real eggs vs. egg substitute?

Options
I am considering trying a substitute to cut fat and calories, but is the sodium worth it? Preferred brands?

Replies

• theNurseNancy
    Options
    If you find it really necessary to cut those calories, then sure. I usually eat whole eggs, but not more than one or two, and not every day. As for the sodium, let me put it this way. Do you usually add salt to your eggs? How's that any different from the sodium in the substitute?
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I personally would cut calories in a different way. I love eggs!
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I use egg substitute all the time - genetically predisposed to high cholesterol - and even enjoy the generic stuff, like Kroger brand. It also is a lot easier to bake with.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why not just use real eggs? it's cheaper and no added sodium. if you want to avoid the yolk then separate the yolk out. but keep in mind that the yolk has the good kind of fat
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My chickens would be offended if I ate fake eggs. Eggs are one of Dr. Oz' top ten essentials:

10. Eat a Hard-boiled Egg

Eggs are protein powerhouses that provide 13% of your daily protein and only 4% of your daily calories. These excellent, inexpensive protein sources fight frailty. Rich in choline, they also reduce inflammation in the brain, which has been linked to Alzheimer’s. Cook up a week’s worth in advance and take them with you on the go. If you’re not a fan of hard-boiled eggs, eat one a day scrambled, poached or any other way you like it.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am considering trying a substitute to cut fat and calories, but is the sodium worth it? Preferred brands?

There isn't necessarily sodium added to all liquid eggs. If you look at whole eggs on here, you will see that they naturally have quite a bit of sodium as it is (for something that has none added to it). Perhaps the sodium you are seeing is just the natural sodium in the egg whites themselves. I cannot say that is the case for all brands. Perhaps the liquid egg whites that come out of the carton yellow do have more than just colouring to them, but I buy liquid egg whites that are just that. The ingredient list is short and simple: liquid egg whites. It comes out white like it should, and it cooks up just like an egg without the yolk.

If you are going to buy liquid eggs, that is what I would recommend. That being said, I do eat whole eggs too. If you have the calories, why not? They might be higher fat, but the yolk contains all of the nutrients of the egg, so that added bit of fat IS good for you all things considered. I eat my liquid whites only when I need a low calorie option that will give me a protein boost. Or sometimes I mix 1/4 cup of those with a full egg. It bulks up the single egg, gives me double protein but without twice the calories/fat.

Edit: Just in case your curious, the brand I buy is Naturegg Free-run Liquid Egg Whites.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eggs are only 70 cals each.... why bother replacing them?
    Just pay attention to portions or what you are having with them.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I tried an egg substitute and thought it was disgusting. I'd stick with real eggs, they're only 70-80 cals each which isn't all that bad.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I eat real eggs too...tried fake eggs once and did not care for them.
  • onehotgirl
    onehotgirl Posts: 120
    Options
    eww the thought of eating fake eggs grosses me out, I don't even think you can buy them in this country (nz) thank goodness
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I like to mix natural eggs with Kirkland "Real Eggs"(packaged egg whites) just to save on calories.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Just pay attention to portions or what you are having with them.

This^^^^^
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

because you can have substitue for 25 or so calories per 3 TBS. quantity sometimes trumps. especially when it's lower cal.

get the southwest flavored. really, really good. makes great scrambled or omelet.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info!!! I think I might stick with my eggs!!!
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Egg substitute? Seriously? Like people had to eat during World War II because of the food shortages?
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Eat Real eggs, but you should eat Organic Eggs.. they are so much better...
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

because you can have substitue for 25 or so calories per 3 TBS. quantity sometimes trumps. especially when it's lower cal.

get the southwest flavored. really, really good. makes great scrambled or omelet.

I've never had substitute eggs but for, let's say, 2 egg (140 calories), you are getting a tremendous benefit. Not only the nutrients, but actually feeling FULL -- all for 140 calories. It's only 100 calories (I'm not sure how much 3 TBS actually is) you're getting in return. It's completely worth cutting caloires somewhere else. Team Eggs!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you buy a prepackaged substitute when you can get a dozen eggs for 1.49 and separate them your self, or just eat them whole!

Also dietary cholesterol DOES NOT RAISE CHOLESTEROL LEVELS IN YOUR BLOOD!
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I consider egg subs to be franken-foods. Eggs are nature's PERFECT protein. Just don't overdo it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Wait, do you mean like the Egg Beaters because if you do READ THE INGREDIENTS! I used to buy those until I read the ingredients. All crap! If I feel the need to buy egg substitutes I'll do the egg whites. Ingredients on those: Egg Whites.

Skip the beaters and eat a real egg.

ETA: I love eggs and wouldn't ever consider cutting them out of my diet.