New Runner Help!

Options
Hey all, I am beginning to incorporate running into my weight loss plan by using C25K. In high school (5 years ago) I was running 1-2 miles 3x a week, but since having a baby, nada! I really am enjoying C25K and am finding it challenging, but not impossible. My only problem is the incredibly painful headache I get halfway through every single run. My head starts pounding and it lasts for the rest of the day (until I take a painkiller). They get less and less painful with each run, but they are still a huge nuisance. I try to drink 5+ 16 oz glasses of water a day, so I don't think that I'm not hydrated enough. Any advice or suggestions? Also, I find my fingers swelling to the size of sausages towards the end of my runs. What's going on?!

Replies

• alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What's your heart rate like while running?
  • Brown_Eyed_Beauty
    Brown_Eyed_Beauty Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good point about the heart rate. My HRM tells me when Im pushing too hard. Maybe thats it, but Im not a Dr.

I'm doing a similar program but having a hard time staying on track with it. I had really bad foot and lower leg pain for a few weeks so I've taken a break. I would talk to your doctor. The best body ache OTC meds I have found are bayer back and body. Im not sure how taking pain meds affects workouts though.
  • sarahkindel
    sarahkindel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I full on run it gets pretty high (around 185), but I try to keep it around 170 - 175 by jogging.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd have a chat to your doctor about this - if you have good hydration and nutrition then there must be something going on to give you such a bad headache.
    Try slowing down the pace a bit and see if you do better this way - maybe building up your endurance with slow running or run/walking might be a good place to start.
  • sarahkindel
    sarahkindel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think you may be onto something. At first I pushed myself too hard and the headaches were terrible. Today for example, I paced myself much better and didn't strain near as much. A tiny headache developed but once I got home and had a glass of water it had nearly gone away.
  • DreamiJeani
    Options
    Drink drink drink and drink some more. :) and also focus on your breathing. I notice if I let my mind wander away too far I dont breath properly and headache ensues. You should be able to carry on a "brief sentence" conversation while running. Good luck and welcome back to the running world!
  • javier1280
    Options
    I am pretty experienced runner (8 marathons, 6 half-marathons) and the symptoms you are describing, tend to occur for a few different reasons.

1) A lack of electrolytes and salt will give you sausage fingers and headaches.

2) Water can actually makes this worse, b/c it dilutes the salt/electrolytes. Try incorporating G2 (or half-gatorade/half-water) into your hydration plan during the day when you plan to run.

3) Breathing. If you are holding your breath you deprive yourself of oxygen and that can cause headaches. Slow down your run and maybe switch to a run/walk interval. Run 4 min, walk 1 min. This helps with weight loss and helps regulate your breathing.

GOOD LUCK!