Calories Late in the Day

Options
Evening all. First time poster with a quick question.

Sometimes it is hard for me to stay on track with enough calories throughout the day at work. I get extremely busy and sometimes do not get a chance to eat a big enough lunch or take small breaks to intake some calories throughout the day. I may come home at night with many, MANY calories yet to consume (after a 400 cal lunch and 45 mins of hard bicycling, I am sitting around 1500 calories I can still consume today).

My question is, in order to approach my daily caloric intake goals and not slow my metabolism, should I be trying to consume that many calories late in the day, or should I just take the occasional low calorie day here and there. I don't like snacking after eight in the evening, so I'd have to eat a HUGE supper, and I'm not into that.

Any advise...?

Replies

• emmie110
    emmie110 Posts: 176
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I always pay for it on the scale if I eat a lot of calories late in the day. I wouldn't think one low day every now and then would hurt.
  • dpagnac
    dpagnac Posts: 2
    Options
    Kind of what I figured. I'll have to plan my day's better...
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing when I started and I plateaued immediately. What I do is, I eat 5 "meals" a day. I try to spread out my calories equally(300 some for meal 1, 300 some for meal 2 so on and so on...). I think it's healthier to do it that way than 100 some cals for breakfast...500 cals for lunch. 700 for dinner...
    I barely have any time at work to eat. I take a snack bar or a ziplock bag full of peanuts/almonds/etc just to be able to get the cals in during the day. Once I started equaling out cals I started losing weight and inches again.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    i agree that finding ways to get your calories in during the day is the best way...nuts, or your own trail mix with a mixture of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit is a great way because it doesn't have to be refrigerated or prepared.

That being said, a low day every now and then isn't a bad thing...just as a high day once in a while is good. It "shocks" your body a little, keeps your metabolism from leveling out, and makes it less likely you will plateau.