Calorie counting for foods not listed

Options
:frown: How do you guys calculate food that you do not have the nutrition guide. Like today I had to take a client to lunch and it did not have nutrition/caloric info available. I had the salmon salad. It had mixed lettuce (mainly spinach), the salmon (pretty big piece like maybe an 8oz) and dressing. Had a corn relish on the side but I did not eat that. Do you just add up salmon, lettuce and the dressing?

Replies

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I would guess-timate, it's really the only thing you can do, break it down like you mentioned and enter everything individually, it's as close as you can get.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    First, if its a chain restraunt, you might be able to find the nutritional info online.

Worst case scenario,and as annoying as it is, you will have to add all the components of the salad seperately :explode: Annoying? Yes! Most accurate way? Best way I've found.
  • ndiamond
    ndiamond Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My friend made turkey chili today...try to figure that one out!!!

I picked something comparable.
  • katemadrigal
    Options
    Pretty much. That's exactly what I do. Once I attended a business meeting with a catered lunch of pasta with an alfredo sauce...nothing healthy about it! I ended up guesstimating the calories in the 1/2 cup serving and adding it to the database as "business lunch" and plugging in the cal total. I just made it visable only to me, as that would not make much sense to anyone else that chooses it.

However, I find that when I do this, I don't sabotage the rest of my day, whereas before I'd use it as an excuse to eat badly the entire rest of the day. Kudos to you for making such a healthy lunch choice!
  • alligator1970
    Options
    Great thanks. No it is not a national chain. Little place in SC. GREAT food. I just added up the components. The only other problem is the dressing. It was sort of a honey mustard type but thinner and a little sweeter. Just scared I will be way off and eat over my limit. Thanks all.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Great thanks. No it is not a national chain. Little place in SC. GREAT food. I just added up the components. The only other problem is the dressing. It was sort of a honey mustard type but thinner and a little sweeter. Just scared I will be way off and eat over my limit. Thanks all.

Might sound anal, but I always bring my own dressing in a little container, that way I know exactly what i'm eating...i'm odd, my hubby thinks it's strange, but it works!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I had that happen once and I called the place. The women that owned the place had all the nutritional info I needed. Women are awesome!.
  • bitty_401
    bitty_401 Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi there, you could go to this site sparkpeople recipe calculator and the log it at MFP.I do that to be sure of the nutrition data.Good luck