Replies

• skowalska
    skowalska Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ahhh im a chocolate monster right now! going through TOM right now :(
  • jenga727
    jenga727 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am totally opposite! When its that time of the month for me its like you cant get me to stop working out! I work out harder and longer during those 3 or 4 days than I do any other day of the month! I do have my cravings though but I dont over do it on them!
  • NetteH13
    NetteH13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have ANY cravings. Never have. But I definitely put on that water weight. I never see a weight loss during my TOM. Never! Such a bummer! Anyhoo, hope you find something that helps you out with this.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Black Licorice keeps it all at bay for me, I have no idea why.
  • Jeanne78832
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble with my period until i had my Dr. give me the Mirena-T IUD and now i don't have my period anymore. I have been using it for 7 years now and it is great not having my period.
  • junglejd13
    junglejd13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think every woman can relate, it's hard enough trying to get healthy without having all the fun associated with surfing the crimson wave. Recently, I had a really bad 2 weeks when it was around my TOM, but now I told myself that I wasn't going to throw away everything just because of my hormones. However, I agree with some of the other posts, if you crave something and nothing else can replace it, and it fits into your daily values, then go ahead and eat it. So if I splurge and eat something naughty(I love Chipotle) even when I feel miserable (cramps anyone?), I will force myself to exercise, even if it's just a short walk, and I usually feel better afterwards and it does help curbs bad cravings.(If you haven't already indulged).
    Try to eat a lot of greens and veggies to keep your water content up along with lots of water (especially if you indulge in some salty deliciousness) I know a lot of women crave chocolate, so eat some really nice and fancy dark chocolate, I for some reason crave peanut butter, so I indulge with almond butter, has less added sugar. I typically workout 6x a week and rest or light walk on day 7 and this really helps keep my TOM gain in check.
  • GoddessJuliya
    GoddessJuliya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    BUMP! lol
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    3 words

Chocolate Almond Milk.

It saves me!
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    Cardio exercise is the one thing I really need. I get crabby, irritable and have a short fuse. When I start feeling that way I need to get out and move around. It also helps supress my appetite for a while afterwards, as well as acting as a distraction from the munchies.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! Just want to put everything in my mouth and lay around and watch TV. Bad stuff
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What helps me get through pms is plenty of choclate protein smoothies and lots of water. As for the emotion part, try cardio kick boxing, it's great for releasing the energy.
  • aresbabe
    aresbabe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am going through this right now!! You are not alone and I thank all the ladies for the help and support. My trainer/friend recommended teas (flavored) but they are not cutting it. I tried fruit and still hungry. My body wants chocolate and peanut butter for some reason. Reeces anyone? Lol.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    chocolate protien shakes for that craving
    put as many veggies in the worlds largest salad. I will also add nuts and strawberries for that salty sweet thing.
    make some whole grain or wheat muffins so it isnt as bad
    Frozen fruit for that sweet spot
    lots of water
    and long slow walks on the tread while watching a movie.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different- I agree that it helps, but even those 2-3 days before my period comes, I still sometimes have cycles where I feel totally starving, and it is related to PMS. I've been on the pill (in 3 different forms) for 6 years.

I remember reading somewhere that the week before our periods, our BMR increases about 100 calories. Although this doesn't totally explain all the PMS stories here, it points to a larger, chemical change in our bodies. I wonder if anyone has done research on this.
    I understand that this isn't the answer for everyone, but continuous birth control to keep hormone levels stable may be an option to talk to your doctor about.
  • doctbone
    doctbone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different- I agree that it helps, but even those 2-3 days before my period comes, I still sometimes have cycles where I feel totally starving, and it is related to PMS. I've been on the pill (in 3 different forms) for 6 years.

I remember reading somewhere that the week before our periods, our BMR increases about 100 calories. Although this doesn't totally explain all the PMS stories here, it points to a larger, chemical change in our bodies. I wonder if anyone has done research on this.
    I understand that this isn't the answer for everyone, but continuous birth control to keep hormone levels stable may be an option to talk to your doctor about.

By continuous birth control, I mean BC that keeps your hormones stable by taking continuously and not having off weeks and thus reducing or eliminating periods. For some people PMS and PMDD disrupt their lives so much that this is a good solution for them, with their doctor's approval.
  • pinkri
    pinkri Posts: 11
    Options
    Try taking some Primrose Oil Capsules, I take x1 1000mg (top recommended dosage) 3 consecutive days before i'm due on and it helps not only my cravings, but mood swings too!
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have the same problem. My hunger is out of control, my emotions are out of control and I feel REALLY EDGY....my boyfriend tiptoes through the house on those days.
    It's like my whole body is screaming because this big event is coming up again.
    But I've noticed taking extra iron pills on those few days really makes me less tense, and when I'm less edgy I binge a liltte less too. Also the first day of my periods will feel more relaxed. IRON PILLS <---- try it!
  • cherchechristine
    cherchechristine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I found this website that was really interesting, it give ways on substituting junky for healthy but still hitting the 'spot' and also somethings that women with PMS may be lacking. Tackle these one's and the cravings may not be so bad

http://www.ehow.com/how_2105392_deal-pms-food-cravings.html

OMG… Just went there. Sounds like great advice, but right between points 2 and 3 is a link to WHITE CASTLE? Crack me up.
    bump
  • j3nnal3igh13
    Options
    wow. I forgot about this thread! Was good to read through again. Lots of AWESOME tips! Now time to try them again, since I'm back to it. :o)

This past week was tough. Wish I would have seen this then!! lol
  • AmazingTech
    Options
    if I feel like eating during my TOM instead I decide to do something else to focus me, I know after wards I will regret eating a load of crap and feel worse so I do some running, do some shooting, do something to focus and then I tend feel better and if I still want to then I don't need to feel guilty because ive kind of earnt it