Inconvenience! HELP!

Options
I am having a real problem with inconvenience, guys. I'm always running late, so as a result, I'm always grabbing a bagel and a fancy coffee drink at Starbucks (since its the closest thing to me) which #1- hurts me wallet and #2- hurts my weight loss progress... HELP! I need ideas!!! :(

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Make things ahead of time. There are a lot of breakfast recipes that you can make beforehand and grab on your way out the door. You could even make food for the entire week ahead!

Here's a slideshow of make-ahead breakfast recipes.
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/quick-breakfast-recipes-00412000070253/
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy protein bars it may help to pack one in your purse each morning with a bottle of water. Promax Bar in BlackForest Cake is a favorite of my husband.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If this is breakfast, I would buy mini bagels and keep them at home. Invest in a cappucino maker (you can find brand new Krups ones on cragslist) and pre-set it at night.

Then, when you're in a hurry, grab your bagel and your fancy coffee from home and hit the road.

If this is lunch, packing what you like the night before will do the trick. I was a Starbucks addict as well. Those blueberry scones!!!!!

Once I saw the calories though, I dropped them likea hot potato. Only on my birthday now, with my free Starbucks coffe drink.

Good Luck!
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    Get up earlier.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    Try setting up the days meals the day before. Thats what I do. I set up from breakfast all the way to my late afternoon snack so I avoid the greasy lunch truck and vending machine at work. :laugh:
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Make things ahead of time. There are a lot of breakfast recipes that you can make beforehand and grab on your way out the door. You could even make food for the entire week ahead!

Here's a slideshow of make-ahead breakfast recipes.
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/quick-breakfast-recipes-00412000070253/

Thank you for the link!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Not the best thing for me but I buy the Jimmy Dean D-Lights sandwiches......90 sec in the microwave either on my way out the door or when I get to work......Little high in sodium but a lot better than anything you are buying at Starbucks.

http://www.jimmydean.com/d-lights/default.htm
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    set your clocks forward 5 mins, or more if that doesn't work. When I had kids they were 15mins fast but we were never late.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    If you get your starbucks drink "skinny" the largest latte shouldn't be more than 160 calories
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Monday and Tuesday this week my husband and I microwaved leftover spinach and sausage frittata for breakfast. For RUSHED mornings I keep a few Luna bars around. I drink black coffee, and my husband is a morning person, so he makes it. :smile: However, before I met him, a coffee pot with a timer really helped.
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Its all about planning. I had the same problem with Dunkin Donuts. Now that I have weaned myself, I take the time on the weekends to get a nice chunk of my food for the week ready. Choose breakfasts that you can freeze or make the night before. Find a brand of bagels that you really like. You may need to try a couple different brands before you get it right. dont give up. once you figure out healthy substitutions for the things you love, youre on your way!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast (especially now)
    greek yogurt, chopped fruit and granola or chopped nuts (maybe some honey too). You can mix up your own parfaits the night before. Or even all week and then add the granola when you are rushing out the door. Or leave the granola in your desk at work and eat at your desk.

Since this is spring, you can load up on berries. Or even do banana, apple, or frozen fruits. I LOVE frozen mango for this purpose. You can buy one of those 16 oz or 32 oz tubs of plain greek yogurt.

(and still get your coffee, but maybe something a little less fancy: with no whipped cream in a tall)
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    can you forgo breakfast? i used to have this problem and now i just drink water in the morning and usually don't eat until lunchtime (never really hungry when i first wake up anyway). it really helps me stay on track!
    or, i will drink a protein shake. some come in ready to drink bottles/cans, which could be very convenient and much cheaper than what you're currently doing! good luck!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Make breakfast the night before. You could make a scramble egg with a sausage link and mix veg wrap in a whole wheat tortilla. then in the morning as you are getting ready throw in the microwave, wrap in foil and out the door.

Or go back to your childhood days. Measure out your favorite breakfast cereal in a zip lock bag. In the morning grab your bag and a glass of milk and go. dry cereal and milk.

I agree invest in a machine for home and set the night before and take it. Cheaper, can make less calorie versions of your favorite drink and not tempted by the glass case.

Also apple slices with peanut butter on them would be good. Protein and fruit. Or toast with peanut butter and a piece of fruit.

None of these are ideal but better then a venti Caramel Macchiato (or what ever your favorite is) and an oversize bagel with likely way to much cream cheese.
  • dypab
    dypab Posts: 19
    Options
    When I have to go to Starbucks for breakfast (which is when I fly out every Monday morning) ... I go with a Non-fat Misto and a greek yogurt parfait... still sinful... but within a decent range for breakfast calories.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    1. leave earlier!
    2. plan ahead - put a muesli bar and an apple in your handbag before you go to bed so you have a quick and healthy (depending on the bar!) snack ready to go.
    3. drink black coffee with your apple - you get the caffeine hit without the sugar and calories.
    4. change your thinking about fancy Starbucks "coffees" - they are really just candy in disguise. Would you eat candy for breakfast? (I have to admit that I have but I don't recommend it every day!).
    5. bake some veggie muffins or mini fritattas on the weekend and put them in the freezer in individual serves so you have something quick and easy to grab on your way out the door.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i always have something like banana, cheese heads, apple, protein bar, that i can grab if necessary on the way out the door. i have hypoglycemia and breakfast is a must! or if you can plan it out on sundays, that works too. otherwise, get up earlier! when you start that, you find that you actually enjoy it sometimes.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Make ahead! Hard boil a bunch of eggs, make big pots of your grains and staple veggies for the week to mix with fresh veg. Pre cut/bag snack items (trail mix, carrots, etc.) I try to cook a couple hours on a Sunday and it saves me loads of time during the week. Plus I eat better and save money.

Friday it all goes to *kitten*, but at least I was good for most of the week.

edit: my reply was more about lunch/dinner, but same diff.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier so you aren't running late...
  • alphagirl82
    Options
    I usually end up not having time to prepare breakfast in advance about once per week and Starbucks is my absolute FAVORITE healthy option. I always get black Americanos, which have about 5 calories, and either a spinach-feta-egg white wrap or oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts (hold the sugar). If I've worked out, I add a banana for additional calories. These options are low calorie, relatively low sugar and fat, and high in nutrients. A lot of their pre-packaged plates are good options as well (the protein plate or the chicken with small tortillas, cabbage, salsa, and a couple slices of cheese).

Just stay away from the high calorie drinks and pastries and you should be just fine!