end of the day you could have like 10 calories left to eat, and say your calorie allowance is 1200, your net may see something different based on the amount of exersise you did. As long as your net is close to 1200 calories wether by eating back some exersise calories or working out harder and not eating anything back, then you have about 1200 calories in your body by the end of the day.
  • jbiebz1499
    Options
    Oh hmm...mine is usually at 0 or 100...I just don't think I would even be able to eat my exercise calories...that would be eating over 2,000 calories and I'm full by 1,200 or less
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Oh hmm...mine is usually at 0 or 100...I just don't think I would even be able to eat my exercise calories...that would be eating over 2,000 calories and I'm full by 1,200 or less

hehe, different strokes for different folks my friend. I try to eat my exersise calories back and get as close to my 1600 net goal as much as possible. To make sure that right then, for the day, in my body is as close to 1600 calories I can get. It is still just as hard to eat more than my allowance though. I havent been so hungry lately. I think my stomach shrank. NSV!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My husband is a swim coach, and I know when he used to compete himself, he ate A LOT! His problem was continuing to eat that much when he stopped ;)

I would say though that as a trained swimmer, your goal is to get through a distance, as fast as possible, as streamlined as possible. That means with as little effort as possible! Your technique will gradually have adapted to use less energy than a untrained swimmer would swimming the same distance and maybe even the same time period.

Please do try and eat back some exercise cals though. There is no way if you are training as much as the swimmers I know that you can get by on 1200cals a day.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    HRM + water sounds like a bad idea. Unless there is one that is waterproof?

haha i was thinking that
  • Cwilliams8676
    Options
    Ive been swimming this week due to an ankle shin injury and i have been jogging walking and doing laps I feel tired and hungry like my usual hard workouts the added benefit of being relaxed in the water too I love swimming I dont think ill give it up
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Swimming engages almost all the muscles (as opposed to almost any other exercise that only targets a few), and your body temperature is regulated by the water around you so you don't sweat. So, yeah, you'll burn all that and possibly more if you are swimming energetically.

And if you are burning 1100 calories swimming, it's important to add at least most of them back to your daily intake. The web site has already calculated a caloric intake that will allow you to lose weight at a healthy, measured pace. Don't try to race your way to your ideal weight - it's counterproductive and could lead to both frustration and potentially to health problems.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Options
    Swimming engages almost all the muscles (as opposed to almost any other exercise that only targets a few), and your body temperature is regulated by the water around you so you don't sweat. So, yeah, you'll burn all that and possibly more if you are swimming energetically.

And if you are burning 1100 calories swimming, it's important to add at least most of them back to your daily intake. The web site has already calculated a caloric intake that will allow you to lose weight at a healthy, measured pace. Don't try to race your way to your ideal weight - it's counterproductive and could lead to both frustration and potentially to health problems.

I get annoyed in a way for the i need to lose 5 or more pounds a week Enjoy the journey I am :) Anyway great reply
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i used to swim competitively. now i really wanna start again :)

me too! I miss those days!

In my experience MFP is very close, if not dead on with what I burn when running and what my HRM says.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    At the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, we were told that the swimmers are the athletes that need to eat the most...IIRC the top competitive male swimmers were eating upwards of 4000 cal/day.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I swim 1 hour 6 days a week, 2 km at least every day.
    Love it, it clears my head and is stress reliefing.
    I just think I am not eating enough to loose weight because I am stuck since weeks. :(
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I used to competitive swim, and that count looks about right to me.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    your body temperature is regulated by the water around you so you don't sweat.

Actually, you do sweat a lot, you just don't realize how much because you're in water. It's one of the main reasons that indoor pools have air quality issues on big meet weekends, it's not because their "big as$ fans" aren't working, or the vapors from the kicking, or too much chlorine or bromine in the pool, or all the bodies, it's from poorly managing the ph balance of the pool when you add all the sweat from the multitudes of swimmers in and out of the water racing and sweating in the pool all weekend long.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    HRM + water sounds like a bad idea. Unless there is one that is waterproof?

haha i was thinking that

most are water proof, otherwise they would corrode with sweat. Mine is waterproof to 25 or 50 ft (I can't remember which).