There is a big difference between eating more to lose weight

Options

Replies

• paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks ESSJAY76 for sharing this post it is so true!!
  • DoingthisforChris
    Options
    To me, eating more to lose weight is summed up by this article:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1260

Eat more food in volume and weight, but eat less in calories. Keeps you full. without the "bad macro"-calorie heavy.

If to eat the "homemade" way (from the article) and are looking for more more than just weight loss, to transition into a healthy lifestyle, and maintain your exercise, you can still have a hard time hitting those calorie goals MFP calculates for you.

Great Link thanks for the share
  • IHeartNewMe
    IHeartNewMe Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    i thin kyou've explained this better than anyone on this site so far :flowerforyou:

I had the same thought. :flowerforyou:
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The way I ate before, I did not eat just because I was hungry. I ate because it tasted good, especially the food that was bad for me. So yes I can say I am not starving and when I do feel hunger I eat. In the past, I did not wait to feel hunger. I just kept myself stuffed all the time.
  • Peachy_T
    Peachy_T Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later:smile:
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    yes i agree with this. i think there is a huge difference between eating 1200, 1600, 2000 or 3000... i'm sure what i ate before was like 2500 a day some days so it doesn't surprise me that i gained weight. some days i woudl eat a few donuts for breakfast (so 700 cals)... a few candy bars... 200 cals... lunch was pizza (3 slices so about 800 cals)... then maybe another granola bar or snack for lunch (300 cals).... and something for dinner (maybe 400)... that types of day would be about 2400 ish and were pretty typical for me. plus i wasn't exercising...

and now i watch everything i eat and write it down... huge difference.
    i agree that we don't really know what we are eating or how much unless we track it
  • Figment14300
    Options
    bump
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Well for me I am only eatin 1000 calories a day and though I'm not stuff every day I am much more satisfied because before I started this I skipped supper completely during the week days but pigged out on the weekend and that normally did it for me but as I've gotten older that isn't working so well. So since I was already used to not eating as much during the week I only eat 1000 a day but I am hoping to up it to 1200 eventually. I've lost 11 pounds so far and have only be doing this about 4 weeks and so far I love it as it lets me eat what I want and yes I am eating healthier than I was before, plus I am drinking lots more water and that does make you full
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    . Maybe a cheat day would bring my average calories up/

I'm not discouraging "cheat" or "diet vacation" days, as long as you log them. However, if you're having trouble meeting your calories on a daily basis, routine cheating as a way to make up for it is counterproductive. You'll still lose weight, but you'll be sending your body confusing signals.

Isn't there anything you like to eat that's energy-dense and pretty rich in whatever of the Holy Triangle (carbs, fats, proteins) you are short on?
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    What I don't understand is, most people came to MFP because they were eating well above their recommended caloric intake, so how all of a sudden are they now not able to eat exercise calories back and not eat up to 1200, 1300, 1400 calories?

The problem is that we are now eating good food that fills you up. If I eat good protein and lots of fruit and veggies and try to keep fat < 20%, calorie intake will be low and I will be stuffed. 400 calories of good protein and fruit and veggies will stuff you.

Sure when I was eating bad...I could eat 1/2 a pizza ( 4 pieces) and calories would be 1500-2000 calories or go to the chineese buffett and blow them out of the water with a couple egg rolls.

Today, I have to work on trying to add good calories. Maybe add some protein powder or nuts to my food or eating greek yogurt.

I really agree with this statement. I use to go to McDonalds and eat a value meal just for dinner and that's over 1,000 and I was barely full, but now I eat fruits, veggies and protein and I have to eat a lot more of it to get up to my 1,200 calorie. So I am eating more food than before because I'm eating food with a lot less calories. I do agree that people think they need to drastically change their diets, but I understand why people are getting more full from what they are eating now.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Only last week have I started to UP my calories so that I am eating to at least my BMR. It is hard and not seen a loss at all (BUT I have lost 7.5 inches) but this post is FAB!! It isn't a race, or rather it is and slow and steady wins it! x
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    BEST POST EVER!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for writing it all out so well. Beautiful job!
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm alone in this but I have NO problem eating back calories from exercising. #thisiswhyi'mfat? LOL :)
    Aside from that, I know that when MFP suggested I cut to 1400 I was cool with it. Then I upped it to 2 lbs to see what that would take and it said 1200. I tried that for 2 weeks and practically murdered everyone around me. Thank god I'm up to 1340!
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between eating more to lose weight and eating how you used to eat.

(snip)

I bet you that for most people, if you were to take an *honest* look at what you were *really* eating before you came to MFP, and just logged your calories as you normally ate when you gained weight, you were probably eating well above 2500, 3000, or even 4000 calories a day. For most average size people, that could account to a 10, 20, or even 30 pound weight gain. (This is the average person, this is not counting someone who may have other health issues going on...)
    (snip)

The whole point when people say "eat more to lose weight" is that you don't have to go to such extreme measures (going from 3000+ calories a day to 1200! That's just crazy!)

Just get used to eating a little less than your maintenance calories. "Eat more to lose weight" does not mean stuffing your face with seconds, thirds, box loads, and packages of all the stuff you used to eat. You're still reducing calories if you're eating like you were at your goal weight.

It boggles my mind, especially when I read about folks who have 30+ pounds to lose and all of a sudden say they are "fine" and "not starving" eating only 1200 calories a day now.

i snipped parts of your original post to highlight some things i've said myself to my friends who tell me "i have a hard time eating 1400 calories...." and i think "funny, just last month i saw you snarf down 4 slices of pizza"....

i didn't get fat eating a healthy 2000 calorie diet and exercising at a modarate level, i got fat cause i ate junk and sat on my butt all the time. so now i eat a lot more healthy foods, fuel my body properly, and exercise my tail off. it's an excellent compromise. my body stopped losing weight when i started starving it.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Essjay, what is this sense you speak? None of that here! ;)
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Great post!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Before I started losing weight back in January, I calorie checked what I was eating...I was ranging between 1400-1600 calories NOT ON A DIET. 1361 is my BMR. I was steadily gaining weight. So not always true that people were eating 2400 calories.

I don't know what your height and weight are, and how much you're looking to lose, but that's why I had to had to specify "most" "average" people... not if you had some sort of health issue that continuously caused you to gain weight on that amount of calories. You may have an extraordinary case.

Not necessarily an exception. Mt BMR is either 1214 or 1416, depending on the method used to calculate. My TDEE with sedentary as my multiplier could easily be under 1600. That doesn't give much wiggle room in regards to diet and lifestyle without exercise.